• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wesleyjohnson

DoomLegacy 1.45 Release

Doom Legacy 1.45 is at SourceForge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/doomlegacy/files/1.45%20beta1/

There are two important bug fixes since alpha5, one of which fixes Quicksave to not hang the program in certain usages.

This replaces 1.42 as the beta release.
Doom Legacy started at svn500 with version 1.42, and is now at svn1107.
This about 600 patches.
The appearance is somewhat different, and the behavior given the odd problem wad is significantly improved. I strongly recommend any previous user of Doom Legacy to upgrade.

It still has the previous Doom Legacy features and have added a few more.
* 8 bit palette, 15/16/24/32 bit RGB, or OpenGL rendering.
* 3d floors, transparency, fog, water, swimming.
* Free look, jumping, slow door, voodoo doll options.
* Nearly complete Boom compatibility.
* 32 players.
* Team play with colors or skins.
* Single player, coop, deathmatch.
* Network play, local net and TCP, with IPX as a compile option.
* Fast code that does not require a gaming machine.
* Many menus and option controls to select Vanilla, Boom, or Legacy behavior.
* A basic Launcher menu appears when starting from an icon click or menu.
* A dropdown console that can query settings, control options, manage network play, and receives messages.
* Basic Bots, (computerized players).
* Searches several directories to find the user home directory and Wad files. Supports shared wad file directories.
* Save game directories, each that can have 99 saved games.
* Save games record the game and wads needed.

Does it need to have an install program? I'd rather download a zip (etc), unzip it and set it up myself.

Downloaded the source package (to compile in Linux).

Initial thoughts:
- ChangeLog.txt exists but is empty : remove it

- strange underscore for '_doc' and '_log' directories

- all code files in top-level directory, instead of in a 'src' or 'source' directory, and no documentation in top-level directory. I know this is a matter of taste, but as a Linux user you may have noticed that most source packages have a README (and a few other docs) in the top-level and have code in a sub-directory.

- no README. Yes I see that _doc/index.html is the main documentation page, but I suggest moving it to top level and call it README.html

- seems OpenGL is required for the build. I was only interested to try Legacy because of the software renderer (e.g. trying the new 32-bit renderer). Well, I guess it is not a problem so long as working OpenGL is not required to RUN the executable....

Anyway, more comments after compiling.

!! your makefile created folders in ".." (i.e. the directory above the doomlegacy_1.45_source dir).
THIS IS BAD, NEVER DO THIS !!

The binary compiled OK. I have placed legacy.wad into 'bin' and a symbolic link to doom2.wad -- but Legacy is not working, the output shown here:

StartupGraphics...
VID_SetMode(window,0)
IWAD recognized: Doom2
DOOM 2: Hell on Earth
Added file /home/andrewj/other/legacy_145_src/bin/doom2.wad (2956 lumps)
Added file /home/andrewj/other/legacy_145_src/bin/legacy.wad (85 lumps)
===========================================================================
                     This program is Free Software!
             See the terms of the GNU General Public License
===========================================================================
Launcher restart:
Warn: IWAD /home/andrewj/other/legacy_145_src/bin/freedoom2.wad not found
FreeDoom
Warn: W_InitMultipleFiles: no files found
Warn: No legacy.wad file.
Fatal error display: (press ESC to continue).
Launcher restart:
Warn: IWAD /home/andrewj/other/legacy_145_src/bin/freedoom2.wad not found
FreeDoom
Warn: W_InitMultipleFiles: no files found
Warn: No legacy.wad file.
Fatal error display: (press ESC to continue).
Shutting down joysticks.
Joystick subsystem closed cleanly.
Error: W_GetNumForName: ENDOOM not found!

Well, seems the "launcher" was stuck trying to find FreeDoom, even though I never touched the GAME setting.

Running it again, the GAME went back to "auto" and it works now.

As for playing : may post more later, but I'm glad there is a Scale Status bar option, and that the Left CTRL key can be bound to firing.

Sorry about the compile dirs. I sent a copy of your posting to our downloads manager with a suggestion to put another wrapper directory around the source code. We are used to having those source code versions within a compiling context and forgot that other users would not know to put it in a compiling context directory.

See the doomdef.h file for things you might want to change or disable.

The compiling of code for OpenGL and other hardware renderers can be disabled. I found that it is enabled in doomtype.h with the
#define HWRENDER, which is not where I thought it was.

Your error message is that it could not find legacy.wad.
This can be placed in /usr/local/share/games/doomlegacy for all users, or where you define LEGACYWADDIR in doomdef.h. Otherwise it looks in the current directory.

I suggest moving the bin to a run-time directory, and put legacy.wad there. Then CD to that directory to run. It is most likely Doom Legacy did not find legacy.wad because it was looking for it in your current directory. It also looks in two preset share directories.

If you do not specify a game, the default is freedoom.

I can't select my native resolution (1680x1050). Also how do I change to 3d mode ?

And how to load wads? For example, in Zdoom I just drag'n'drop it on the executable then I get asked for the iwad to load. Doom Legacy has this weird launcher where there is no entry to add wads.

And the wiki is down? Doesn't load for me.
http://legacywiki.net/

And the messages are not aligned with their grey messagebox at all.

You did download the common package and install it too. It has all the docs (that you at least take a look at). It also has legacy.wad which you will definitely need.

The Legacy native resolutions are limited to 1600 x 1200 because it must
allocate internal structures sized at the max render lines and this was the choice. It also gets slower at the larger resolutions. I play at 800x600 for speed and because it is hard to see much visual difference
from any of higher resolution. I recommend a window of 1600x1200 with such a monitor. Work on supporting 16:10 and 16:9 monitors at full screen resolution has been started but did not work right, so it is not in this release.

There are several ways to load PWADS. Drag and drop is not supported.
1. Use one of the launchers.
2. Use a command line and include -file xxx.wad
3. Legacy launcher, on the switches line, put -file xxx.wad.
All switches that do not explicitly have another line are on the switches line.
4. Open the console and type Map xxx.wad
If you do not know how to open the console, then open options and look for the key mapping. See which key it is mapped to.

legacywiki apparantly has been hijacked.

Firstly I want to apologize for shouting in my earlier post.

Secondly, I have come across two significant bugs to report:

(1) the -nomonsters command-line option does not work. This is a very standard option across DOOM ports, and greatly missed when not there. Seems like it just kinda got lost during development (rather than a deliberate removal).

(2) I am using FraggleScript to spawn monsters on 3D floors, which works fine, but if there is a monster below it then both monsters are stuck (cannot move) until one is killed. It is like they are infinitely tall, but the player can move freely over and under monsters, so I don't understand it.

Some minor issues are:
(a) on automap screen, the map name is drawn in middle of screen rather than above status bar
(b) screen wipes act as if the previous screen was completely black
(c) weapon aiming does not seems to take 3D floors into account, making it easy to blow yourself up when using the rocket launcher
(d) in the 3dfloor.wad example, the lava underneath the bridge does not do any damage.

I have used the switch -nomonsters in the alphas, but it is always possible it somehow got damaged.

Monsters getting stuck in other monsters on spawning has been a problem we have fixed before. Sounds like you found a new variation. Will need an example wad to do anything about it.

Where the automap name is drawn was a matter of taste by some previous programmer.

Screen wipes from black was something that happened because of some widespread screen draw fixes. Looked for the cause before but it is indirect. It is not high a priority problem.

Monsters will happily try to shoot the player from under a 3d-floor.
I suppose auto-aim would do the same (but I never use auto-aim).
Will check that it is on the deferred TODO list. It will not be one of those quick fix items, so it is deferred until spare time arises.

Damaging sector under a bridge. Is 3dfloor.wad a wad I should recognize?
I can check one place in the code, otherwise I may need a small wad demonstrating this problem.

andrewj said:

(2) I am using FraggleScript to spawn monsters on 3D floors, which works fine, but if there is a monster below it then both monsters are stuck (cannot move) until one is killed. It is like they are infinitely tall, but the player can move freely over and under monsters, so I don't understand it.

(c) weapon aiming does not seems to take 3D floors into account, making it easy to blow yourself up when using the rocket launcher

It's been a long time that I looked at this code, that was when I started implementing 3D-floor physics in GZDoom (that was 13 years ago) but I remember these being present even then, along with several other issues with the 3D floors - e.g. monsters being able to see through them. So yes, they have always been pretty much a broken feature from the start because half of the necessary checks were never added.

wesleyjohnson said:

Damaging sector under a bridge. Is 3dfloor.wad a wad I should recognize?
I can check one place in the code, otherwise I may need a small wad demonstrating this problem.

Look in _doc/res/

It is your tutorial wad demonstrating 3D floors, mentioned in _doc/3dfloors.html

It is the map which has the problem (not the code), the sector containing the bridge just needs a damaging type.

I think 3D floors is one of Legacy's main features, so it deserves time spent to get them working well. EDGE had similar issues for a while (like P_Sight not taking them into account) until I worked on fixing them.

EDIT: here is a wad demonstrating the stuck monsters issue. The room on the left (from start room) has the 3D floor. http://oblige.sourceforge.net/files/legacy_stuck.zip

EDIT 2: a forgot another bug, medium priority I think, with the sky rendering. When the player can see enough sky for it to tile vertically, well it does tile vertically but there is ugly tutti-frutti for several lines at the bottom of the texture.

Well, I did not find any bugs in the 3dfloor code regarding damaging sectors.
I will have to look for 3dfloors. I don't remember it being part of the distribution. Been using legacy_demo.wad and rainbowstar.wad as a demonstrators.
A demo wad is not the kind of thing I would be editing, unless it was clearly part of our distribution and clearly broken. Will discuss it with other members. Will have to look at that tutorial again.
(Update: A tiny demo wad of a 3d bridge. The center section of lava does not damage like the other sections.)

Seeing below the sky texture is a problem with every port. How to handle such level map failures gracefully is on ongoing discussion.
One suggestion is reflecting the sky map. Another is going to black.

Have not found the cause of the tnt door not rendering in OpenGL.
That line seems to be culled in polygon formation. TNT is full of shared sidedefs which is causing problems with Yadex. Had to rewrite parts of Yadex, but will have to use Eureka to even continue testing this problem. (No, I still don't have compiles of anybody elses favorite editor working yet either).

UPDATE:
Have several bug fixes (but have SVN update problems to fix first)
1. Read version 1.44 savegames.
2. nomonsters switch missing.
3. Stuck 3dfloor monsters.

UPDATE:
Some patches committed, see SVN.

UPDATE:
Patches committed for stuck monsters and several others.
May get something done about monsters trying to shoot through 3dfloors (or not)
Any more bugs will have to entered as bug reports at sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2479&atid=102479.