Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

decent computer to run todays' source ports?

I have a corei7 system and an aging dual core with a cheapo ati radeon (barely better than integrated graphics) that I end up using most of the time for zdoom and risen3d, which runs both really well, despite the fact that it's not set up to be a gaming rig. It's only when 3d models and high-res textures come into the story that I start to see slowdowns. Now I know that something like nuts.wad with 3d models would not run even on the fastest computer in the world, but what is a ballpark figure for what kind of system you really need when using textures and models? The risen3d page isn't all that helpful, just says you should have over 256mb video ram for textures and models.

It seems to me that all you need to upgrade is your video card. BUT I always love building new rigs. If that is what you are looking to do just stick with i7 and the rest should be pretty simple.

The CPU is the dominant factor in most ports, as the rendering is only half the work, actually, so you should be fine. Now, if you crank the effects to eleven and play nuts.wad with light source fireballs or some GZDoom specific mod with tons of effects....then a fast video card would help, too. Otherwise, you'll mostly do just fine.

If you want to use an OpenGL renderer, try to get an Nvidia rather than an ATI (or worse, Intel) since the guys who write ATI drivers tends to neglect the OpenGL side of things.

...and consequently, most developers working on hardware rendered source ports choose NVidia for their dev systems.

Gez said:

If you want to use an OpenGL renderer, try to get an Nvidia rather than an ATI (or worse, Intel) since the guys who write ATI drivers tends to neglect the OpenGL side of things.

Or you can use the open source Gallium3D ATI drivers on Linux and Windows.

DaniJ said:

...and consequently, most developers working on hardware rendered source ports choose NVidia for their dev systems.

When I start doing any OpenGL work, all my systems run either ATI or integrated Intel chips.

GhostlyDeath said:

When I start doing any OpenGL work, all my systems run either ATI or integrated Intel chips.

INFIDEL!!!

Gez said:

since the guys who write ATI drivers tends to neglect the OpenGL side of things.

What a dick move.

_bruce_ said:

1 Ghz cpu should be enough.

You'd be surprised how much 1ghz would limit your Dooming on modern software-based engines these days, mostly if we're talking massive, high-detail, FX-ridden user maps.

There's a lot more going on than just graphics, and the CPU has to cope with it all.

Not long ago I started using "use_libsamplerate 5" with Chocolate Doom, which adds like 15 extra seconds to the startup process for doom2.wad alone, and that's on a P4 3.8ghz. You do the math.