Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Wormwood [2 halloween maps]

Fun maps.

01: Conceptually simple core fight but really fun mechanically and remains enjoyable at all phases, even cleanup: two roaming cybs and an arena with lots of blind spots is a neat way to create tension. BFG spam vs. viles is tried and true and good. Cute exit gimmick. "Tron in Love" would be a great midi to use in a love-hotel-themed Dead Simple map. 

02: Midi reminded me of elephants stomping menacingly once it kicks into that alternating one-two phase. Aesthetically this is driven by 'well curated textures' in a way that makes me jealous of your texture stock. Hilarious facework. Oppressive cyb or vile overseeing is definitely something of a persisting mini-theme. Highlights for me (UV) were the southern area fights and red keycard one. Magnolia's style of 'accumulative' layout design is evident. Seems playtested. ;) 

Edited by rdwpa

map 01 was a lot of fun (on HMP).  the chaingunners were really neat tbh.  and the cybers had a lot of tension and still felt like the main antagonists even with all the flak from revs and knights.  archviles were rather easy compared to the other encounters [some cacos could apply pressure and block the player from flying out of the arena].  Nice ending (i picked trick).

thanks!

Happy halloween everyone!

5 hours ago, rdwpa said:

"Tron in Love" would be a great midi to use in a love-hotel-themed Dead Simple map.

Debatable!

Cool maps and nice palette! map02 was a real treat on UV. The major fights hit that sweet spot of being challenging, while still accessible from a blind perspective with less than ideal execution. Not sure if intentional, but in phase 2 of the YSK fight with the Cyber + Viles behind him, I was able to lure the Cyber to the side without alerting the Viles and then faceroll them with the BFG.

Awesome maps, I've enjoyed them. The first one is simple but very conceptual. The second one is too much frenetic. The palette's green gives a tetric touch. I've played on HMP, I guess to play on UV soon if I'm mentally prepared.

For the intensity of combat setups in map2 there were actually a good amount of exploration, very nicely paced. Shouldn't have started on UV though. Map1 had a pretty midi. Finished on UV regardless, pretty gratifying difficulty, if you save before engaging in each arena. Very much enjoyed the atmosphere of each level.

Edited by JDR