Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Source port creators, what source port do you prefer?

Chu said:

ZDoom's 2.0 :-)

ZDoom 2.0 was a non-issue, and doesn't even exist as a release. That was on very old times when things were quite different.

Graf Zahl said:

ZDoom 2.0 was a non-issue, and doesn't even exist as a release. That was on very old times when things were quite different.

Ah, I'm remembering too far back =) Well, you get the general idea I was going for ;)

Technically - it's already possible to do with Vanilla Doom and some certain source ports. But it does not function well universally.

Most source ports still support COLORMAP replacements. Just write the color swaps on the [0] range of the COLORMAP table and a lot of them will pick right up on it.

Maybe that should be what OpenGL ports focus on, and going forward that could also be what the old paletted ports use as well?

Quick and dirty example here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/06an6k - this uses COLORMAP to convert Doom graphics to the Heretic palette.

Rachael said:

Most source ports still support COLORMAP replacements. Just write the color swaps on the [0] range of the COLORMAP table and a lot of them will pick right up on it.

Even QZDoom? Does it interpolate between COLORMAP translations for light fading?

printz said:

Even QZDoom? Does it interpolate between COLORMAP translations for light fading?

No - QZDoom does not support it yet.

I posted a link to an example wad - some source ports will pick up on it well, some won't. Vanilla Doom will run it decently with everything except the menu and status bar.

Rachael said:

I wouldn't take this for granted at all. I'm quite convinced that of the hardware accelerated ports none are doing this.