Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMPhobos

Arctic Outpost [GZDoom Map]

And another great looking wad. How am I going to play all these AND map at the same time?

4 hours ago, elend said:

And another great looking wad. How am I going to play all these AND map at the same time?

The map is around 15 minutes long should you like to give it a try ;)

Edited by DMPhobos

Pretty neat smallish map. I enjoyed my time with it, even if that Doom64 Cyberdemon felt a tiny bit out of place, stylistically wise. Was great seeing that Darkmoon chaingun again, though! A sign of things to come? ;)

2 hours ago, AL-97 said:

Was great seeing that Darkmoon chaingun again, though! A sign of things to come? ;)

Im afraid not haha, but the darkmoon style was fresh in my mind when i made it so i kinda used some weapons, and textures. Im hoping to have darkmoon news  real soon

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

@DMPhobosThat's your map? looks really moody and nice...

Thanks man, it took me forever to finally release this haha

Heyo DMPhobos, i had a good 15 minutes with this one. This is a neat-looking map, plenty of snazzy industrial/tech textures and cool subtle GZDoom effect usage, especially the opening fog. Certainly channels the spirit of the 1982 John Carpenter classic, and manages to be more than a typical techbase.

As far as action maps go, this one is "lunch-break" sized. Deliberately easy-going and forgiving, but generally quick enough to not devolve into boredom. Out of all your custom resources, the new bullet weapons are my fav: absolute killers towards those hordes of helpless hitscanners. Interesting idea with changing the Revenant rockets to faster, smaller but no less deadly projectiles, though you seem to held back on them. Final boss transition was cinematic, but the boss's sprite is a goofy stylistic clash, and he behaves almost like a normal cyb anyway heh.

It's fun and it's pretty. Cool map!

This is a great map, 5/5 for me. I liked the different sections(Cold, poison, etc). The game play is nice, its not too challenging or easy. The cyber demon fight was goofy but in a good way for me. I hope this wins an award. :-)

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

Final boss transition was cinematic, but the boss's sprite is a goofy stylistic clash, and he behaves almost like a normal cyb anyway heh.

49 minutes ago, Astral-Doomer said:

The cyber demon fight was goofy but in a good way for me

I added the cyberdemon at the end just for the contest, i was a little hesitant to include it, but since i didn't wanted to just end the map withouth making something special i went ahead and quickly made the encounter. One plan i had for release here was to remove him and make a hell level after this one but since i never got around it, i keept it. 

Glad you guys liked the map

Remembering the stream of Joel, I expected a very tough gameplay, but now the map seemed to me quite easy. Maybe I'm too cautious, waiting for hardcore. I must say that this is one of the most atmospheric maps this year and certainly one of the strongest in the contest.

It is difficult to find words to describe all the positive experience from this map. Just exellent!

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png First Demo Attempt - GZDoom 3.5.1

This is very cool map. Well-placed enemies, nice effects, good weapons (at last there are 2 bullet-spewing devices), new monsters fit very well there. Do you have other maps, I want to try them as well? (If only I haven't already.)

1 hour ago, Mere_Duke said:

Do you have other maps, I want to try them as well? (If only I haven't already.)

Unfortunately i don't have a lot of released maps :( most of the maps i've done this year have been submissions to other community projects. That said closest thing to this map it's darkmoon were i did a couple of maps and has a similar base style to this one. Not finished yet, but has a small alpha.

Guess i really need to do some revisions to the gameplay, i'll update the base map soon to have better difficulty implementations, keeping HNTR as the stream difficulty and make UV harder

Edited by DMPhobos

Thank you for the video @Rex705, it was fun to watch the map with a different coat of paint and sounds

1 hour ago, Classicgamer6 said:

Was pretty fun though it took me two attempts because I gibbed myself. Big fan of the music and you can never have enough artic levels.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

This was such a awesome journey. Great atmosphere, bit easier but fun gameplay and wery well done level design. Great job, i really like this wad.

Also i decide for something new so here is my first playthrough:

1 hour ago, Marlamir said:

This was such a awesome journey. Great atmosphere, bit easier but fun gameplay and wery well done level design. Great job, i really like this wad.

Also i decide for something new so here is my first playthrough

The fog effects seem to be missing, but nothing too serious, thanks for the video :)

2 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

The fog effects seem to be missing, but nothing too serious, thanks for the video :)

Maybe is because of my settings, i'm trying to have them more vanilla faithfull. something is probably turn off and its causing fog to not appear, i guess.

Played the map.

Spoiler

For as sprawling as some of the rooms are, the map itself is relatively short. It is never confusing or frustrating.

That new chaingun feels ultra powerful to wield. No wonder I had to keep resetting my view back down after using it!

I like the nightmare imps. They are the right amount of challenge.

That ending boss was not what I expected. I'm surprised I didn't die to it.

This map is a definite must play!