I want to use doom95 on windows 7

I can get doom95 to open just fine after I added dplay.dll, and I have no problem loading iwads and custom wads. I can even play the game... but it's pointless because this is how the game shows up on my screen, black and white and way too small:




Is there any easy way I can fix this?

by the way zdoom works great for me, but I can't get custom wads to load on it, it only accepts iwads... I've read other threads about this and they say something about dragging the custom wad into the zdoom.exe file which does not work, and they also mentioned using a command line, I tried that and can't seem to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, why do you want to run Doom95 instead of some other port? You could use PrBoom+. Set the default compatibility level to 3, and it will behave in-game exactly like Doom95, even being able to play back demos like Doom95 did.

As for your points about ZDoom: first, do not confuse the IWAD selection box for a full-fledged frontend. Please refer to this for ways to load PWADs and other mods. Dragging and dropping does work. Can you specify exactly what you are doing (including the names of mods you are trying to load) when it doesn't?

Share this post


Link to post

my main goal is to load custom wads, not necessarily to use doom95, i just know that loading wads with doom 95 is very simple and can't figure it out with zdoom.

haven't tried prboom.. i might give that a try

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

Honestly, why do you want to run Doom95 instead of some other port? You could use PrBoom+. Set the default compatibility level to 3, and it will behave in-game exactly like Doom95, even being able to play back demos like Doom95 did.

As for your points about ZDoom: first, do not confuse the IWAD selection box for a full-fledged frontend. Please refer to this for ways to load PWADs and other mods. Dragging and dropping does work. Can you specify exactly what you are doing (including the names of mods you are trying to load) when it doesn't?


if I drag and drop acheron2.wad into zdoom.exe, and the iwad selection box opens with four choices, ultimate doom, doom 2, plutonia, and tnt, which one do i choose and more importantly, what's the next step? If draggin and dropping is as simple as it sounds, then it's not working. If I have only one iwad in the same folder as zdoom.exe, and one custom wad, and I drag the custom wad into zdoom, it just loads the iwad.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom95 can't magically tell what IWAD you need to run a custom map with, and neither can any other version of Doom. Most wads come with a textfile that tells you which IWAD they need to be loaded with, but when in doubt, Doom 2 is usually a safe guess. If things seem screwy after that (missing textures, etc), check the textfile :P

Share this post


Link to post
doom3 said:

if I drag and drop acheron2.wad into zdoom.exe, and the iwad selection box opens with four choices, ultimate doom, doom 2, plutonia, and tnt, which one do i choose and more importantly, what's the next step? If draggin and dropping is as simple as it sounds, then it's not working. If I have only one iwad in the same folder as zdoom.exe, and one custom wad, and I drag the custom wad into zdoom, it just loads the iwad.


Drag and drop acheron2.wad on zdoom.exe.

On the IWAD selection box, chose "Doom II: Hell on Earth".

The next step is where it might be puzzling. Acheron2 does not replace MAP01, so if you just start a new game, you will end up on the familiar Entryway, and it might seem like the mod wasn't loaded. In fact, it is MAP03 which is replaced! So you have to use the idclev03 cheat (or, in ZDoom's console, type "map map03").


Many old mods (and even some recent ones) are set in slots other than MAP01 or ExM1. The reason was sometimes as simple as because that was where the mapper's favorite MIDI was being played, and sometimes a bit more complex (certain maps have certain special effects, such as MAP07 having the scripted mancubus/arachnotron effect, or MAP15 having a secret exit). If you do not know which map is being replaced, it can be confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

If you do not know which map is being replaced, it can be confusing.

Well, you can always open the wad in SLADE and see the maps available there.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

Drag and drop acheron2.wad on zdoom.exe.

On the IWAD selection box, chose "Doom II: Hell on Earth".

The next step is where it might be puzzling. Acheron2 does not replace MAP01, so if you just start a new game, you will end up on the familiar Entryway, and it might seem like the mod wasn't loaded. In fact, it is MAP03 which is replaced! So you have to use the idclev03 cheat (or, in ZDoom's console, type "map map03").


Many old mods (and even some recent ones) are set in slots other than MAP01 or ExM1. The reason was sometimes as simple as because that was where the mapper's favorite MIDI was being played, and sometimes a bit more complex (certain maps have certain special effects, such as MAP07 having the scripted mancubus/arachnotron effect, or MAP15 having a secret exit). If you do not know which map is being replaced, it can be confusing.


That's what I was doing wrong. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now