Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beloko

Prboom Plus on Android. OUT NOW - Doom Touch

Zandronum developers team were repeating "We can't port Zandronum to android because of FMOD and blablabla.." untill Beloko's D-Touch came out and did it with GZDoom which is supposed to be the base engine for Zandronum, I Really think it's too possible to port it ( Zandronum)

Average said:

I'm thinking of getting a JXD s7800b for my portable Dooming needs. Has anyone any experience of Doom Touch on such a device?

Yeah I have heard that tablet works with the ports. However I'm not sure how great the gamepad sticks are? I know it's more expensive, but if you want hardware controls the Nvidia Shield Portable is a great device, very nice controls and very powerful.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Zandronum developers team were repeating "We can't port Zandronum to android because of FMOD and blablabla.." untill Beloko's D-Touch came out and did it with GZDoom which is supposed to be the base engine for Zandronum, I Really think it's too possible to port it ( Zandronum)

I probably is possible to port, I've not had a good look at the code however. FMOD is not a problem on Android. The only other possible issue I can see is some assembly code (not sure if it's used).
The main stumbling block is usually simply the time and effort it takes to port, and making it playable. I may ask them if they would mind if I added it to D-Touch - after I get a new job and I can risk spending time on it :)

Yeah, I'm interested in how the controls feel but also how smoothly does it run, how does it handle mods and WADs (ie/ how far can one push it with CPU intensive maps). Just a general overview of how well it plays really and what one should expect of it.

I know nothing of Android or the CPU in the JXD so I just don't know how well GZDoom would run on it... :)

At the moment I use a Toshiba netbook with an AMD C60 CPU and it really doesn't run GZDoom well beyond the stock IWADs and a resolution of 640x400. I'd really like to be able to use SBrightmaps and play the PSXSM music WAD as well as some of the more demanding mapsets out there. :)

beloko said:

The main stumbling block is usually simply the time and effort it takes to port, and making it playable. I may ask them if they would mind if I added it to D-Touch - after I get a new job and I can risk spending time on it :)

Sounds like a great idea ,Wish you good luck =)

Average said:

Yeah, I'm interested in how the controls feel but also how smoothly does it run, how does it handle mods and WADs (ie/ how far can one push it with CPU intensive maps). Just a general overview of how well it plays really and what one should expect of it.

I know nothing of Android or the CPU in the JXD so I just don't know how well GZDoom would run on it... :)

At the moment I use a Toshiba netbook with an AMD C60 CPU and it really doesn't run GZDoom well beyond the stock IWADs and a resolution of 640x400. I'd really like to be able to use SBrightmaps and play the PSXSM music WAD as well as some of the more demanding mapsets out there. :)

It supports mods, demos etc. It also has GZDoom, prboom and chocolate doom engines. I haven't tried any super-demanding wads in Doom Touch, but it seems to be running smooth for me generally.

It's cheap as fuck, so buy it and try it.