Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

List of vanilla tricks not supported by ZDoom?

On the gameplay side, watch out for wallrunning. On the rendering side there's less, but of course you'll have to be careful with some more extreme rendering hacks which cannot be handled by OpenGL ports, but ZDoom's software renderer should be fine for most stuff.

Guest Unregistered account

I believe that crystal Sectors don't allow bullets to pass through, but I could be wrong on that. Makes a good fake glass effect, anyway.

There was this trick with some sort of elevator door that worked ONLY in vanilla.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/70949-elevator-doors-aka-foxpups-stupid-vanilla-tricks/

EDIT: it doesn't work in Boom, but does in ZDoom if you use some option in MAPINFO. Close enough?

EDIT2: you actually made a post about one of such tricks yourself!
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/72885-weird-level-hack-decoupling-linedefs-and-segs/2/

Kapanyo said:

I believe that crystal Sectors don't allow bullets to pass through, but I could be wrong on that. Makes a good fake glass effect, anyway.

That is a compatiblity option (compat_trace in MAPINFO) The change was made by accident and when it was discovered some maps were already relying on them being blocking.

Da Werecat said:

E1M5 of an unfinished vanilla wad of mine has a Weird Trick™ that fails in ZDoom, making the map impossible to beat. I never investigated it, so I don't know the precise reason (strict compatibility doesn't solve it).

It concerns the Thing 116 ( blast trigger ). You forgot to make it solid. ( WhackEd4 obstacle flag ). A wonder it works as is in other ports. Just change Bits = 4 to Bits = 6.