Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

ZDoom or Skulltag ?

Gustavo6046 said:

What about always running ZDL with skulltag-data.wad loaded so we can take some Abbadons down?

Zandronum changed Skulltag's internal assets to become optional assets for a reason. For a good reason, if you asked me. Presence of these assets should have always been optional, because forced game changes suck. Wads made for ZDoom would potentially break if unintended assets were forcedly loaded. Or perhaps the player wants to cheat with IDKFA but doesn't want to use the non-vanilla Skulltag weapons, which force themselves to default weaponslots and take priority over normal ones. Etc.

I believe you can set it up so that your wad launcher loads skulltag-data automatically, though, if you want it.

Doomkid said:

I didn't realize so many people didn't know that Zandronum literally is Skulltag. Do the data and actors PK3 files come with the installer?

Unfortunately not, if you are saying about skulltag-data.pk3.

If your wad downloading program is set up properly it'll be downloaded immediately when you try to join any server that needs it. In case of WadSeeker, you can type filenames to search for any time.

Marcaek said:

You can use Skulltag resources with Zandronum. Any Skulltag mod will work provided you load the resources before other wads. Servers hosting wads utilizing Skulltag content will download the needed files if you don't have them provided your wad downloading iss set up properly.

Aw shit yeah, thanks man!

Marcaek said:

Literally all of that works when you load the data pk3s. This isn't hard to do.

Problem here is last I checked the ST stuff is using ST-specific code that is foreign to G/ZDoom and would need modifying out all the ST-isms before use.

Question about Zandronum. ST was my go to source port for years and I only play SP. The weapon switching works different on PRBoom and Zdoom than ST, plus PRBoom is giving me all kinds of grief with Hell Knights and Barons not attacking CG's when they get hit. Also, on PRBoom I can't jump off a ledge over top of way lower to the ground enemies. It stops me dead in my tracks. Will Zandronum play basically the same as skulltag and address these issues I'm having with PRBoom?

Edit: Looks like I pretty much figured out that Zdoom is not having nearly as many issues as prboom. Anyone else having these issues with boom as it's the only source port I know how to record with?

Ashstrodamus said:

Question about Zandronum. ST was my go to source port for years and I only play SP. The weapon switching works different on PRBoom and Zdoom than ST, plus PRBoom is giving me all kinds of grief with Hell Knights and Barons not attacking CG's when they get hit. Also, on PRBoom I can't jump off a ledge over top of way lower to the ground enemies. It stops me dead in my tracks. Will Zandronum play basically the same as skulltag and address these issues I'm having with PRBoom?

Edit: Looks like I pretty much figured out that Zdoom is not having nearly as many issues as prboom. Anyone else having these issues with boom as it's the only source port I know how to record with?

Not sure what you mean by "Hell Knights and Barons not attacking CG's", but the rest is intended behavior of PrBoom+. If you are interested in speedrunning (as you've said in the speed demos subforum), I highly recommend getting used to it if you want to speedrun wads that were intended for Boom-compatible/vanilla-compatible ports, as if you record runs on those wads in ZDoom, the records will be considered invalid by many people, mostly because of the differences in how ZDoom and PrBoom+ work.

4shockblast said:

Not sure what you mean by "Hell Knights and Barons not attacking CG's", but the rest is intended behavior of PrBoom+. If you are interested in speedrunning (as you've said in the speed demos subforum), I highly recommend getting used to it if you want to speedrun wads that were intended for Boom-compatible/vanilla-compatible ports, as if you record runs on those wads in ZDoom, the records will be considered invalid by many people, mostly because of the differences in how ZDoom and PrBoom+ work.

Sometimes the HK and Barons aren't infighting with the CG's for some odd reason. I'm working with boom, but it's a big change from what I was used to.

Infinitely tall things are native to classic Doom and also Boom compatibility. ZDoom-based ports (including Skulltag and Zandronum) disable them by default. PrBoom-plus keeps them by default, but allows the player to disable them in Options (but does NOT allow wad authors to forcedly enable/disable them in their wads).

Targeting threshold (temporarily preventing infighting for 3 seconds after monster is hit) is a phenomenon that should behave the same in all ports (although well, I suspect a slight discrepancy in its behaviour between ZDoom-based and other ports, but not sure about it).

scifista42 said:

Infinitely tall things are native to classic Doom and also Boom compatibility. ZDoom-based ports (including Skulltag and Zandronum) disable them by default. PrBoom-plus keeps them by default, but allows the player to disable them in Options (but does NOT allow wad authors to forcedly enable/disable them in their wads).

Is turning them off held against me in speed demos?

Doomkid said:

I didn't realize so many people didn't know that Zandronum literally is Skulltag. Do the data and actors PK3 files come with the installer?

No, you have to download Skulltag separately and copy the data pk3s over. There's no shortage of servers that still use these pk3s so all you'd have to do is join one of them and download them through the wad downloader.

Ashstrodamus said:

Is turning them off held against me in speed demos?

I do not know how to turn off infinitely tall monsters in PrBoom+, I can't find that option myself in the menu. Regardless, it probably wouldn't work with demo recording on the correct compatibility modes, so you can't use it.

Sorry, I should have researched before claiming such a thing. It was false.

PrBoom-plus has "Options -> General -> last page -> COMPATIBILITY WITH COMMON MAPPING ERRORS -> Walk under solid hanging bodies".

However, it's just for making hanging bodies nonsolid, not to disable infinitely tall actors. That indeed seems impossible in PrBoom-plus.

If the MP forum happens first thing I'm requesting is a sticky regarding why ST is outdated and irrelevant, heh.

Marcaek said:

If the MP forum happens first thing I'm requesting is a sticky regarding why ST is outdated and irrelevant, heh.

Outdated? yes. Irrelevant? no.

The only reason Skulltag's website is still up is for archiving reasons I suppose so you can play those super cool Skulltag mods from back in the good old days of 2008. I find it odd they actually don't tell you Zandronum is the update to Skulltag straight up on the front page or at least link it instead of making you go to a thing telling you why they stopped making it.

SavageCorona said:

The only reason Skulltag's website is still up is for archiving reasons I suppose so you can play those super cool Skulltag mods from back in the good old days of 2008. I find it odd they actually don't tell you Zandronum is the update to Skulltag straight up on the front page or at least link it instead of making you go to a thing telling you why they stopped making it.

That'd be because Carnevil controls the Skulltag webspace, and he had a falling-out with the team for....reasons. That's part of why it's Zandronum now.

SavageCorona said:

The only reason Skulltag's website is still up is for archiving reasons [...]

And to promote Wrack, mainly.