Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BigMike

Do user-made wads work with Doom ports?

Guest BigMike

I have been able to play user made wads with Doomgl, but only a few. With other ports like Zdoom and Legacy, I have not been able to play user made wads at all, just the orignal Doom wads from ID. Do this ports only work with wads made for them in specific? Sorry for asking this question if the answer is obvious, but I am new to all this.

P.S> Just wanted to say that it is amazing how these Doom ports breath new life into the classic game from ID. Wish the same could be done for other DOS classics such as Rise of the Triad, Duke3d, Strife, and others. I know there are many complications in doing so, but one can always hope. The authors of the Doom ports deserve a HUGE thanks for offering their talents and skills so these ports exist for all of us to enjoy. Your hard work is appreciated!

Guest Commando

Yes. Create a shortcut to the port and modify the properties of the shortcut in the target section to have an exstention that says -file wadname.wad, wadname being the name of the wad.
Enjoy

Guest BigMike

Thanks for the info, but thats what I have been trying. I have tried the classis megawad ICARUS with just about all ports, but only can get it to work with DOOMGL. I especially like the LEGACY doom port, but I can't get ICARUS, ETERNAL, MEMENTO MORI, or other wads, besides original wads, to work with it. DOOMGL will run these wads, but has some serious bugs, and it looks like updates to DOOMGL has been halted for now. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Um, you just type "zdoom -file x.wad", or "boom -file y.wad", or whatever.

Make sure the .wads are in the same directory as the .exe s, if not you'll have to type something like "mbf -file c:\doom2\wads\z.wad"

The only .wads that don't work with ports are ones created for other ports, e.g. EDGE .wads won't work with ZDoom, and visa versa.

I just noticed that you say that you can't even run the original levels. Uh, right.

I assume you realise that the ports HAVE to use the original .wads (which also contain the original levels) to run? Otherwise, where the heck do you think all the graphics are?

This has been said many, many times. The .exe's MUST be in your original doom/doom2/tnt/plutonia, or use "port -iwad c:\doom2\doom2.wad".

Guest BigMike

To NIGHTMARE:

I can run the original levels just fine Nightmare, its user-made wads that I have trouble getting to run with ports like LEGACY or ZDOOM. The original ID wads work fine. The wads I have been trying to run are megawads like ICARUS and MEMENTO MORI. These wads will work with the older DOOMGL port, however, I would prefer to run them with a more modern port such as LEGACY. If I choose a wad file other than an original ID wad file, LEGACY chokes on it. Same thing with ZDOOM, whether started from a ZDOOM launcher or from the command line. I don't know if these ports can even run user made wad files, or at least ones not made specificly for these ports. An explaination of what user made wad files different ports can run is hard information to find I have found out. They all can run the original ID wad files that came with the different Doom versions, but all bets are off when it comes to user made wads. Any info that would clear this up would be appreciated by those of us that are new at using the Doom ports.
If anybody out there can get ICARUS or MEMENTO Mori to run with either ZDOOM or LEGACY, please let me know how you did it. The urls for these two wads are:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/themes/TeamTNT/icarus.zip

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/doom2/themes/mm/mm_allup.zip