Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holering

Odamex 0.6.3: monster heads clipped off. Scaler issue?

Noticed enemy heads seem clipped off (most notably imps) at a distance and appear melon-like. Is this a scaling issue in the renderer or a linux bug (using linux)? Also, double horizontal and double vertical with 640x400 resolution and stretch doesn't appear like vanilla doom or chocolate-doom; looks un-evenly distorted.

Can't get mouse setup like chocolate-vanilla doom either. Feels like Quake 3 (seems perfect for multiplayer). When I walk forward with keyboard I can force doomguy to walk backgrounds almost instantly with only the slightest vertical mouse movement down. Can't change this behavior and it kinda sucks. Any help to get this more like chocolate-vanilla Doom would be great!

Regards

Set your mouse to "Doom" instead of "ZDoom" and set the values to match what are in default.cfg for chocolate doom.
Also maybe you want to set "m_forward" to "0" ?

As for the monster issue, can you post screenshots?

Holering said:

Noticed enemy heads seem clipped off (most notably imps) at a distance and appear melon-like. Is this a scaling issue in the renderer or a linux bug (using linux)?

I haven't seen this issue before. Could you provide a screen-shot and hopefully a link to a pastebin of your odamex.cfg file so I can determine which combination of settings you're using?

Holering said:

Also, double horizontal and double vertical with 640x400 resolution and stretch doesn't appear like vanilla doom or chocolate-doom; looks un-evenly distorted.

The Detail option in the Video Modes menu is misleading now that I look at it again. "Double Horiz & Double Vert" does not actually increase the level of detail - it instead halves it. Not withstanding that, based on what you wrote, it looks like you're using the option to try to emulate the look of 320x200. I think Odamex would be better served by removing the Detail option and implementing a scaling mode to mimic 320x200 in a proper manner.

Holering said:

Can't get mouse setup like chocolate-vanilla doom either. Feels like Quake 3 (seems perfect for multiplayer). When I walk forward with keyboard I can force doomguy to walk backgrounds almost instantly with only the slightest vertical mouse movement down. Can't change this behavior and it kinda sucks. Any help to get this more like chocolate-vanilla Doom would be great!

It should definitely be possible to have the same mouse feel as Chocolate Doom in Odamex. Although Odamex's mouse is very similar to Chocolate Doom's with Odamex's default configuration, it appears Chocolate Doom enables its mouse acceleration code by default. To do this in Odamex, type set mouse_acceleration 2.0 and set mouse_threshold 10.0 into the console.