Prboom Plus on Android. OUT NOW - Doom Touch

Hi,

Just to let you know I will be releasing my port of the latest Prboom+ to Android very soon!

See a quick demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQa0mMiOAdg&feature=youtu.be

Has all the features of Prboom+.

You can select the OpenGL renderer OR the Software renderer.

I will be charging a small amount for the port in order to keep it fully maintained and supported like I do with Quake. See my Quake ports for example of quality:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beloko.quaketouch&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beloko.quake2touch


Cheers!
Beloko.

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm, looks quite interesting. I may switch from PrBoom 4 Android to this once it's released. Looks pretty good so far.

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty awesome. Are the controls good enough?

What input/video engine did you use for it? Still SDL or went native?

Share this post


Link to post

Cheers guys.
It uses a combination of SDL and native. SDL rendering for software mode, and SDL + some native for OpenGL stuff.

The input totaly is custom and bypasses SDL.

Yes the main feature I think I add is good controls, touch screen will never be as good ad KB+Mouse, but I think it pretty playable with my setup.

Also supports fully customisable gamepads (bluetooth or wired)

People seem to be able to play my Quake ports, and Doom is easier to control as no vertical look.

Share this post


Link to post
beloko said:

I will be charging a small amount for the port in order to keep it fully maintained and supported

I guess that's fine, just don't forget your licence obligations ;-) Other than that, good luck!

Share this post


Link to post

Yep of course, I always fully respect the GPL.
Thanks! Hopefully something out this week.

Share this post


Link to post

I can't find any link to the source.

Please remember that PrBoom-Plus is released under the GPL so you are required to make the source code available. Giving them on request as stated on the info page is not sufficient to comply with the GPL. You have to provide a link somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

Yep I have not finished my website yet. For the moment I believe am complying with this part of the GPL:


"
or...
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange;
"

Let me know if you want me to send you the code, I can do it tonight.

Have you given it a go yet? Would love to know if it's working OK!


Cheers,
Beloko.

Share this post


Link to post
beloko said:

Hi,

Yep I have not finished my website yet. For the moment I believe am complying with this part of the GPL:


"
or...
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange;
"

Let me know if you want me to send you the code, I can do it tonight.


Ok, I didn't know that part of the clause. Sorry.
As a source port developer, of course I'm interested. You can find my email address in my user profile.

Share this post


Link to post

Here's some feedback:

- music keeps playing even when I switch out of the game
- at least under OpenGL mode, gamma correction only affects the walls, not the horizontal planes. The environment seems too bright on OpenGL mode at least.
- does it have autosave? Being on the move, I may easily just press the home button to do something else, and forget about it. If so, can it save state and resume it in case the app is shut down by the system? It would be a downer to lose progress in case it doesn't autosave.
- is music restricted to old-style OPL emulation, or can I choose more up-to-date sound fonts? Some of the custom WAD midis sound better orchestral than chiptune-like.
- is the player speed capped within legal limits? If it's faster than a certain threshold (dictated by the -turbo parameter on PC) it's cheating and should show the message "Green is turbo!" on multiplayer.

I'm interested too in the code, because I'm quite in a programming spree right now. I'd like to port some of my GPL projects to Android.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks a lot printz, really appreciated!

I should be able to fix most of those, autosave is a good idea.

Not sure about the OPL music, it's just what ever Prboom+ was using - tbh I've not had much experience with midi libs.

It should be capped at the maximum speed I think, I'll check.

New (slightly) better video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUqEo6OUMo&feature=youtu.be

Share this post


Link to post

Public Github repo or source tarball upload somewhere would be greatly appreciated. more so the first

Share this post


Link to post
Fellowzdoomer said:

ZDoom 4 Android.

Some guy on IRC said that ZDoom still depends on Intel architecture.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

Some guy on IRC said that ZDoom still depends on Intel architecture.



Some guy has no clue. ZDoom can at least be compiled for PowerPC Macs and that's even a big endian system which is far more problematic than ARM.

Share this post


Link to post

Besides the official PPC binaries, the OpenAL branch has been known to run on other architectures such as MIPS. I'm not sure why people keep saying that ZDoom relies on x86.

Share this post


Link to post

The "hide touch controls" checkbox in the gamepad tab seems to be ignored.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I looked at (g)zdoom, but was put off be the complex license situation. Also the OpenGL -> GLES conversion looked like it would be more difficult.

boris said:

The "hide touch controls" checkbox in the gamepad tab seems to be ignored.


Thanks you're correct there seems to be an issue, I'll fix it this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post

Gave this a spin and it's very well done, perhaps even better than iPhone Doom. Nice work.

Share this post


Link to post

I bought this and tried it out yesterday. Very well done! I had some trouble with the controls at first, having traditionally played Doom with a keyboard, but I'm starting to get used to it. I haven't had a chance to transfer my other wads to my phone yet, so I've only played the Shareware WAD, but from what I have seen, it looks like a great port. Kudos to you, Beloko.

Share this post


Link to post

So I transferred all my Doom IWADs over and played through all of KDitD, and I've got to say, this port feels quite solid.

Still, I'm having the same music problem that Printz alluded to. The music only plays in OPL mode. I've tried changing it in the Options menu to use a different soundfont, but it always sounds like OPL, except SDL mode, which breaks the sound completely.

Other than that, I've had no problems worth complaining about. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Arjak said:

So I transferred all my Doom IWADs over and played through all of KDitD, and I've got to say, this port feels quite solid.

Still, I'm having the same music problem that Printz alluded to. The music only plays in OPL mode. I've tried changing it in the Options menu to use a different soundfont, but it always sounds like OPL, except SDL mode, which breaks the sound completely.

Other than that, I've had no problems worth complaining about. :)


Hi thanks a lot for the comments.

Yes at the moment the music is limited to OPL. I have got fluidsynth working - the problem is it's extremely CPU intensive, it seems to work on my Nexus 7, anything less powerful and the music get corrupted.

I will add it in if I can sort out this issue.

BTW, Duke Nukem next :)

Beloko.

Share this post


Link to post

Nice port beloko! I purchased doom touch a few days ago and I'm having some great fun replaying doom on my phone;-)

However the left stick is a bit tricky to get used to.

I was wondering if you could add an option to clamp the actor's speed to the original walking speed and put a new virtual button to enable/disable autorun?

Also I'm glad to see duke nukem is next!
Which duke port are you going to use?

I started porting eduke32 to android a few month back using SDL for android and it was running pretty smooth on my phone (SGS3) in software mode.
However I didn't check the difficulty to port the opengl part to gles.

I'm also interested in the source code, as I'm working on the video plugin of mupen64plus-ae these days so it's always good to have different example of opengl to gles port ;-)

Share this post


Link to post

If ur gonna make Duke, two suggestions.

1: eduke32 and
2: episode 4: the birth. If u look on the Duke nukem Google play game, they totally didn't put it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Gillou68310 said:

Nice port beloko! I purchased doom touch a few days ago and I'm having some great fun replaying doom on my phone;-)

However the left stick is a bit tricky to get used to.

I was wondering if you could add an option to clamp the actor's speed to the original walking speed and put a new virtual button to enable/disable autorun?

Also I'm glad to see duke nukem is next!
Which duke port are you going to use?

I started porting eduke32 to android a few month back using SDL for android and it was running pretty smooth on my phone (SGS3) in software mode.
However I didn't check the difficulty to port the opengl part to gles.

I'm also interested in the source code, as I'm working on the video plugin of mupen64plus-ae these days so it's always good to have different example of opengl to gles port ;-)



Thanks!

OK I will add an autorun button to the list. Have you also tried turning down the sensitivity of the left stick? It may help.


I'm doing eduke32 (with guidance from the eduke devs, they want it to be good!), got software and opengl mode working mostly, should be quite a nice port I think :)

Email me at support@beloko.com and I can send you the code.


Fellowzdoomer: Yes if eduke supports it, it should work.

Share this post


Link to post

Cool. Maybe charge it a dollar per episode or only give the shareware datas. People are smart enough to use Google.

And when u get the chance, ever consider an Android doom level editor? You could call it AnDoomEdit or something.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now