DOOM Retro v2.5.7 (updated October 11, 2017)

Next bug.

If you operate a switch, the sort that changes and then after a short delay changes back, and you save the game during this period, then after reloading the game the switch will be stuck in the state that it was in when the game was saved.

This is caused by the fact that the active buttons in the buttonlist[] array haven't been saved.

I've just fixed it in mine - involved adding a 'tc_button' type and saving them off separately. Loading is easy, just load into temp vars and then call P_StartButton() to set up - that way you don't have to save/load the soundorg.

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
jeff-d said:

Next bug.

If you operate a switch, the sort that changes and then after a short delay changes back, and you save the game during this period, then after reloading the game the switch will be stuck in the state that it was in when the game was saved.

This is caused by the fact that the active buttons in the buttonlist[] array haven't been saved.

I've just fixed it in mine - involved adding a 'tc_button' type and saving them off separately. Loading is easy, just load into temp vars and then call P_StartButton() to set up - that way you don't have to save/load the soundorg.

Jeff


Thanks again, Jeff! Adding it to the list... BTW, do you have a repo up anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
bradharding said:

Thanks again, Jeff! Adding it to the list... BTW, do you have a repo up anywhere?


No, I'm far too old for that new fangled stuff!
Just got the zip file on the Google site.
(Which is up to date, even though the index file isn't)

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post

Replying here instead of the news thread since it's probably more appropriate.

Your question of what version of Doom Retro I was using when I got the auto-scaling problem with the resolution, was indeed 1.1, but I just manually set my resolution in the config file rather than let the auto scaler do it's magic.

Another suggestion; you should bundle a text document listing all of PrBoom's features with it's download.

A couple of questions;

Am I supposed to use a command line (like Run) to play doom retro with the other iwads? So far it only launches Doom 2 out of all 5 iwads (Ultimate, 2, Master levels, TNT, Plutonia.)

I'm trying to use patch files with PrBoom but I can't seem to get them working. Could you tell me how to use them? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Suggestion:
Fix this archaic shittiness.

I've no idea if it's already fixed (and if it is thend isregard this post entirely), but seeing as compatibility with old demos isn't exactly a priority then I see no reason for this bug to remain.

Share this post


Link to post
Platinum Shell said:

Your question of what version of Doom Retro I was using when I got the auto-scaling problem with the resolution, was indeed 1.1, but I just manually set my resolution in the config file rather than let the auto scaler do it's magic.

I've made a few further changes to the screen scaling/resolution detection code since v1.1, and testing 1280x1024 after your post and the issue seems to have been resolved. I'll test further, but it should be fine for v1.2. Thanks for your help in reporting this.

Another suggestion; you should bundle a text document listing all of PrBoom's features with it's download.

PrBoom? Don't you mean Doom Retro? :)
I'm working on some documentation to include with it. I'll get it done eventually...

Am I supposed to use a command line (like Run) to play doom retro with the other iwads? So far it only launches Doom 2 out of all 5 iwads (Ultimate, 2, Master levels, TNT, Plutonia.)

From earlier in this post:
* right-click on doomretro.exe and click "Create shortcut"
* right-click on the new shortcut and click "Properties"
* under the Shortcut tab, add the command-line option(s) you want to the end of the text in the "Target" field (in this case, " -iwad tnt.wad") and click "OK".
* (for custom wads, you would put " -iwad doom2.wad -file custom.wad").
You can create multiple shortcuts for the IWADs you have.

I'm trying to use patch files with PrBoom but I can't seem to get them working. Could you tell me how to use them? Thanks.

PrBoom again? If you mean PrBoom, I'd recommend asking on its thread. If you mean Doom Retro, what patch files are you referring to. Doom Retro is generally not vanilla mod compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
BaronOfStuff said:

Suggestion:
Fix this archaic shittiness.

I've no idea if it's already fixed (and if it is thend isregard this post entirely), but seeing as compatibility with old demos isn't exactly a priority then I see no reason for this bug to remain.


I'm noticing this quirk more and more lately as I'm playtesting. I'll definitely look into it... Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I meant Retro, I was just really tired when I posted that, my bad. Except for the very last question, just thought it was a general port thing that you could answer. I'll post it there- keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all! Version 1.2 of DOOM RETRO is available to download now! This version contains a large number of obligatory fixes and enhancements, as you can see in the ridiculously extensive release notes, the most important of which is a considerable improvement in stability. DOOM RETRO should no longer crash. (But if you happen to experience that it still does, please let me know!) You may download it here.

Share this post


Link to post

It won't work in Wine :(
Maybe it's the fact that Doom Retro now uses a newer version of its compiler.

Share this post


Link to post
axdoom1 said:

It won't work in Wine :(
Maybe it's the fact that Doom Retro now uses a newer version of its compiler.


Damn it! I've also got a couple of reports of people having problems with MSVCR120.DLL. So, barely 24 hours after v1.2, I've uploaded a quick point release, v1.2.1, that changes DOOM RETRO to have the same dependencies as prior versions. It should now work in Wine, and not require any new redistributables.

(I've also squeezed in a few tweaks: you can disable the new blood splats by changing bloodsplats to false in default.cfg, and DMENUPIC will be used instead of INTERPIC in DOOM II (BFG Edition).)

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post

This new update rocks; can I get a list of every Doom Retro features, please?

Share this post


Link to post
Platinum Shell said:

This new update rocks; can I get a list of every Doom Retro features, please?


Thanks. I'm very happy with it. As for a list of features, if you're after a detailed list, just have a look at the release notes on the site. The notes for the previous versions are still there. I'm sure it needs to be added to, but here's a more concise feature set:

  • WAD launcher
  • 640x400 resolution, accommodating for any screen size while maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio
  • widescreen mode
  • windowed and fullscreen modes, switchable using ALT+ENTER
  • translucency (alpha, additive, per-pixel)
  • more blood and blood splats
  • cacodemons have blue blood, hell knights and barons of hell have green blood
  • per-pixel fullbright wall textures
  • randomly mirrored corpses
  • 4 darker gamma correction levels
  • limits of Vanilla DOOM are either raised or removed completely
  • various rendering improvements (less "firelines", removal of "sparkles" along the bottom edge of doors, better drawn spans, changes in height drawn more accurately and don't glitch when standing on them, tweaks to status bar, better and more consistent fuzz effect)
  • a majority of Vanilla DOOM "bugs" have been fixed (see http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Engine_bug)
  • better keyboard support (WASD set by default, CAPSLOCK to always run, WINDOWS key disabled)
  • better gamepad support (configurable, vibration for Xbox 360 controllers, can be connected/disconnected mid game)
  • better mouse support (higher allowable mouse sensitivity, no vertical movement, mousewheel to change weapons)
  • several hundred level-specific fixes (missing or wrong textures, stuck monsters, etc.)
  • updated help screens
  • significant changes to automap (dynamically updated, rotate mode, scaled thing triangles, wider solid walls, lines don't glitch along edge of screen, red walls drawn over other walls, secrets drawn correctly as they are discovered)
  • several improvements to menu and message systems
  • better screenshots (saved as BMP instead of PCX, actual size of screen resolution, limit removed)
  • several improvements to monster animations

Share this post


Link to post

Is it possible to alter the controls through an .ini or something? It's pretty tough to get used to using a different layout.

Share this post


Link to post

Magnetic, if you go in your appdata folder that's located within your user directory(it's hidden, so you'll have to set it to visible in your explorer options. Alternatively just launch run and type %AppData%. Once in appdata, look for local and you should find retro doom's config.

A minor oddity I found, Brad; I was on Gotcha!, and a couple of the Cyberdemon's rockets made a constant punch sound. Didn't end until the rocket hit a wall; it seemed to be at a rate equal to that of the amount of smokepuffs the rocket gave off. I haven't had it happen since.

Do you think you can add an option for fully opaque blood? Blood in this case meaning the blood splats and the little patches left on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Magnetick said:

Is it possible to alter the controls through an .ini or something? It's pretty tough to get used to using a different layout.

Platinum Shell said:

Magnetic, if you go in your appdata folder that's located within your user directory(it's hidden, so you'll have to set it to visible in your explorer options. Alternatively just launch run and type %AppData%. Once in appdata, look for local and you should find retro doom's config.

Sorry for not responding sooner. (Damn day job...) Thanks for covering this one Platinum Shell!

A minor oddity I found, Brad; I was on Gotcha!, and a couple of the Cyberdemon's rockets made a constant punch sound. Didn't end until the rocket hit a wall; it seemed to be at a rate equal to that of the amount of smokepuffs the rocket gave off. I haven't had it happen since.

I've encountered this myself before. I thought it was the result of an overflow before and haven't encountered it since, so I thought I had fixed it. I guess not. I heard it happen with a Revenant's projectile as well, so perhaps it does have something to do with the smoke puffs.

Do you think you can add an option for fully opaque blood? Blood in this case meaning the blood splats and the little patches left on the ground.

Fully opaque blood (and blood splats) look a bit garish in my opinion. But I'm considering allowing an option in default.cfg to disable translucency altogether, since that's been asked a couple of times before. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
bradharding said:

Fully opaque blood (and blood splats) look a bit garish in my opinion. But I'm considering allowing an option in default.cfg to disable translucency altogether, since that's been asked a couple of times before. Thanks.


That would be a great option to have, thanks. Playing wads with custom decorations that take the torch spot give them inappropriate translucency. I also got this odd jittering effect for this replacement for the small blue torch; it was the same frame for all 4, but it jittered up and down. Any idea why? It's quite a bit taller than the blue torch, it's a skeleton. If you go outside the school and look through the classroom windows, you'll find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Platinum Shell said:

I also got this odd jittering effect for this replacement for the small blue torch; it was the same frame for all 4, but it jittered up and down. Any idea why? It's quite a bit taller than the blue torch, it's a skeleton. If you go outside the school and look through the classroom windows, you'll find it.


I suspect that because DOOM RETRO alters the offsets for many of the sprites, and I haven't put in a check to see if its a custom sprite. But now I have! Thanks!

What I'll also need to do is disable translucency on a per-sprite basis if a custom one is used...

Share this post


Link to post

Something strange happened to me. Between "The Crusher" and "Dead Simple" my difficulty level has been downgraded from Ultra-Violence to something lower (even I'm Too Young to Die perhaps). I actually haven't noticed that for, like, 3 maps, but then it became obvious: there was much less monsters. And then finally, there was no Cyberdemon in "Refueling Base". And I knew.

There's text with story between "The Crusher" and "Dead Simple" and I thought that maybe it's connected somehow. Maybe it's kinda one time thing, but I thought I should report it.

Plus: in "The Waste Tunnels" acquiring yellow key card didn't trigger a bridge and alcoves with cacodemons. I played map two times to check it.

I'm glad that I can set mouse sensitivity to ridiculous level. Hell yeah.

Share this post


Link to post

Might just be an issue on my part, but when I try to play Fragport on Retro, the monsters seem to behave oddly. For example, the deaf chaingunners by the warden desk at the end of the hallway with the cells (basically the beginning area in the first map) act like they're blind too, and only react to being shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Krazov said:

Something strange happened to me. Between "The Crusher" and "Dead Simple" my difficulty level has been downgraded from Ultra-Violence to something lower (even I'm Too Young to Die perhaps). I actually haven't noticed that for, like, 3 maps, but then it became obvious: there was much less monsters. And then finally, there was no Cyberdemon in "Refueling Base". And I knew.

There's text with story between "The Crusher" and "Dead Simple" and I thought that maybe it's connected somehow. Maybe it's kinda one time thing, but I thought I should report it.

Can I ask, did you save and then reload at any point during this play session? I hope so, because I believe I have resolved this particular issue earlier this week.

Plus: in "The Waste Tunnels" acquiring yellow key card didn't trigger a bridge and alcoves with cacodemons. I played map two times to check it.

Hmm. I'll look into this. Thanks for the report!
--> All fixed! See here.

Share this post


Link to post
Platinum Shell said:

Might just be an issue on my part, but when I try to play Fragport on Retro, the monsters seem to behave oddly. For example, the deaf chaingunners by the warden desk at the end of the hallway with the cells (basically the beginning area in the first map) act like they're blind too, and only react to being shot.

Thanks, I'll check this out.
--> Definitely appears to be an issue. The problem doesn't occur in Chocolate DOOM, so I've borked something somewhere. I've raised an issue in GitHub. If anybody would like to help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
bradharding said:

Can I ask, did you save and then reload at any point during this play session? I hope so, because I believe I have resolved this particular issue earlier this week.

That's quite possible. I've been playing it, like, two days in a row. My guess is I saved it on "The Crusher". And earlier on "The Waste Tunnels".

BTW, I've been thinking. If You're recreating the old experience, then some kind equivalent of setup.exe might be nice. To configure keys in a friendly manner, for instance. If that's not too much of a in-joke.

But more seriously, I'd like to see launcher more like ZDoom Launcher. I could keep IWADs and other WADs in seperate folders. It's much less messy.

Share this post


Link to post

What else is really odd about that bug is that the affected monsters will sometimes notice the player randomly. I was inside of this chamber in MAP 03 of fragport where the wall opens up and reveals a bunch of hell knights and mancubi. An imp came into the room from some other part of the level, which I gunned down. Only a couple knights and and mancubi woke up, but the rest remained stationary.

Had another odd instance in the map, that looked like this:

----x


x

--I

I is me, the X's are imps. Dashes are just for spacing. Both were facing me, and didn't wake up. I got roughly halfway to the furthest imp before they both awoke at the same time. Maybe it's got something to due with the direction of their sight? It's still really fuzzy. The broken monsters seem to also have a problem hitting you, as I had one revenant in the first map (maybe the fourth cell down) wake up and try to move towards me, but it never fired rockets or punched me. Demons and spectres that managed to wake up had no problem biting me, but that was the third map, like the scenarios I mentioned earlier. I'll test it a bit more with some other mapsets.

Share this post


Link to post

There seems to be a very large amount of mouse acceleration in this port, makes the mouse very frustrating to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Mike.Reiner said:

There seems to be a very large amount of mouse acceleration in this port, makes the mouse very frustrating to use.


The mouse acceleration is the same as Chocolate DOOM by default (or at least, its supposed to be). The acceleration (and threshold) can be edited in default.cfg (in AppData\Local\DOOM RETRO\ for the current Windows user).

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now