Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Calico

I'm enjoying this thread a lot; it reads like a developer diary. Nice to see the gradual progression on the project.
Good luck and please keep us posted with screenshots!

I realize this may be slightly outside of the scope of the project, but will mouse input and/or individually controlled strafing be supported? By individually controlled strafing, I mean the ability to strafe without sacrificing your ability to turn or having to use the use key.

Why would the shitty input scheme be emulated?

Even Chocolate Doom has an option to disable vertical mouse movement. In vanilla you have to use the novert TSR.

Agentbromsnor said:

Does this mean that PSX Doom will also be properly playable on PC?

No, this is about the Jaguar port.

For PSX, Quasar has done some things in EE, and there are people out there who are apparently working on a GZDoom fork. A more "chocolaty" alternative might emerge after that, if anyone is interested in doing it.

VGA said:

According to that video, I would say it doesn't have diminishing light. Or it's different anyway.

No, it definitely has diminishing lighting, it's different though.

Blastfrog said:

No, it definitely has diminishing lighting, it's different though.

It works in 16-bit color courtesy of CRY luminance. Flats and wall textures do not fade coherently with each other though; doesn't seem Carmack spent a lot of time trying to get them to match up reasonably.

The effect of Jaguar Doom's diminished lighting is fairly visible in the part of the video featuring MAP03(E1M3). The dark metal texture everywhere fades to black pretty quickly due to the way the diminished lighting works in this version

That made me curious how visible the effect was in the original doom renderer, so I popped the jaguar MAP01 into Chocolate doom with the right textures and uh

I suspect fake contrast didn't make it into the Jaguar renderer. hmm. Hard to tell if there's much diminiished lighting in this shot due to the fake contrast.

InsanityBringer said:

The effect of Jaguar Doom's diminished lighting is fairly visible in the part of the video featuring MAP03(E1M3). The dark metal texture everywhere fades to black pretty quickly due to the way the diminished lighting works in this version

It is visible at Quasars screenshot too. Just look at the ceiling.

It's hard to see from this place on E1M1. If you check Jaguar Doom videos on Youtube, you'll see it's the same. It will be more apparent on other levels.

VGA said:

But that's a different port(?)

From what I understand: like most of the early console ports of Doom, the PSX version runs on the Jaguar Doom engine.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sony_PlayStation

"The Sony PlayStation version of Doom is a port of Doom and Doom II by Williams Entertainment. It was released on November 16, 1995, and runs on a modified version of the Doom engine used in the Atari Jaguar port."

Gez said:

No, this is about the Jaguar port.

For PSX, Quasar has done some things in EE, and there are people out there who are apparently working on a GZDoom fork. A more "chocolaty" alternative might emerge after that, if anyone is interested in doing it.

I know it is, but the PSX version should run on the same version of the Jaguar Doom engine, or so I've been told.

I guess they started on that code base but there are obvious big differences between the two ports.

Although it would be cool to see a PSX Doom Ex fork of Doom 64 Ex. Not that simple, though, I'm sure heh.

Agentbromsnor said:

From what I understand: like most of the early console ports of Doom, the PSX version runs on the Jaguar Doom engine.

To the extent that the Jaguar version runs on the PC Doom engine. There are a lot of differences between the hardware as well as the software -- you only need to look at how PSX Doom added colored lighting, for example.

Gez said:

To the extent that the Jaguar version runs on the PC Doom engine. There are a lot of differences between the hardware as well as the software -- you only need to look at how PSX Doom added colored lighting, for example.

Fair enough. :) I still hoped it would open the door to it, but I understand it would be a lot of hard work (with perhaps little gain, seeing as the PSX Doom total conversion is a thing).

Agentbromsnor said:

Fair enough. :) I still hoped it would open the door to it, but I understand it would be a lot of hard work (with perhaps little gain, seeing as the PSX Doom total conversion is a thing).

It is quite possible to base a very accurate PlayStation port on this. Kaiser and I have already discussed plans for the future.

Quasar said:

It is quite possible to base a very accurate PlayStation port on this. Kaiser and I have already discussed plans for the future.

Sweet! I'm excited to see what you guys come up with.

Your color blends are very "rich", much more so than PC vanilla. The last shot looks like true green which is absent in the Doom palette, and the second to last is a bit on the purplish side. Though, I have to admit, it looks nice :) Not sure I'd change it. Heh, you're getting into the fun stuff, now, huh? I have a feeling that your code will work better than the original. Go for it, man.

Looking pretty sweet there, Quasar! Definitely looking forward to trying this out.

Quasar said:

I wonder if it would be close enough to satisfy my sorry, picky ass? :p