Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

Source port wishlist

Some things I want in a future version of a sourceport...

1) Highscore tables. Sound wierd? I want to be able to record my fastest time, and beat it, without having to memorise it. And, instead of the m:ss format, how about m'ss"ms format?
2) New THINGS as standard with no actual value. Why? To insert these new things in maps, and determone what they are. I know edge does this, BUT it would be nice to, say, do a grenade launcher and have Legacy or something compatible with it. Maybe there would be standard THNIG numbers for user-determined things, as there are the p5-8 player starts.
3) Allow selectable episodes in Doom2 mode. Maybe maps for Doom2, renamed to the ExMy format. The port will base what KIND of level on the IWAD present, and use additional M_EP graphics for the episodes.

The Eternity Engine will eventually have (1), I just have to figure out a way to deal with PWADs and the such. (2) would not work because getting ports to cooperate these days is just about impossible. Eternity will include some blank thing types for dehacking purposes, but the thing numbers will not be supported by other ports unless the authors of those ports are so motivated. (3) is not a terrible idea -- SoM and I have thought about adding an episode definition lump.

Quasar

As for (1), if you're running say, tnt.wad then it would save a highscore file as, say tnt.hom. You would specify which directory these highscore rankings go in.

As for ???.hom - it means something. It's both a homage to those editing days when I used to see lots of HOM, heh, and means 'Hall of Masters', as opposed to it just being a 'hall of fame'.

Not terrible, but its a little insufficient to make it that simple, since sometimes you'll want to load multiple wads. However I think if I actually used the savegame checksum method that is used to record what wads were in use to get a unique ID, then combined with your approach it could identify files for each particular combination of wads. It might work ;)

Quasar