Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

NightFright said:

Because that sounds a lot better, at least for me. Unless you add an option to use soundfonts. ^^

To use soundfonts, you simply build SDL2_mixer with FluidSynth support and then build DOOM Retro against that version of SDL2_mixer. You then set the value of the SDL_SOUNDFONTS environment variable to be the path to the soundfont you want to use.

I've only tried on Linux, and it's a straightforward process there.

JXC said:

Here is the glitch I found while playing an Ultimate Doom megawad on Doom Retro. This is E1M3 of Endless Torture.

Thanks for this. The offending texture is SW2METAL and I've just fixed it ready for the next release.

bradharding said:

Thanks for this. The offending texture is SW2METAL and I've just fixed it ready for the next release.

Please test the other textures from the official Doom wads and Freedoom wads.

I just tried to use my new Steam Controller with DOOM Retro (in Linux). Although the Steam Overlay works perfectly, the game won't take input from the Steam Controller at all. I don't mean the Steam Controller controls can't be remapped (as is the case for games that don't use the overlay, such as Chocolate and Crispy); I mean that the Steam Controller has no effect on DOOM Retro at all. Any idea why that might be?

dugan said:

I just tried to use my new Steam Controller with DOOM Retro (in Linux). Although the Steam Overlay works perfectly, the game won't take input from the Steam Controller at all. I don't mean the Steam Controller controls can't be remapped (as is the case for games that don't use the overlay, such as Chocolate and Crispy); I mean that the Steam Controller has no effect on DOOM Retro at all. Any idea why that might be?

DR supports DirectInput and XInput controllers. The DirectInput support is through SDL, and the XInput support has been written from scratch (but for Windows only). I haven't looked into the Steam Controller at all [yet]. How is it implemented? What about ZDoom, etc. - does it work in those?

Also, I've set the Steam Controller up to emulate a keyboard and mouse, so I'm not sure if either DirectInput or XInput are relevant.

prboom-plus 2.5.14 works perfectly with the Steam Controller too, once I set it to use OpenGL.

I'm pretty sure I can't but can I use the MAPINFO to make episodes in doom 2? Or is there any way to make a type of episode style to it? Great work on the port though, still loving it.

Weird. My Steam Controller is now working perfectly with Doom Retro.

EDIT: it looks like it doesn't work at all in Big Picture Mode. Outside of Big Picture Mode, everything works perfectly except the menus: the Steam Controller's direction button will move the selection once, then stop working.

So Avast thinks this thing's a virus, but considering that it's pretty typical of anti-viruses to be crazy mofos at random it's more than likely a false-positive. Still, should probably give them a word and tell them you're not one, else it could potentially continue to spook away less savvy users.

Jaxxoon R said:

So Avast thinks this thing's a virus, but considering that it's pretty typical of anti-viruses to be crazy mofos at random it's more than likely a false-positive. Still, should probably give them a word and tell them you're not one, else it could potentially continue to spook away less savvy users.

I recall Fraggle not so long ago had issues with Avast and Chocolate DOOM. He tried contacting them, and they weren't particularly helpful.

VGA said:

I just uploaded yesterday's build (release version from my VS 2015) and it's pretty clean except one false positive:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1b0bf1a5c240c0c74b0be05eeaa9051599b1adc448dfcfe197242cf09783f20e/analysis/1455494007/

Except some "made in China" crap.

I have raised an issue with Avast, but I don't expect much. I'll release v2.0.5 within the week. A false positive from some AV software I've never heard of I can live with.

Hi,

Impressive source port bradharding, its a modern comeback of the Doom that we knew and loved with additional nuts and bolts. Superb improvement on the game's aesthetics (especially the liquid warping and bobbing).

I have decided use DOOM Retro as the main engine for my project, and speaking of forking your source port, is it commercial-friendly?

Best,
a2ko

Hey can I make Doom Retro NOT use/recognize my controller? I want to setup multiple things without the cfg file deleting stuff I want to use the controller for.

Hoodie said:

I want to setup multiple things without the cfg file deleting stuff I want to use the controller for.

Personally I don't understand what you mean. But I guess if you fo to the cfg and delete all the gamepad keys from the binds that should work?

I tried that first thing and after I start Doom Retro again it just remakes them in the cfg file, meaning that if I delete something like keybind gamepad1 and save it it will just be there again after I start up Doom Retro again, and when I try to setup the keybindings to what I want for the gamepad, other keybindings lose their function which I want. Let's say I want to have X and R2 on my PS4 controller to be fire and I can't do that, plus some other things I want to do.

Danfun64 said:

I'm not the dev of this source port, but I know that this source port uses the GPLv3.

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/blob/master/LICENSE

I am aware that this is licensed under GPLv3 but my main concern is the fact that this is a port of the original Doom engine's source and may still retain rights to id or ZeniMax. I hope that the version of Chocolate Doom where this is based on is a port of the GPL version of the original Doom engine's source.

a2ko said:

I am aware that this is licensed under GPLv3 but my main concern is the fact that this is a port of the original Doom engine's source and may still retain rights to id or ZeniMax. I hope that the version of Chocolate Doom where this is based on is a port of the GPL version of the original Doom engine's source.

The source code is GPL, end of story. Chocolate Doom is also GPL. It also contains code from MBF and other GPL projects.

To reiterate: GPL GPL GPL GPL.

That's my understanding of it :D

VGA said:

The source code is GPL, end of story.

There was an earlier source code release under its own license. But it's irrelevant, because said license is incompatible with GPL.

Oddly, I don't know if there's even "proof" that the Doom source code is actually GPL. Both the ZIP on their FTP and the code on their Github is of the older non GPL version.

The best evidence is that the code for Doom Classic on iOS is derived from the GPL PrBoom, which would make no sense if the original code wasn't licensed under the GPL to be included in PrBoom in the first place.

Also, the BFG Edition Doom Classic port is GPL, but GPLv3, which didn't even exist in the 1990s. So is the untouched code in that port actually *triply* licensed?

Linguica said:

Oddly, I don't know if there's even "proof" that the Doom source code is actually GPL. Both the ZIP on their FTP and the code on their Github is of the older non GPL version.

The best evidence is that the code for Doom Classic on iOS is derived from the GPL PrBoom, which would make no sense if the original code wasn't licensed under the GPL to be included in PrBoom in the first place.

Also, the BFG Edition Doom Classic port is GPL, but GPLv3, which didn't even exist in the 1990s. So is the untouched code in that port actually *triply* licensed?

That's exactly what I'm concerned of. Anyway, I just noticed that Chocolate Doom's webpages are still down, do they have a documentation of the source code? Its easy to get lost without a reference to look at.

Edit:
Are there any plans to support scripting languages?

I understand, thanks. It looks like I have to implement a scripting feature myself.