Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Somniac

New map - Relay Station

Name: Relay Station 
Map format: Doom (UDMF)
Ports tested: GZDoom, Zandronum
Replaces: Doom II MAP01
Music: Demonstar MAP05 by Bobby Prince (remastered by me for extra punch)
Gameplay: Single play

Difficulty levels: built for UV
Build time: Approx. 2 weeks
Textures/resources: Lots of new textures

Its me again, back with my third map. Its a short and sweet techbase level, and my first time mapping in UDMF with Ultimate Doom Builder. While making this I tried to imagine where it might slot into a Doom II mapset or episode (something I might want to attempt in the future) as an early-midgame level, so there are no bosses, Barons or Archviles and only a handful of higher tier enemies. Its a fairly small map, but with a pretty decent monster count. I've tried to make a conscious effort to make the level design more dynamic and interesting with things like height variation, and I think it looks and plays a lot better than my previous maps as a result. 

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210330_144324.png.b99f227e0034d1b99fd8fd90e9d4cbbd.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210330_144430.png.14d4e4f1758587f9c4006909a4f58748.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210330_144529.png.dc41870706ebc15c92c2a9969fdba912.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210330_144641.png.b56aad786ed152fdabf760d40d44bec4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210330_144850.png.8ba41ddd0ca4e1703aac9b7abc66be03.png

I did most of my testing for this in Beautiful Doom, so I'd recommend that on UV (with fast monsters on to up the ante if you want), but obviously feel free to use whatever mods you like, or none at all if that's your thing. Enjoy! Looking forward to your feedback as always. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3yl340vjeysqn2/Relay.wad?dl=0

New version 30/03: 

Fixed problem linedef, visual polish and slight monster adjustment.

New version 31/03:

Very minor visual tweaks here and there

Edited by VisionThing

It's a fun little map, fam. Combat's got a few spicy moments, progression is lovely and your texture work is solid. One nitpick I do have is that map seemed a bit too big and empty at some points. Some more fleshed out designs in your room layouts, use of props/landmarks and some more experimentation with different shapes in the walls and floors and such can go a long way to making your map more memorable. Otherwise, you're on the right track. ;^)

Edited by Biodegradable

I love short maps! This was fun just run through and get er done good times - constant monsters to shoot in the FACE

PS I forgot I had a rocket launcher as I always do - I just have too much fun with the SSG

Hi! I like the map, had fun with it! I've got a few points of criticism in the video below, but I hope you keep making stuff and uploading it, I think your stuff shows a lot of potential!

Good map, but you have one easy but major thing to fix, the platform down the stairs (Tag 4) does not have the "repeatable action" option selected on either side of the lift. When i gave the map a try I decided to to let a few demons follow me back up the lift to clear them more easily, when I went back to the lift i was just stuck there since the life would no longer let me to to go down again.

Thanks for your comments and criticism as always! I've done a brief polish, such as fixing the mentioned linedef, expanded an area slightly, added/adjusted some monsters, added a new secret and made the existing secret a tiny bit more of a puzzle - should be nice and evident anyway.

I also added better screenshots to the OP, and changed the map name as I decided I wasn't happy with the original title. 

Enjoy!

Wish I could play this good-looking WAD, but it seems the Dropbox link was deleted :(

24 minutes ago, Origamyde said:

Wish I could play this good-looking WAD, but it seems the Dropbox link was deleted :(

Good spot, it should work now!

That was a fun map !

Quite short and weirdly agenced in terms of enemy placement (you often get this feeling going around vast rooms, which might contrast with the claustrophobic-inducing interiors), but nonetheless super cool :O

Can't wait to see your next maps ! :)

Power Distribution

Ultra-Violence || BeautifulDoom

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210330-094230.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210330-094357.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210330-094444.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210330-094721.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210330-094942.png

IMG-20210330-095138-767.jpg

A short map, but quite entertaining, all the structure used here is really good, as well as some area with well-elaborated architecture, and without many details, I mean, everything looks good despite using some basic textures, but the truth is not that It bothers me at all, and as for the fighting, I really liked the fighting, the enemies were not many and that made the fights short but just as entertaining, from start to finish, from Hitscanners to enemies like the Arachnatrons and Mancubus, all this implied danger, but I was already prepared for the battle, so I took care of all those bastards, although unfortunately I left 2 alive because the elevator where the floor was below, no longer allowed me to go down, which I don't know why, but that it was no longer of much importance to me anyway. Great job with this map, and I really had a great time here, to see what other maps you bring for the future, mate.

I had a good time with this map! There's a decent variety of encounter scenarios with a good mix of early~midgame enemies, a couple of interesting arenas, and overall a quick but not frantic pace. The supply situation is pretty balanced—I felt I couldn't afford too many misses with the shotgun, but in the last couple of encounters you're a bit more generous with the supplies.

Good fun this one; there is a minor bug though - in the area in @ElPadrecitoCholo's 4th screenshot above, the imp behind the window on the left (close up below) can scratch you through the window, even though his fireballs can't penetrate it. Might need to put a 'block everything' flag on that linedef. Otherwise a really nice short map!

Screenshot from 2021-03-30 21-39-47.jpg

I love the texture set you're using here - it gives a great alternative look to a techbase :) I agree with the comments above that the rooms are disconcertingly large, but better that than too small - scale takes a while to get used to in Doom editing and I'm still not 100% on it myself. Otherwise this is really pleasant to look at and plays well :) Maybe you could also use a new texture for the very wide doors so it doesn't look like two doors side by side.

2 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

Good fun this one; there is a minor bug though - in the area in @ElPadrecitoCholo's 4th screenshot above, the imp behind the window on the left (close up below) can scratch you through the window, even though his fireballs can't penetrate it. Might need to put a 'block everything' flag on that linedef. Otherwise a really nice short map!

Screenshot from 2021-03-30 21-39-47.jpg

That is quite interesting, curiously, in certain maps that I have played before, I had also encountered this error that you say, where there is something that blocks the enemy and the Marine in between, and when the Marine tries to approach the enemy, Despite having something that is blocking the medium, the enemy can hurt the Marine as if there were nothing, although this is only affected in Melee, because as you have said, in ranged attacks if it is blocked by the object that is in through.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback everyone! Glad to see I must be doing something right :p

I just did some very minor visual tweaking again but nothing serious, so I guess I can call this one done.

5 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Thanks so much for the positive feedback everyone! Glad to see I must be doing something right :p

I just did some very minor visual tweaking again but nothing serious, so I guess I can call this one done.

congratulations, that means you've done a great job mate.

This was a fun Doom WAD to play, and I even reviewed it in this video I made. However, I had a problem with one of the lifts as I addressed around 18:30 to 19:12. I'm aware you said you made some updates, but when I downloaded the file from the Dropbox link, I still had that problem. Did you forget to update the file or link, or am I missing something? Either way, this is still a great Doom WAD to play.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:56 PM, NiTROACTiVE said:

This was a fun Doom WAD to play, and I even reviewed it in this video I made. However, I had a problem with one of the lifts as I addressed around 18:30 to 19:12. I'm aware you said you made some updates, but when I downloaded the file from the Dropbox link, I still had that problem. Did you forget to update the file or link, or am I missing something? Either way, this is still a great Doom WAD to play.

Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out!

4 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out!

You're welcome, but when I try to download it from the link, it now it says the file was deleted. Did you reupload it as a new file? If so, then you should update the thread with the new link.

11 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

You're welcome, but when I try to download it from the link, it now it says the file was deleted. Did you reupload it as a new file? If so, then you should update the thread with the new link.

My bad, yes I did. Fixed again!