Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eponasoft

Doom Legacy on FreeBSD

This is the only Doom port that works with my current setup (xdoom requires low color so I haven't tested it yet). Everything works for the most part...except music. No music plays whatsoever. I'm not using the CD audio, I'm seeing if the normal music will work. Anyone know how to get the music working? And yes...the volume is turned up. :P

Eponasoft said:

Anyone know how to get the music working?

I'm not sure about Legacy because it's so old, but most recent *NIX ports use SDL_mixer along with timidity.cfg and a patch set that the latter points to (note, you don't actually need Timidity installed).

Well, I reconfigured xorg.conf to use 8 bit mode then tried xdoom...and it had no sound at all, plus would only play in a tiny window that would not resize or go fullscreen. What other good ports are there?

As an aside...I had problems getting versions of Quake and Quake 2 running as well...some would run at the proper framerate but the audio was choppy as hell, and when set in OpenGL mode, they would screw up altogether. When I put Doom Legacy in OpenGL mode, it ran smoothly (though it looked like overfiltered crap).

EDIT: I found PrBoom in the ports collection, and it plays the music! Woohoo! :)

PrBoom wouldn't allow me to configure the mouse properly but Odamex did so I'll stick with that. Thanks for the tip. :)

EDIT: Well ok...odamex ALMOST works the way I need it to...I set it to always freelook but it doesn't work, and using a key binding to enable it doesn't work either. Oh well...at least it was more configurable than PrBoom was.

EDIT2: It appears that odamex doesn't even support freelook...and not only that, but jumping doesn't work either, so my own custom level is unfinishable to 100%. :(

Catoptromancy said:

You need timidity

You only need timidity.cfg. SDL_mixer has an ancient version of timidity built in. Then again, installing timidity from a repository saves you from having to write your own config.

OK so, I've now tried several ports of the game, and none of them work completely right.

xdoom: only runs in a window, no sound at all.
doomlegacy: configures completely properly, but no music and tends to segfault a lot.
prboom: no Jump, and no way to disable vertmove...or at least it seems that way from the interface.
odamex: configures properly but certain features don't work (namely freelook and jump).

Unfortunately, there is no port of chocolate-doom in the ports collection, so I built it from source. It built fine and runs great, though it looks a bit crappy compared to other ports (naturally, since it tries to emulate the original). Since it tries hard to emulate the original game, it is actually quite useless for my purposes. :(

EDIT: I found Vavoom on a wiki page, and it's not a lot better than Doom Legacy in terms of features. As with Doom Legacy, there's no music, though it does look a bit better.

exp(x) said:
You only need timidity.cfg. SDL_mixer has an ancient version of timidity built in. Then again, installing timidity from a repository saves you from having to write your own config.

It seems the version included in SDL_mixer is old enough that it doesn't recognize variables in timidity.cfg. Or at least on my system, where it didn't work with "source $basedir/eawpats.cfg" but does with "source /etc/timidity/eawpats.cfg". (This is on Slackware Linux; it might not apply to FreeBSD's package.)

CODOR said:

It seems the version included in SDL_mixer is old enough that it doesn't recognize variables in timidity.cfg. Or at least on my system, where it didn't work with "source $basedir/eawpats.cfg" but does with "source /etc/timidity/eawpats.cfg". (This is on Slackware Linux; it might not apply to FreeBSD's package.)

Yeah, it doesn't support .sf2 soundfonts, either.

Catoptromancy said:

Odamex does support jumping and freelook.

http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/games/odamex.html

Yes, I know it claims to, and the interface has options for it. But what they say and what it does in front of me are two different stories. I have it configured for jumping and freelook, yet it does neither. Well, Vavoom does what I need it to do so as long as its license is good and its source doesn't suck, I think I've found what I need. Thanks for all the help folks. :)

EDIT: Vavoom doesn't seem to want to play any music...I've downloaded the music packs from their website and put them in the right place but they don't play...anyone know how to get them to work?

Neither of those options initially existed in odamex.cfg. When I added them and then ran the game, it still didn't work. Furthermore, opening the config file after running the game revealed that sv_freelook had been moved to the top, and allowjump had been removed altogether.

I looked through odamex.cfg a bit more closely. There is only a keybinding for jump. For freelook, there was initially cl_freelook which was already set to 1 (but naturally does nothing).

EDIT: I'm going to attempt to build the latest from source. So far, there have been dozens of warnings, but so far no errors. Perhaps the package version available in the ports collection is out of date (that wouldn't surprise me). There was no configure script though so I don't know how well this will work out.

Latest Odamex svn has always compiled for me. Its slightly tricky in netbsd/openbsd as you need to use gmake, instead of normal make. There is actually a warning that tells you to use gmake, but it is never printed since compile stops before it gets to that line.

Freebsd should compile fine, I think normal make will work.

Allowjump and sv_freelook are console commands.

OK, I did get it to build, and overwrote the original port version. gmake was indeed required, as I expected. Sources written with Linux in mind don't always build under normal BSD make. Everything works now though...it seems that it was a problem with the older version of odamex. It looks like the FreeBSD port has not been maintained. Thanks for all your help. :)