Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kyka

Doom done in flash.

So anyways I was meandering around the web, and I stumbled across a pretty neat version of the original Doom, all done in flash. I don't actually know how difficult such a thing is to accomplish, but it seemed pretty well done to me.

However, before I go posting any links for all the good doomers to check out, I should ask about the legality/warez issues first. I would guess a flash version of doom would probably fall into dodgy territory?

So mods/other knowledgeable people, feel free to post here advising for/against the posting of such a link, and I will post/not post the link accordingly.

Thanks guys. :)

Should be safe to post a link if it's only episode 1 (which is freely distributable), any more than that is moving into warez territory if it doesn't rely on the player owning a copy of the IWAD.

I think the one you are talking about is in a 3-pack with Heretic and Hexen as well? All 3 games in this flash game are all shareware only, although it would be cool if you could play the full version if you gave it proof of owning an IWAD or such.

[rant]insert random rant about how this has been already accomplished two years ago, and how it's not really "Flash" but rather Adobe Alchemy, which actually uses C code, and thus is not a complete source port here[/rant]

And to spoil the suspense, here is the "Doom Flash" in question.

Keep in mind it's essentially a wrapper around a C library, don't imagine that the Doom source code has been painstakingly rewritten line-by-line in Actionscript or whatever (that's what I'm currently doing in my Java Doom project "mochadoom", and what the Jake2 team did with Quake 2).

Yeah, I freely admit, it is not a massive breakthrougth in gaming technology, I mean I play QuakeLive from time to time, so running a game in a browser is not a new idea anymore.

But I still thought it was interesting enough to post a thread about it. Probably everyone knows about it already but, well, there you go.

:)

For those who know a lot more about web appplications than myself (Which means everyone on planet earth under the age of 90) is this a difficult thing to do? I only know the very basics about stuff like this. If I understand Maes, it is more or less just a browser front end, along the lines of a ZDoom or a Boom.

I did notice that there is no 'infinitely tall actors' in this web version. The little red Heretic demons will fly straight over your head, so it can't just be Original Shareware Doom' in a web window. Or can it. Man I know so little about this stuff.

Thanks guys :)

[edit] and thinking about it, mochadoom is a great name for what you are doing, Very appropriate.

Someone made a mod fir this where you have to feed corn to pigs. That was fun

Kyka said:

The little red Heretic demons will fly straight over your head,

Doom is the only game with infinitely tall actors. All other landmark idTech1 titles have z-clipping, more or less integrated.

printz said:

Doom is the only game with infinitely tall actors. All other landmark idTech1 titles have z-clipping, more or less integrated.

I thought that wasn't introduced until Hexen?

Ralphis said:

I thought that wasn't introduced until Hexen?

I don't remember ever getting trapped in a corner because of gargoyles that happened to be flying overhead...of course I can't verify this at the moment. =P

Heretic indeed removed the infinitely-tall actors limit (in fact, there's a secret in one map -- E5M3, I think -- that required the player to run across a bunch of barrels to get somewhere).

Jumping, however, was a first in Hexen. Bit off topic, but that might've been the one you were thinking of. Or maybe not, but still. :P