Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryaxnb

Best sourceports/Needs most improvement ports/Ports you use the most

I couldn't really pin down a best source port. After I started looking into different ports a couple weeks ago, I tried a lot of them out, and I feel like each one is good for a different purpose. I use ZDoom/GZDoom (sort of on the fence between the two now that I've gotten over the novelty of mouselook and realized that it doesn't add that much, at least to the original WADs, so OpenGL doesn't have as big an advantage) for everything non-Doom. Hexen, Heretic, Strife, Chex Quest... I've found they all run the best in ZDoom. And it's nice to have a single port that handles all the idtech 1 games. I use it for Doom occasionally as well, both for ZDoom WADs and normal play.

I like PrBoom as a good general-purpose port for Doom. Looks slightly better than Chocolate does, but no significant game play changes. My only gripe is that I can't get the Music Volume slider to work, so I need to use the Midi slider in Windows to adjust music volume.

For my first playthrough in a while, I'm using Chocolate. Gives that great classic feel. I wouldn't use it on a regular basis, but for this one playthrough I think I'll stick to Chocolate.

Most improvement... I don't know. I haven't really checked out the ports that I've been told aren't great.

My most used is probably ZDoom, followed by PrBoom. I haven't really delved into online multiplayer, but I'll probably try Skulltag or ZDaemon for that.