Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PrBoom plus automap colors

I didn't succeed to find it, so can please anybody direct me to some specs of PrBoom plus which mentions its default automap color indexes? I'm especially interested which color indexes are used for which lines (differing in floor height, differing in ceiling height, locked doors etc.). I know I could "induct" them from Automap options menu, but it'd be nice to have them written on a well arranged page together with other useful info.

After I looked at BTSX palette, I noticed abnormalities in it and I believe their purpose is specifically to make automap in PrBoom-plus readable. It is cool. But my analyzing-inducting skills aren't enough to get all the right colors by studying that palette.

Anyway I'm asking this because I'm experimenting with creating my own palette and I want to make it readable in all ports. If you can, off-topicly, give me any advice on that, I'd be glad too :)

Share this post


Link to post

are these the droids you're looking for?

(grabbed from prboom-plus.cfg, with hex->decimal conversions added for your convenience)

# Automap settings
mapcolor_back             0xf7		(247)
mapcolor_grid             0x68		(104)
mapcolor_wall             0x17		(23)
mapcolor_fchg             0x37		(55)
mapcolor_cchg             0**7		(215)
mapcolor_clsd             0**0		(208)
mapcolor_rkey             0xaf		(175)
mapcolor_bkey             0xcc		(204)
mapcolor_ykey             0xe7		(231)
mapcolor_rdor             0xaf		(175)
mapcolor_bdor             0xcc		(204)
mapcolor_ydor             0xe7		(231)
mapcolor_tele             0x77		(119)
mapcolor_secr             0xfc		(252)
mapcolor_exit             0x0		(0)
mapcolor_unsn             0x68		(104)
mapcolor_flat             0x58		(88)
mapcolor_sprt             0x70		(112)
mapcolor_item             0xe7		(231)
mapcolor_hair             0**0		(208)
mapcolor_sngl             0**0		(208)
mapcolor_me               0x70		(112)
mapcolor_enemy            0xb1		(177)
mapcolor_frnd             0x70		(112)
so each player can change them to whatever playpal value they want. but those are the default colors


edit: did a word filter seriously change x_d (without underscore) into **? o.O, I wonder wtf was the reasoning for that one.

Share this post


Link to post

After edit:

That's what I needed, thanks ** edit lol it really does
I hope I'll be able to get which of the shorts (fchg,unsn) means what.

Share this post


Link to post
Ribbiks said:

I wonder wtf was the reasoning for that one.

Probably smilies.

Share this post


Link to post

you can use Russian "х" to avoid this
хD хD хD

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

I hope I'll be able to get which of the shorts (fchg,unsn) means what.


fortunately the source code is commented pretty nicely:

int mapcolor_back;    // map background
int mapcolor_grid;    // grid lines color
int mapcolor_wall;    // normal 1s wall color
int mapcolor_fchg;    // line at floor height change color
int mapcolor_cchg;    // line at ceiling height change color
int mapcolor_clsd;    // line at sector with floor=ceiling color
int mapcolor_rkey;    // red key color
int mapcolor_bkey;    // blue key color
int mapcolor_ykey;    // yellow key color
int mapcolor_rdor;    // red door color  (diff from keys to allow option)
int mapcolor_bdor;    // blue door color (of enabling one but not other )
int mapcolor_ydor;    // yellow door color
int mapcolor_tele;    // teleporter line color
int mapcolor_secr;    // secret sector boundary color
int mapcolor_exit;    // jff 4/23/98 add exit line color
int mapcolor_unsn;    // computer map unseen line color
int mapcolor_flat;    // line with no floor/ceiling changes
int mapcolor_sprt;    // general sprite color
int mapcolor_item;    // item sprite color
int mapcolor_frnd;    // friendly sprite color
int mapcolor_enemy;   // enemy sprite color
int mapcolor_hair;    // crosshair color
int mapcolor_sngl;    // single player arrow color
int mapcolor_plyr[4] = { 112, 88, 64, 32 }; // colors for player arrows in multiplayer

Share this post


Link to post
Ribbiks said:

edit: did a word filter seriously change x_d (without underscore) into **? o.O, I wonder wtf was the reasoning for that one.

One that is no longer relevant, but nevertheless it soldiers on, carried along by inertia.

Share this post


Link to post

In BOOM, the linedefs look like puked-up vodka.
In ZDoom, the background looks like puked-up vodka.

What's so bad about the original automap color scheme that it has to be replaced with ones that look so terrible? :P

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

After I looked at BTSX palette, I noticed abnormalities in it and I believe their purpose is specifically to make automap in PrBoom-plus readable. It is cool. But my analyzing-inducting skills aren't enough to get all the right colors by studying that palette.

Any changes to PrBoom-Plus's default automap colors were purely incidental. Some of the testers use it to play BTSX stuff, but I haven't checked it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

In BOOM, the linedefs look like puked-up vodka.
In ZDoom, the background looks like puked-up vodka.

What's so bad about the original automap color scheme that it has to be replaced with ones that look so terrible? :P


ZDoom does have the original colors as an option. No idea why something more resembling the Raven games was chosen as default for the custom colors.

I use something completely different, btw, that avoids strong primary colors for standard stuff so that locked doors can be color coded properly.

Share this post


Link to post

The only issue I have with ZDoom's automap colors is that, while the full automap distinguishes between dips in the ceiling and rises in the floor, the overlay automap uses the same color for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

I use something completely different, btw, that avoids strong primary colors for standard stuff so that locked doors can be color coded properly.

Black background, grey for walls, brown for floor height changes, dark green for ceiling height changes. Think of a tree: brown at the bottom, green at the top. I don't think I've used the default automap colours since I stopped using doom2.exe. I agree completely about being able to colour-code locked doors.

P.S. Is there any way to get ZDoom to show closed doors (floor height == ceiling height) differently from open ones (just a ceiling height change between sectors) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Shadow Hog said:

The only issue I have with ZDoom's automap colors is that, while the full automap distinguishes between dips in the ceiling and rises in the floor, the overlay automap uses the same color for both.



Not anymore. I just separated them.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0