Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Killer5

The Event Horizon - single hard boom map (idgames)

Changed link to a hotfix version to fix lowering ceiling sounds which are not where they should be on map03.

3 hours ago, Catpho said:

cool, welcome back :)

Is this normal hard or zzul hard?

I like that we have to specify something as "zzul hard", lol.

Wow, a Zzul map which I can beat! Played map 1 so far and it's a very inspiring stuff. Monster count on later maps is a bit menacing though...  

Here's a sloppy demo of map 1: zzul_map1.zip

Video:

Spoiler

... and now map 2 as well: zzul_map2.zip

Found an sr50 jump to the mega near YSK, so av jump is not required. Saves a couple of medikits I guess

Edited by El Inferno : map 2 is done

On 4/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, Meowgi said:

Sweet!

Oh how naive I was. Below is a picture of me playing Map03:

so_its_like_that.png

Really enjoyed playing through the maps.

Map01 and Map02 had a good flow to them and I was able to max them on the first playthrough without any issues.

Map03 had a good difficulty to it on UV and it really shines on subsequent playthroughs.

Regarding Map03:

The large fight took me quite a few attempts and the cyber gauntlet is something I won't be able to do without saving but that's fair since it's a zzul map. 

The imp fight took me a while since I didn't figure out the gimmick for quite some time. Maybe you could put an appropriate hint somewhere in that arena.

Also I ended up having to check one of the secrets in Doom Builder to max it. I'm sure you know which one it was. ;)

Thanks for the demos and everyone who played the wad.

Spoiler

The imp fight took me a while since I didn't figure out the gimmick for quite some time. Maybe you could put an appropriate hint somewhere in that arena.

This is something I was back and forth on. I decided that this map was not going to be fda friendly at all/not hand holdy on uv - sort of a throwback to games I used to learn via trial and error when I was kid (ninja gaiden, contra, etc). This infinite spawn gimmick is absent on the lower difficulties for people who don't want to have to deal with the rest of the nonsense in the map - so I am not bothered.

3 minutes ago, Killer5 said:

This infinite spawn gimmick is absent on the lower difficulties

I played map 3 on HMP and the infinite imp gimmick was present, I think. That fight was the hardest for me, mainly because I'm bad at pressing those switches quickly enough. Say, the caco+cyber fight in the same area was very easy compared to this fight. 

Spoiler

I also had to use editor to find that tiny step secret. It's not your tipical tiny shootable switch and it makes it pretty hard to find. 

But I enjoyed searching for all other secrets, including non-tagged ones (I had 54/55 items by the end). Thanks for making these maps. 

That is definitely a bug then. Those imps are not supposed to be present on difficulties below uv. Thanks for letting me know.

Loved map03, but I thought the conditions on getting to the yellow skull key switch were too harsh.

Spoiler

Played through a few times and it seems need to do some extremely cryptic puzzles in exactly the correct order at exactly the right time otherwise it's not possible to access the final encounters. I killed all the archies and now I can't complete the map without starting again for the third time. Have the key and cannot use it :(