Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

To Randy Heit

I couldn't find a contact for Randy Heit on zdoom.org so I thought i'd post this here.

1. Are the demons faster in zdoom v. 2.3.1 than in vanilla doom when playing with -fast?

2. I think the chaingun slows the demons down too much (especially on -fast). It should have a slight effect, but not nearly as much as it does now. Does this bug anyone else?

Randy's away in vacation, last time I checked. And I don't remember seeing him often on Doomworld anyway. Finally, there's no reason that those things would have changed.

I can't be bothered to compare chaingunning demons on -fast in vanilla with latest zdoom, but I find the arresting power of the chaingun to be way overdone and really detracts from the -fast doom experience.

EDIT:

Okay, I bothered. In vanilla doom the lost souls seem to be unchanged. In zdoom they are much more aggressive. The demons do seem slightly affected by chaingun bullets, but not to the goofy level of the current zdoom. It's hard to really compare them, tho, since doom's graphics are so .. err... retro.

I was gonna say.. I don't recall having such a hard time playing doom on -fast.

Perhaps -fast gets a bit deadlier in ZDoom because the blockmap optimization should start to count more against the player when there are more monster attacks.

Regarding difficulty, I found long ago that in ZDoom the movement is jerkier. Hard to tell exactly offhand, but what I remember the most is that tapping a turning key will rotate your view more than tapping in Doom. It's as if in ZDoom acceleration is too fast..

No autorun. I even got to play a bit of ZDoom lately with the keyboard and it took a bit of work to aim that guy from far away with the pistol :(.