Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
entryway

zdoom does not want to play long sfx

number of samples is stored in 16-bit field, hence max 65535 samples

your DSBGDTH lump is over 85530 samples, it is too long for DOOM format.

entryway said:

Test wad
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/zdoom_sfx.zip

Try it with prboom-plus and zdoom/gzdoom

Why death sound (Scream frame) is only few tics with gzdoom? It should be 8 sec, because duration of Scream codepointer is 270 tics. How to fix?

Eternity has the same issue.

andrewj said:

That explains it.

andrewj said:

Thanks.

That won't really help as long as some ports don't even implement WAV loading.

PrBoom checks nothing with the sound. It assumes that it's a Doom SFX and skips the header, assuming it's correct. That's the reason why these effects work with PrBoom but nothing else. All the other ports which actually do some checking are correct.

BTW, the bug was also in the Linux source which in this case I don't consider representative. The original code which is still present in the Heretic and Hexen sources does not skip the sound header so I assume that the sample count is not ignored there.

Can somebody send me NULL (silent) sound in doom format (8 bit, mono, 11025)? With all my attempts something is wrong always. I hear shhh-shhh

EE adapted its present sound effect loading code from Choco Doom, because it was tuned to vanilla compatibility and correctness rather than absolute flexibility. There are quite a few WADs floating around with pathological examples of sound effects which can crash the game or sound completely wrong compared to vanilla if interpreted in a naive fashion.

If PrBoom needs longer sounds it should support a file format that allows it (like WAV.) Just treating everything as a Doom sound without even checking is surely not a good idea, considering what other ports support. Imagine the garbage audio this would produced if an MP3 or OGG was loaded into PrBoom accidentally and treated as 8 bit PCM data...