Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Doomworld /idgames Downloads Issue

There is currently an issue with the downloads on Doomworld's /idgames as of 1/24/2021. You see, all of the FTP download mirrors seem to be not working. For example, on the legacy version page for this WAD, all of the FTP mirrors won't work, as well as the web mirror. Of course, the SSL mirrors work fine. The WAD won't even download on it's modern download page, which is a problem. I don't know if this is just going on on my end or not, but what could be the problem?

19 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

There is currently an issue with the downloads on Doomworld's /idgames as of 1/24/2021. You see, all of the FTP download mirrors seem to be not working. For example, on the legacy version page for this WAD, all of the FTP mirrors won't work, as well as the web mirror. Of course, the SSL mirrors work fine. The WAD won't even download on it's modern download page, which is a problem. I don't know if this is just going on on my end or not, but what could be the problem?

The entire site seems to be having issues today so may just need to be patient it looks

Just now, Major Arlene said:

The entire site seems to be having issues today so may just need to be patient it looks

The idgames mirrors are extremely not Doomworld. That's not relevant to this.

21 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

You see, all of the FTP download mirrors seem to be not working.

This will be your web browser. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox have started blocking unsecured services like FTP. They still work in a standalone FTP client, like windows explorer itself:

image.png.52ab1eff8ff567cd5ef1cd81f8402556.png

13 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The idgames mirrors are extremely not Doomworld. That's not relevant to this.

This will be your web browser. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox have started blocking unsecured services like FTP. They still work in a standalone FTP client, like windows explorer itself:

image.png.52ab1eff8ff567cd5ef1cd81f8402556.png

Not sure about Firefox, but Edge still supports FTP links in the latest version.

Just now, Andromeda said:

Not sure about Firefox, but Edge still supports FTP links in the latest version.

Some, maybe, but it's absolutely rejecting the idgames mirrors. The servers themselves are working perfectly fine, it's just the web browser.

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Some, maybe, but it's absolutely rejecting the idgames mirrors. The servers themselves are working perfectly fine, it's just the web browser.

Huh, you're right - just tried downloading a random file and was unable to. Yesterday it was working fine, I swear they roll out updates so quickly nowadays...

Have you tried right clicking on the FTP link and selecting "Save Link As"? At least in Chrome it'll allow you to save the .zip file. You might get a message that "whatever.zip can't be downloaded securely". But there should be an option to the right that has "Discard" or an "^", if you click on the arrow you can select keep, and it'll download.

At least for me (Chrome  87.0.4280.141), your mileage may vary, but yeah, pretty much all browsers have been trying to phase out FTP for a few years now. Looks like it's finally coming to fruition.

And yeah, Chrome has been refusing direct clicks on FTP for at least a month, maybe two.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

I should have known that this was the problem. It's pretty sad how they would just cut off a whole service despite how some websites still use FTP.

4 minutes ago, Jello said:

Have you tried right clicking on the FTP link and selecting "Save Link As"? At least in Chrome it'll allow you to save the .zip file. You might get a message that "whatever.zip can't be downloaded securely". But there should be an option to the right that has "Discard" or an "^", if you click on the arrow you can select keep, and it'll download.

At least for me (Chrome  87.0.4280.141), your mileage may vary, but yeah, pretty much all browsers have been trying to phase out FTP for a few years now. Looks like it's finally coming to fruition.

That actually works, thanks for the help. If FTP does actually get 100% phased out, then Doomworld should really migrate their service so it's up to date to modern services.

21 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

I should have known that this was the problem. It's pretty sad how they would just cut off a whole service despite how some websites still use FTP.

That actually works, thanks for the help. If FTP does actually get 100% phased out, then Doomworld should really migrate their service so it's up to date to modern services.

Glad I could help, I was hoping it would work for you. But yeah, there have been attempts to phase out FTP for years due to security issues. I don't think this workaround is going to work forever. 

I'll leave it up to the folks that maintain iDgames and Doomworld to comment on the feasibility of migrating from FTP, but I can't imagine it would be the easiest thing in the world. But it'll have to happen eventually, unless everyone is expected to use a standalone FTP client, as Edward850 suggested, but that won't happen. People will try to click on the link, nothing happens, and they'll just think the link is broken and move on with their lives.

20 minutes ago, Jello said:

People will try to click on the link, nothing happens, and they'll just think the link is broken and move on with their lives.

''I will show you fear in a handful of dust"

That verse come to my mind just as i read you.

Probably not contextualy appropiate, but works on the level of how old things, dust in this case, could bring us fear just by thinking they could not be there anymore.

1 hour ago, Jello said:

Have you tried right clicking on the FTP link and selecting "Save Link As"?

Selecting "Open link in new tab" is enough, no need to download anything.

16 minutes ago, dmslr said:

Selecting "Open link in new tab" is enough, no need to download anything.

Shit, you are a better person than I. I swear I tried "open link in new tab" before, maybe a month ago, and it didn't do anything. But I just tried it, and yeah, that works as well. Instantly downloads the .zip as usual.

I've just been using "save link as" which downloads the file, but adds the step of telling Chrome to keep the file. Listen to dmslr on this one folks; it deletes a step from the process.

6 hours ago, Jello said:

I'll leave it up to the folks that maintain iDgames and Doomworld to comment on the feasibility of migrating from FTP

I cannot comment on the third-party mirrors of which some support only FTP, others HTTP or both. But Gamers.org has supported HTTP browsing of the archive for a long time too, as noted in that list. It's just not the primary protocol for our file archives.

It keeps amazing me how some get their panties in a bunch over this repeatedly, when the mirrors list provides enough choice for everyone and for every taste of download tool...

Edited by Xymph