Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

theelf said:

1 - Is possible to disable the "fadeout" effect when menu appears?

No, it is currently impossible to disable the background fading when the menu is active. I never liked how the menu font and the status bar font mixed up with each other, especially in the Crispy HUD where the status bar background is not rendered.

If you want to disable it, take care that in D_Display() in doom/d_main.c the "if (paused || menuactive)" condition never becomes true.

2 - Is possible to have SETUP and ENDSCREEN in fullscreen? like real doom in DOS

Currently not, but I remember discussion about this being planned for the SDL2 branch. Will require changes in libtextscreen, though.

3 - How to restore the orioginal doom "loading screen" that is pressent in chocoloate doom? Im talking about the original doom text doom screen with the loading dots

The start-up sequence in Crispy Doom is exactly the same as in Chocolate Doom and there are just as many dots drawn. What exactly are you talking about?

In case is not possible to do, i want to moddify the sourcecode.. any advice how to compile in windows+mingw? i dont find ta configure/makefile in source (github)

If you don't find a configure script in the sources, you need to run "autoreconf -fiv" first. For compilation under Windows, I recommend using MSYS2.

Please excuse me if I've asked before, but is there any way to totally exit Crispy DOOM via a XBOX 360 controller without hitting the Y key? Also, is it possible to assign the MAP feature to the controller? Lastly, is there a way to get the trigger buttons on the 360 controller working under Crispy?

On Pi Zero.

Thanks!

Breeder said:

Please excuse me if I've asked before, but is there any way to totally exit Crispy DOOM via a XBOX 360 controller without hitting the Y key? Also, is it possible to assign the MAP feature to the controller? Lastly, is there a way to get the trigger buttons on the 360 controller working under Crispy?

This has not yet been requested specifically for Crispy, but there is a discussion going on over at Choco's github tracker about plans to implement this. Once this feature has landed there, I will merge it into Crispy:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/758

Note to self: finish that feature. (picked it up again this evening)

The link works OK for me. Try changing your DNS and clearing your internet browser's cache or using a different browser.

Hi, so I've been reading the changelog and saw that you added support for "SMMU swirling flats" and decided to check it out. I took the ANIMATED lump from doomretro.wad (that comes with DR, because I was too lazy to make it from scratch) and changed the "Speed" value for every flat to 65536 (also tried 100000, still buggy). Anyway, what I get is some sort of weird tutti-frutti effect. It does animate BTW. Works flawlessly in Eternity.
(pics inside)

Spoiler

bzzrak said:

Anyway, what I get is some sort of weird tutti-frutti effect.

Oh, that shouldn't happen! Could you maybe send me this WAD file/lump via e-mail or open an issue in Github and attach it there? Thanks!
Edit: Stupid bug, fixed in GIT, thanks you!

If you don't mind, I have some few suggestions/questions. Would be possible to have options to switch between:

- original colored, pixelated automap and current in Crispy Doom 'modern' automap?

- old bugged and fixed ouch formula?

- original and stretched short skies?

- old bugged and fixed "Picked up a medikit that you REALLY need?" medikit formula?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Michael92 said:

Would be possible to have options to switch between:

Generally, I am all against switches all-over-the-place and all for reasonable defaults. But let's have a look at your points one-by-one:

- original colored, pixelated automap and current in Crispy Doom 'modern' automap?

The problem with the original Vanilla Automap color scheme is that one-sided lines are drawn in red and I wanted red lines for red-keyes doors and switches. So I started drawing these lines in another color, which meant I also had to choose other colors for floor and ceiling changes. These turned out to blend very badly with the 1.2x vertical stretching that is applied to the game window. So, in the end I ended up with PrBoom+'s standard color set and am quite glad with it.

- old bugged and fixed ouch formula?

- old bugged and fixed "Picked up a medikit that you REALLY need?" medikit formula?

Really? I mean these are so obvious coding errors. They were literally *asking* to get fixed. ;)

- original and stretched short skies?

You need to disable Free Look and Weapon Recoil Pitch for this.

Okay, another port placed next to hundreds with new-colors in HUD. Am I missing something?

Please, help! How I can stretch the image to the edges? I choose 1920x1080 resolution in fullscreen mode and get this:

But if I choose windowed 1920x1200 mode, I get a normal image.

Medis said:

Okay, another port placed next to hundreds with new-colors in HUD. Am I missing something?

This is for players who want to play vanilla Doom in double resolution, limit removing, bugfixed with vanilla demo compatibility and a couple of additions. Like an enhanced Chocolate Doom.

MAJ said:

Please, help! How I can stretch the image to the edges? I choose 1920x1080 resolution in fullscreen mode and get this:

https://zandronum.com/forum/download/file.php?id=147

But if I choose windowed 1920x1200 mode, I get a normal image.

You posted an attachment from the Zandronum forum? It doesn't work.

VGA said:

You posted an attachment from the Zandronum forum? It doesn't work.

Oops, I didn't know that. Here it is:

MAJ said:

This is because 1920x1080 isn't an integer multiple of the native resolution of 640x480. Well, 1920/640 = 3, that is, but 1080/480 = 2.25. So, the scaler has to fall back to the floor value of both which is 2, thus you end up with a 1280x960 screen in a 1920x1080 frame.

All will be better once Choco and thus Crispy make the switch to SDL2 hardware-based rendering.

Thanks, fabian.

fabian said:

All will be better once Choco and thus Crispy make the switch to SDL2 hardware-based rendering.

Will it be soon?

fabian said:

That depends on what "stretch the image to the edges" means. If we're talking only about the vertical edges, then yes, the work being done in sdl2-branch will fix that right up. If we're talking about stretching to fit the entire screen, that's another matter entirely.

Assuming the latter: as fabian implies, the native resolution of Crispy Doom is 640x480 (technically 640x400 but let's not get too off-track), which is a 4:3 ratio. The short answer is that this source port has no widescreen capabilities (such as PrBoom+ and ZDoom), only that it knows how to fit onto a monitor that is itself widescreen. If your utmost priority is to avoid "black borders" and don't mind the screen being grossly stretched just to fit, you can set your fullscreen resolution to something like 1280x960, at which point it'll fill the entire screen. (As it turns out, this kind of fullscreen stretching isn't currently user-possible with the changes in sdl2-branch.) I dunno if any of this paragraph is important but, y'know, just in case.

CapnClever, thanks man! When I choose 1280x960 resolution with fix aspect ratio, I get a fullscreen 16:9 image without any black borders - just what I need!
P.S.: I guess, true fullhd 16:9 picture will not come with SDL2 render support...

1280x960 is a 4:3 resolution. If there are no black borders on the sides (not windowboxing, pillarboxing) then the image is being stretched. If by "true fullhd" you mean being rendered at a high resolution as opposed to being rendered at 320x200 (Chcolate)/640x400 (Crispy) and upscaled, I highly doubt those ports will ever support such things. If you want a faithful experience with "true fullhd", PrBoom-Plus is probably the best option, with honorable mentions to Eternity Engine and Odamex.

Doom Retro has full widescreen when using the alternative HUD. I mean it fills the screen and keeps the correct aspect ratio.

VGA said:

Doom Retro has full widescreen when using the alternative HUD. I mean it fills the screen and keeps the correct aspect ratio.

Last time I checked, Doom Retro merely cut off the bottom parts of the screen (i.e. the status bar) until the aspect ratio of the remainder mostly fit 16:9, then scaled this to full screen and drew the HUD elements on top of this.

fabian said:

Last time I checked, Doom Retro merely cut off the bottom parts of the screen (i.e. the status bar) until the aspect ratio of the remainder mostly fit 16:9, then scaled this to full screen and drew the HUD elements on top of this.

Yes, so there are no black borders. Isn't that what we want?

VGA said:

Isn't that what we want?

Well, you are losing vertical pixels instead of gaining horizontal ones. Not sure if that is what you want.

What the hell is going on with the sound? The max music volume is too high, but max SFX volume is too low. My settings:

MAJ said:

What the hell is going on with the sound? The max music volume is too high, but max SFX volume is too low. My settings:

Sounds like the usual SDL bug which is caused by Windows not having a proper MIDI volume control setting per process.

I'd say these days it's a bug to even USE the native Windows MIDI stuff... >) Maybe as a fallback but not as the primary playback option.