Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

EDGE vs ZDOOM

Can someone contrast the two for me? What does one have that the other lacks? What are the good points of each? The bad? Thanks.

Edge:

True 3D
RTS scripting
DDF files (replaces deh nicely)
16 bit color

ZDoom:
ACS scripting (very complete)
Poly objects (ie movable objects)
Bots
Supports dehacked (deh)

That's the major ones I can think of, off the top. I am using both and I'd say that its too tough to pick between the two. Use both! :)

--EDGE--
*I don't really care about rooms-over-rooms that much, actually they don't seem to work on my EDGE v1.24 (i tried -truebsp and it still didn't do crap, im using the wad "stadel.wad" as reference here).

*RTS scripting is very cool but could use quite abit more options.

*DDFs are 70% the reason I like EDGE, and dosdoom before that. Mega-incredible mod capacity here (almost as much mod/TC capacity as quake has).

*As for color, I always run in 256 colors just-because, it doesn't make much difference and actually I like 256 cols better.

--ZDOOM--
*I never found out how to get bots to work.

*The only real reasons I like zdoom is for easy internet-play and the "skins" feature

*If edge had the above, I wouldn't pay any thought to zdoom - it wouldn't exist to me.

4 things I can think of for improving EDGE right off the bat are:

-*Translucncy values over 100%, this would make any colors above 128,128,128 brighter towards white + solid and anything below more and more transparent
(you could have a very bright impact explosion that is bright white and solid in the center, but translucent on the outsides, would fit the BFG hit very well + Plasma Gun too).

-*The ability to load images and sounds themselves (like .wav or .gif) instead of having to have them in a wad. Also that the images have an independant palette so your not limited on colors from the doom palette (ex. remap colors to doom palette if in 256 mode, keep colors same while in 16-bit) - could have 200 shades of blue and oh my god, Teal! and palettes wouldn't conflict, to resolve the transparent color, the last color would always be transparent.

-*Penitration/Protection factors for entities, this is mainly a mod-maker's option. It allows single-shot going through multiple enemies firearms like 7.62mm or Railguns without killing big monsters that could take a complete penitration (like cyberdemon).

-*Netplay, if EDGE doesn't have a very easy to use net-interface it will be left behind by titles like boom and zdoom.

Wildman said:

Edge:

True 3D
RTS scripting
DDF files (replaces deh nicely)
16 bit color

ZDoom:
ACS scripting (very complete)
Poly objects (ie movable objects)
Bots
Supports dehacked (deh)

That's the major ones I can think of, off the top. I am using both and I'd say that its too tough to pick between the two. Use both! :)

just wanted to add..
as well as deh support, zdoom has .bex support both from boom, but allso adds some own stuff too (like a railgun, both for enemies and the player).

.bex removes some of the limitations of dehacked (the limit is actually in the original doom exe), such as codepointers only at certain frames and such.

sirgalahadwizar said:

Actually Edge does have the penitraction factor, it's in the DDF files, and yes, Edge has no multiplayer at the moment, but it is possible to make bots, in-fact it was one of the first things done with ddf. I perfer Edge better than Zdoom, yet Zdoom is still excellent.

Where is that penitration factor, huh?

Is it a special flag for "attack_special" or something.
Is it a variable like "penitration=4".

...Or is it that damn cheezy attack stacking (making a shotcount of 30 and perfect accuracy).

If it is the attack stacking, then I don't want to know because that's not what im looking for, im looking for an attack that will hurt an enemy, travel through to hit only a few more enemies, while still leaving some of them alive. This wonderful weapon shoots 2mm pins at about 4500 ft/sec (sub-railgun?).

My next question is how do you add more ammo types (so that I can make armor-piercing ammo or "boiler" rockets). I need about 4 extra ammotypes so far (to be put in levels using rts scripts rather than level editing - i suck at level editing so i don't do that.)

Can I make enemies shoot multiple attacks - more than just the 3 alloted by spare attack, ranged attack, and close attack (like "spare_attack(pulse_blast)" - same way it's done in weapons.ddf).

Can I make a "tome of power" type of item that gives certain weapons for a short time only (like putting a "(60:60)" after the weapon benefit - just like other powerups).

i don't think that it's attack stacking, but i'm not sure now that you mention it, but i'll check. I don't believe you can add any new ammo's YET, and as for the multiple attack for enemies, i think this can be done, but i'd need to check, but yes, you can make a tome of power type item, but it's really hard work.