Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

plums said:

Minor bug: In Hexen, the blue and green mana bars on the status bar are always full:

This is fixed in GIT now, thanks!

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/chocolate-doom.git;a=commitdiff;h=f987e117a7f5efae5f52be740a8faaf1c7d9562d

Another bug: pressing pause will crash Doom/Doom 2 with the message "Bad V_DrawPatch". Pausing in Strife works but doesn't display the PAUSE graphic. Pausing in Heretic/Hexen seems to work without problems.

This is also fixed in GIT now, thanks again!

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/chocolate-doom.git;a=commitdiff;h=a5650dffbad68f6d795b58e6e1344e1374821525

It is incredible how many small details there are that one could oversee. In this specific case, I do not even have the "Pause" key on my keyboard and changing it to something different in chocolate-setup does not seem to work in Heretic and Hexen:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/337

plums said:

OK, so things are a bit weird in fullscreen. I'm using the Windows version, with an old monitor that only goes up to 1024x768. I dropped the chocolate-*-setup.exe files from normal chocolate doom into the new directory with these exes. All of this applies to all games.

That should definitely work.

When "Fix aspect ratio" is on, and "Full screen" is also on, the display is too tall for my monitor, and the bottom or top gets cut off. [...] It doesn't matter what resolution I select as long as it's < 1280x960, this is how it always looks and the monitor always reports that it's running at 1024x768.

It seems to run in one of the "horizontally squashed" video modes, i.e. 1024x800. Your monitor seems to mistake this for 1024x768, so the 32 vertical pixels are missing.

If I turn "Fix aspect ratio" off, the monitor resolution gets set at whatever I choose, but the actual game is displayed at 640x400. It makes sense that I can't get a larger window since the next multiple of 640 is higher than my monitor resolution, but I would have expected it to use 640x480 instead.

Yes, that is indeed expected.

Regarding aspect ration correction: The game is always rendered on a 640x400 "canvas". If you enable aspect ration correction, this canvas is vertically stretched (or horizontally squashed) to 480 pixels in a post-processing step to emulate the look of this video mode on old monitors (that typically had square pixels in 640x480 VGA mode and stretched Doom's picture to fill the whole screen). Yes, pixels are not square anymore with aspect ration correction enabled. If you disable it, the game content will be rendered as is, and that means (multiples of) 640x400.

In windowed mode, everything looks fine and as works I would expect.

Phew, at least. :)

Lastly the setup program seems to try to default to either 1280x768 or 1280x800 a lot of the time, for whatever reason.

I should probably disable the preference of the x2 scaled mode in chocolate-setup.

I'd be fine with just being able to run at 640x480 fullscreen, but it doesn't seem possible right now.

It should be fine to run "chocolate-doom -1 -fullscreen", but that currently crashes with a segfault:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/338

OK, thanks. 1024x800 isn't terrible, I just miss some status messages. And yeah I made that post before you explained the 400 vs. 480 vertical stretching in your previous reply, makes sense now.

plums said:

I'd be fine with just being able to run at 640x480 fullscreen, but it doesn't seem possible right now.

Should be fixed in GIT now. The culprit was that the single stretching mode, i.e. 320x240 in chocolate-doom but actually 640x480 in my port, was marked as a "poor quality" mode and thus other screen modes were prefered.

Pretty sure that version is just rendering at 320x200? That's the size of a screenshot anyhow, and it looks identical to normal chocolate doom.

Hexen mana display and pausing in all games work properly.

plums said:

Pretty sure that version is just rendering at 320x200? That's the size of a screenshot anyhow, and it looks identical to normal chocolate doom.

Gosh, sorry, I was tired yesterday and forgot to actually apply the patches for the Windows build. I have re-uploaded the ZIP file, could you please try again?

Ah that would explain it. :)

Yes all issues fixed, runs at 640x480 no problem and looks great!

Is there an official name yet? So far I've just been calling it "chocolate-plus".

plums said:

Yes all issues fixed, runs at 640x480 no problem and looks great!

\o/ :D

Is there an official name yet? So far I've just been calling it "chocolate-plus". [/B]

Not yet, there is so much to choose from:

- Embiggened Doom (reportedly "the most accurate name possible")
- Cookie Doom (my favourite ice cream flavour)
- Mousse au Doom (slight reference to the original)
- Crispy Doom (it looks crisp and is also a slight reference)
- Oculist Doom (it "fixes" your vision)
- and so on...

I actually try to avoid both "chocolate" and "plus" altogether. ;)

chungy said:

Cromulent was a name I liked :P

Well, actually I'd prefer being able to remember the name of my own coding project. And as a non-native English speaking non-Simpsons fan, this word is simply too hard to remember for me. ;)

It is a bit too Simpsons-specific anyway, to be honest.

Embiggened is also a Simpson's word, in case you weren't aware.

I like Crispy Doom, it sounds nice phonetically and there's a nod to Chocolate Doom without being too much of a pun.

I've started calling this Crispy Doom on the forums here, until a permanent name is decided upon, because I'm tired of writing "fabian's limit-raising medium-resolution patch to Choclate Doom" :p

I really love it BTW!

plums said:

I really love it BTW!

Thank you very much for this encouragement.

In the meantime I have extended the port a bit more:

1) Full support for No Rest For The Living (aka pack_nerve)
No Rest For The Living is supported as a separate gamemission now (like TNT: Evolution or The Plutonia Experiment) all with its own level names, music, par times, intermission screens and finale.

If the current IWAD is the BFG Edition doom2.wad, it is possible to select NRFTL as a separate episode alongside Hell On Earth. It is possible to switch back and forth between both episodes by means of the New Game menu. Save Game and Load Game should also work between both episodes.

2) Return of the 800x600 video mode
A "1.5 squashed mode" has been added which results in an 800x600 resolution by stretching the original 640x480 resolution horizontally by 1.25 and vertically by 1.5. It's not as ugly as it sounds, actually, and may help people with arcane monitors. Right, plums? :)

3) Graphic Detail: Low now renders exactly like Chocolate Doom
The Graphic Detail: Low mode got modified to render the scene exactly as Chocolate Doom does in Graphic Detail: High mode.

Especially because of (1) I think my port is not just a series of patches anymore, but an outright fork

• that deserves its own name. And that will be Crispy Doom! (First ideas are still often the best...)

Please find updated binaries below. The executables are still called chocolate-*, because I still consider my fork to be in beta phase and there are currently some changes pending in Chocolate Doom's master branch that I'd like to incorporate before doing a formal release. So, this might even need to wait until a new version of Chocolate Doom is released on which I can rebase my patches.

Downloads
    Win32
    http://greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_774cf72.zip

Debian
    http://debian.greffrath.com/experimental/chocolate-doom_2.0.0-1%7ehires%2b20140226_i386.deb
    http://debian.greffrath.com/experimental/chocolate-doom_2.0.0-1%7ehires%2b20140226_amd64.deb

Patches
    http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/chocolate-doom.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches;hb=refs/heads/hires

• Technically, Crispy Doom treats NRFTL as gameepisode=2. This variable is generally unused in Chocolate Doom if gamemode=doom2 and default to 1. In order to distinguish savegames from each other, however, I have to save that variable in the actual savegame file. Due to this change the data is still compatible with Chocolate Doom, but is *not the same* anymore. Thus, I have decided to finally change the name.

fabian said:

Thank you very much for this encouragement.

Welcome!

It's not as ugly as it sounds, actually, and may help people with arcane monitors. Right, plums? :)

I prefer the term "vintage". :)

New features look great, will give them a try soon.

Now that this is more of a fork than a patch, my next feature request - which you can certainly dismiss, I don't want to sound like I'm being too pushy ;) : Remapping artifact keys for Hexen, which are by default bound to 5 through 0, backslash, and backspace, would be really nice. I think Hexen-plus let you do this but I haven't used it much... binding keys to artifacts in Heretic would be great but that would be a much more invasive change since by default there are none except backspace for the Tome of Power.

plums said:

Now that this is more of a fork than a patch, my next feature request - which you can certainly dismiss, I don't want to sound like I'm being too pushy ;) : Remapping artifact keys for Hexen, which are by default bound to 5 through 0, backslash, and backspace, would be really nice. I think Hexen-plus let you do this but I haven't used it much... binding keys to artifacts in Heretic would be great but that would be a much more invasive change since by default there are none except backspace for the Tome of Power.

Indeed, I intend to implement often-requested features for chocolate-doom as additional optional features in Crispy Doom. However, the non-Doom ports are really rather low on my priority list and I cannot make promises to add user-requested features to them soon. However, I am inclined to say "patches are always welcome". ;)

Edit: The readme.txt file of hexen-plus-1.1.5 reads
    "
    Default additional binds:
    Alt - Flechette
    Ctrl - Disc of Repulsion
    Q - Quartz Flask
    C - Porkalator
    "

Would this already be sufficient? But then, don't Ctrl and Alt interfere with the default keys for attack and strafe?

fabian said:

However, the non-Doom ports are really rather low on my priority list and I cannot make promises to add user-requested features to them soon.

Yeah, I understand. I'm thankful for the fact that you ported it to the other games at all.

Edit: The readme.txt file of hexen-plus-1.1.5 reads
    "
    Default additional binds:
    Alt - Flechette
    Ctrl - Disc of Repulsion
    Q - Quartz Flask
    C - Porkalator
    "

Would this already be sufficient? But then, don't Ctrl and Alt interfere with the default keys for attack and strafe?

Don't know if they interfere or not, I'll have to have another look at Hexen-plus. Anyhow this would be something but I'm more interested in being able to move those keybindings to other keys, which IIRC is possible in Hexen-plus through some convoluted editing of a config file.

Anyhow, maybe I'll take a crack at making a patch in the future. Is Crispy Doom going to have a patched version of the setup programs?

plums said:

Anyhow, maybe I'll take a crack at making a patch in the future. Is Crispy Doom going to have a patched version of the setup programs?

That is exactly what I want to avoid. I'd like Crispy Doom to remain as config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with Chocolate Doom as possible.

Maybe we can convince fraggle that it's a good idea to add the ability to remap keys for the artifacts to Chocolate Hexen - that would help a lot. I know that he is rightfully very conservative with this kind of changes, but other strictly non-Vanilla features have already been implemented as well. Let's see...

fabian said:

That is exactly what I want to avoid. I'd like Crispy Doom to remain as config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with Chocolate Doom as possible.

You could have crispy-setup.exe store regular settings as normal, and extra non-Chocolate settings in extra-crispy.ini.

Gez said:

You could have crispy-setup.exe store regular settings as normal, and extra non-Chocolate settings in extra-crispy.ini.

Hm, no, I don't think I'll do this. At least not in the short term.

I have already set my foot on the slippery slope by adding support for NRFTL and I don't want to further sacrifice compatibility to Chocolate Doom (and Vanilla therefore) for cosmetic changes and personal preferences. Although I have to admit it's very tempting with the source code under my fingers, but I really want Crispy Doom to remain "Chocolate Doom with raised resolution and static limits."

Congrats! It's looking great so far. I see some of my funny expressions made it into the wiki entry ;)

plums said:

Strictly speaking, Crispy is not a branch of Chocolate Doom, but a fork, because its changes are not intended to ever get merged back into the original. Likewise, I wouldn't call CNDoom a branch, either, but it's not up to me to decide.

I have added Crispy to the Forks page:
    http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Forks

Stagnation = Death!

... and thus I decided to release an early test version of Crispy Doom 1.1.
    It includes some minor (mostly graphical) enhancements that I have often seen requested for Chocolate Doom or that I longed for myself.
    However, the changes should not endanger demo, savegame or netplay compatibility with Chocolate Doom (that is, config file compatibility is bent by one change, but a simple workaround exists).

The enhancements:

- When "Autorun" is active, pressing the "Run" key will result in walking
    - Ammo released by enemies will slightly bob vertically (idea from Doom Retro / ZDoom, but with smaller amplitude)
    - When the view size is increased one step beyond fullscreen, a HUD is displayed (to retain config file compatibility with Chocolate Doom, quit the game with any smaller view size)
    - Level statistics are displayed in the Automap (idea from PrBoom+)
    - The background is shaded when a menu is active or the game is paused (idea from Doom Retro)
    - When a secret is revealed, a centered message will be shown and a sound will be played (idea from PrBoom+ / ZDoom)
    - The "Ouch Face" and the "Picked up a Medikit that you really need" messages are shown as intended

The bug fixes:

- In the BFG Edition, all Wolf SS resources have been removed off the IWAD, so replace them with Former Humans (that is, never use the BFG Edition IWADs for demo recording or playback!).

Merges from Chocolate Doom master:

- Allow for rebinding the artifact keys in Hexen

Download:
    http://greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_1.1-beta1.zip

Please test extensively and have a lot of fun!

Looks great, especially the Hexen keys which made it into Chocolate. I like the simple HUD too. However...

fabian said:

- When a secret is revealed, a centered message will be shown and a sound will be played (idea from PrBoom+ / ZDoom)

Is there a way to turn these off? I kind of like flying blind in maps, it feels more authentic. Especially the stats in the automap, it can really give parts of the level away sometimes.

A useful idea to me would be to save screenshots in a format besides PCX. Even BMP would be better. Is this something that belongs in Crispy Doom, or should it be requested in Chocolate Doom?

e: Also being able to reassign the screenshot key from F1 to PrintScreen or something else would be nice, though not particularly essential. Nevermind, it seems like it uses the same key as Help, but trying to assign to PrintScreen doesn't work in the setup program.

edit: also you are probably aware, but just in case, all these features appear to be Doom-only:

fabian said:

- When "Autorun" is active, pressing the "Run" key will result in walking
    - When the view size is increased one step beyond fullscreen, a HUD is displayed (to retain config file compatibility with Chocolate Doom, quit the game with any smaller view size)
    - The background is shaded when a menu is active or the game is paused (idea from Doom Retro)

I know Doom is the focus of the Crispy programs and so if you can't/don't want to implement them in other games, it's fine.

One more thing, would you prefer me to file this stuff on the bug tracker (instead of or in addition to here), now that you have one separate from Chocolate Doom?