doomsday: zdoom-in-hexen format incompatible

in snowberry, I can't see/choose my pwads for doom or ultimate doom. I assume it is because they're in zdoom (doom in hexen format), having transluscent sidedefs, acs, etc. If I check out the Maps tab, under the Hexen config, I DO see my pwads there, but when I try to run Hexen using my pwads, it crashes, barely almost hanging the system.
Is it just the normal behaviour for this case scenario? (mixing 'zdoom-in-hexen' format pwads with the hexen.wad iwad, or whatever doomsday is doing with all those base files...)
BTW, what I want to do is:
Use my pWads (with all sorts of goodies abled by the zdoom-in-hexen format), plus, have md2 models on screen, plus whatever eye-candy I can also get from the port I use.
what port SHOULD I use to achieve all this at the same time?

Share this post


Link to post

ZDoom wads won't work in Doomsday, end of.

The only port that comes anywhere near what you're asking for is GZDoom.

Share this post


Link to post
pablogener said:

in snowberry, I can't see/choose my pwads for doom or ultimate doom. I assume it is because they're in zdoom (doom in hexen format), having transluscent sidedefs, acs, etc. If I check out the Maps tab, under the Hexen config, I DO see my pwads there, but when I try to run Hexen using my pwads, it crashes, barely almost hanging the system.


Doom in Hexen format will not work in Hexen. It's still Doom and it still needs a Doom IWAD.

Do not expect Doomsday to ever be compatible with the Doom-in-Hexen format. The design philosophy behind Doomsday and ZDoom are radically opposite. ZDoom strives to unify all supported games into a single massive superset of features; whereas Doomsday only shares common features between games and isolate everything else into game-specific plugins. So using Hexen features (such as ACS) in a Doom map is possible in ZDoom; but impossible in Doomsday. Do not expect this to ever change.

Share this post


Link to post

thanks Gez, much enlightening. only thing Im missing here is, can I make md2 models show up on zdoom, having that MODELDEF lump done right?

Share this post


Link to post

Not with ZDoom; OpenGL is required for models, and ZDoom doesn't use OpenGL. GZDoom has an OpenGL renderer, though, and it's basically always up to date with ZDoom, so use that.

Look at MODELDEF. http://zdoom.org/wiki/MODELDEF

edit: op I should read posts better, you already know of MODELDEF

Share this post


Link to post

I do know about MODELDEF already, I just don't want to do the WHOLE file by myself, setting one entry for every md2 item that comes in the pack... there are just too many damn md2's!!! I guess I'll try to find somebody else's MODELDEF lump that would work with my md2 pack.

Share this post


Link to post
pablogener said:

I do know about MODELDEF already, I just don't want to do the WHOLE file by myself, setting one entry for every md2 item that comes in the pack... there are just too many damn md2's!!! I guess I'll try to find somebody else's MODELDEF lump that would work with my md2 pack.

Telling us what model pack you are using would help. Although chances are that there are no MODELDEFs for it. In that case you'll probably need to suck it up and make them yourself, because I'm not sure if anyone is going to do it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

Do not expect Doomsday to ever be compatible with the Doom-in-Hexen format.

Doomsday itself won't be no. However, we may well decide to one day support this format with a map converter plugin. (UDMF will be handled in this way)

Yes, the Doomsday and ZDoom design philosophies are indeed radically different, however this in itself does not preclude supporting ZDoom-specific map (or other) resource formats.

Share this post


Link to post

But what would be the point? Without support for Hexen features such as ACS, parameterized specials with separate SPAC types, or things that you can pass over and under, there is no point to using the Hexen format.

Share this post


Link to post

If that stuff wasn't available then obviously there would be no point.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now