Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albertoni

PhilosoDOOM: Cogito, ergo Doom

The book titles were hilarious. Oh yeah, you probably should've slept before you typed out the ending text. Just a suggestion.

Thanks everyone, specially @Biodegradable for the video. Loved it! And yeah, the questions are intentionally open-ended. Oh, and mu is an eastern philosophy term that essentially unasks the question because it does not make sense.

6 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

The book titles were hilarious. Oh yeah, you probably should've slept before you typed out the ending text. Just a suggestion.

It's a reference to some old NES game with an atrocious translation, forgot exactly which lol

9 hours ago, Albertoni said:

It's a reference to some old NES game with an atrocious translation, forgot exactly which lol

Probably most of them

Albertoni, this was quite fun (and funny) to go through. I really appreciated the liminal space after the barrage of philosophy 101, and the suggested reading section was a hoot, good times

<- Philosophy

<- Doom

Cacoward recipient right there.

Reminds me of The Revenant Problem:

Spoiler

The imp is a fictional creature, but the sprite of an imp is a real artwork. Therefore, the sprite is more real.

Is it an imp or the sprite of an imp? It doesn't matter, we can't interact with it anyway, so we're gonna get 0% kill regardless. Though I suppose if you use a port that has a monster counter you can tell. The previous room has an imp (which should count as a monster) and a sprite of an imp (which shouldn't), so if you have 1 monster the second room only contains a sprite, while if you have two monsters it's an actual imp.

The cyberdemon question on the next map can be answered the same way, the marine shouldn't count as a monster but the cybie does.

Theseus' marine is easy to answer, because a marine is not just his health, he's also his armor, weapons, and ammo. Also how can you be sure you've removed all of his original hit points? If you bring him done to 0, he dies and cannot be healed anymore. So there's always the possibility that one of his original points has remained throughout, and that he instead lost some he got back through healing.

If one of the imp's multiple personalities is not a pacifist, then the imp, has a aggregate of its multiple personalities, is not fully a pacifist.

The imp speaks a language that only he understands. Okay. But that does not mean that, even if we shared the imp's knowledge of his language, this language would be coherent. It can be an incoherent language that only the imp understands. Or it can be a coherent language.  There's no way for us to know. Gonna go with incoherent because imp language is just random selection of one out of three idle sounds.

Ah, the famous dream of the butterfly.

Once upon a time, I, Zhuangzi, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Zhuangzi. Soon I awakened, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things."

There is no answer to give, however.

The next is Buridan's ass. The real answer is that since both marines are at exactly the same distance, the imp will never be able to decide which one to kill, so both will get to survive (as long as neither moves).

The spider mastermind knows every knowable truth. But this assertion does not preclude the existence of unknowable truths. This is where we diverge from philosophy and enter into maths (both disciplines are actually closely tied). Gödel and friends have demonstrated that it's impossible to actually know all truths.

Penultimate question would require defining what you mean by "use". Actually the question we can answer is the opposite: can we know we're not using the BFG in the same way as everyone else?" yes.

And lastly: probably not, but maybe for one player out there?

12 hours ago, Albertoni said:

Ghostbuster

Thanks again, everyone, specially @Helm for doing a video with some philosophical chops to argue a bit. Really, really appreciated. I'm glad you liked the music, I really felt that it fit the dreamy mood of the last level. And I'd say that yes, since Wittgenstein there has been progress. People are still working on things, even if you'd personally claim they are minor.

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Reminds me of The Revenant Problem:

Which is also why I didn't put the trolley problem in, I really don't think I could make it justice after what Revenant100 made lol

2 hours ago, Gez said:

The imp is a fictional creature, but the sprite of an imp is a real artwork. Therefore, the sprite is more real.

Uh. I've never heard that point before and I quite like it.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Gödel and friends have demonstrated that it's impossible to actually know all truths.

Ah, but only for a complete system! For a system that doesn't explain everything, you can know all truths in that system. Still, thanks for doing such a thorough review.

I'm glad you enjoyed. 

Progress presupposes some sort of linear path towards... something? If we think of progress some other way, like unlocking more space (sideways, up... down, kind of like a hub map) for philosophy to chew through, connect, syncretize and synthesize as-a-worthwhile-end-in-itself, then yes, from that structural perspective there is constant progress.

And then there's the post-modern perspective from which all of the terms in the above sentences have a historic meaning and meant something different yesterday (or a thousand years ago) and will mean something new tomorrow, so, *information* - regardless how unparsable it is - is constantly getting generated even if it doesn't have a forward historic thrust exactly, and it's up to us to look at that information critically. I guess that's why the pomo perspective can be so paralyzing for a lot of minds.

The way I took your final question from your text (tee hee) is more of the 'we're gonna definitely get SOMEWHERE, we are still trying to get SOMEWHERE' kind of progress. That's why I mention politics, because, really, humans have been very philosophically studious. We've done the work (some could say Plato did the work thousands of years ago and we're all an addendum) and we've charted a lot of philosophical space. However, its most fertile and promising grounds (partaining to global, radical love, wholeness of spirit, obligation towards beauty and truth) cannot be practically reaped because we operate under capitalism and that limits our imaginary horizon to 'capitalist realism'. Once this system crumbles we can have another conversation about what sort of 'progress' there is now to make. Until then, the momentum necessarily is in the political and material realm. It won't be long, now, just another decade, max.

I also took a good look at your shrooms 2. It's lovely, I enjoy your point of view with these doom maps. I'll go through your stuff quietly in the background, I'm a fan, now :)

As I see it, going sideways might help reframe something and actually lead to progress, but I admit that's a very mathematical view. Definitely agree that's hard to pin down what's exactly progress since we don't know what we're going towards.

10 minutes ago, Helm said:

It's lovely, I enjoy your point of view with these doom maps. I'll go through your stuff quietly in the background, I'm a fan, now :)

Aaaaaaaa, thank you, thank you! Feel free to PM me any thoughts you might have.

Your mathematical / engineering focus is betrayed in your maps as well. It's good, don't take it as a slight. 

It's always fascinating to look at humanity like a bunch of systems, right? Because we note so many natural systems anyway, we scrutinize them with science and philosophy of science etc. But what is a system where every individual actor is sentient on impossible-to-scrutinize level, like, every single human (me, you) is completely unique internally, a product of completely singular circumstances and even with the benefit of generalization, every single one is producing original thought and emotion. There is no input and output to such a machine, but there is art, love, god, the void, revolution, horror etc, the real human stuff. If we choose to focus on all that good shit instead of, like, measuring our systemic properties. We will, though! Eventually!  

I'll reach out if I have any thoughts worth sharing! I hope you continue to make interesting things.