Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Comprehensive Doom95 guide for newer Windows

Yes, indeed the mouse works, I had just forgotten to tick the 'Use Mouse' box - silly me. Thanks for the fullscreen tip too. Could you please explain how you get the music to sound better? I've heard something about using different midifonts or something, but I have no experience of that. I've also read that it doesn't work on Windows 10 anymore, though I'm not sure.

Cire said:

Yes, indeed the mouse works, I had just forgotten to tick the 'Use Mouse' box - silly me. Thanks for the fullscreen tip too. Could you please explain how you get the music to sound better? I've heard something about using different midifonts or something, but I have no experience of that. I've also read that it doesn't work on Windows 10 anymore, though I'm not sure.

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth
Go to the forum, register and grab the latest alpha version.

Install that and point it to patch93's SC-55 soundfont. If after installation it is not the default midi device, some registry tweaking is needed:
http://pcaudiohelp.com/how-to-change-the-default-midi-device-in-vista-and-window-7/

It is using the bassmisi library.

I know I should let Doom95 die, but I tried messing around with it again and kinda made some progress I think. I got it to show the image over the whole screen, not squashed into the left corner anymore. Although the problem with the palette bug still seem to persist. I'm using Windows 10 with latest updates and latest GeForce driver available as of yet (361.75 I belive). Here's how I did it:

Install all patches for Doom95
Go to compatibility settings and tick Everything. Choose Windows 95.
Start Doom95 WITHOUT -emulate
Choose 640x480 and windowed mode.

Now we just need to figure out a way to get the colors right. :-/

Sorry for bump, but I found a way to get it to work in Windows 10. You should download DXGL, which is a free replacement for ddraw.dll that apparently redirects it to OpenGL somehow. In any way, it fixes the broken display in Doom95 on Win10.
https://www.dxgl.info/Main_Page
Hope someone finds it useful! :)

Hi Cire, i just register to say thank you to you and your amazing will to finally make doom95 work in modern windows platforms.

In my case im using a windows 8.1 64 bits OS and with your latest method (DXGL + full compatibilitiy options of the doom95 exe + windowed mode 640 x 480 ) it finally worked !

Now im able to play fullscreen with full colors and no glitches with doom95 thanks to you.

Anyway, is there any way to make doom95 now work in true windowed mode? i mean, in a real window instead of fullscreen? maybe you have figured it already.

Thanks.

Oh damn, I need to try this asap :D

By the way Cire, what are these Doom 95 patches you were talking about in your previous post?

For what it's worth, I was never able to get D95 to run windowed on XP or even Win98. It would be cool if someone found a fix for that after all this time.

Windows 8 has screwed things up for Doom 95 considerably. I used DXGL and had to set the video mode to aspect-correct3ed stretching or something like that. But after I changed the controls to WASD+mouse and applied the mousefix ... the controls are sticky! It is unplayable like this.

Also, the mouse is visible which is distracting. But that can be fixed in other ways.

Can't speak for W8 myself, I'm using Win10. On my PC I could use the standard settings with DXGL. Didn't try mouselook, sorry if it's working badly but at least the display is working better than without DXGL. I don't Think there's a way to make D95 work 100% correctly on W8 and up, sadly.

YES!

I uninstalled DXGL and installed dgVoodoo2
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2.html

I just added Doom 95's folder to its list and then copied the dll files from the MS folder into the Doom 95 folder. I will play with the settings later.

WASD+mouse works fine. Of course I have also used that mousefix earlier.

This is on win8 x64.