Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vaeros

AD MORTEM - a MBF21 Halloween-themed Megawad. [NEW UPDATE: Phase 2 is out!]

Recommended Posts

Happy to see this finally release.
I made MAP32 (originally intended as MAP14). It's, quite frankly, a pretty terrible map, which makes sense since I'm a literal amateur (this is my second published map), but I had a lot of fun working on it and this project in general, and I learned a lot from the experience. Happy early Halloween!

Share this post


Link to post

Apologizes, the old version of this wad will cause some problems in DSDA-Doom. Here's quick update of the wad. it will be updated in the original post so you can download it from there. 

 

Changelog V2:

Spoiler

 

-Map01: Textures glitches fixed.

-Map05: mistaken Intermission text removed.

-Map07: ''missing sky texture'' crashes and HoMs glitches are fixed.

-Map15: minor issues fixed.

-.txt Updated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I really, REALLY wanted to get a map done for this project, but it was not in the stars. Perhaps next time.

Since the palette was a bit harsh on the guns, I've made a truecolor .png patch which has the sprites for the guns unaffected by the new palette, this patch could be used with GzDoom, though mind that GzDoom doesn't actually fully support DEHEXTRA yet, so for the moment, this patch isn't strictly usable, but I figure Vaeros can put it into the opening post once it's there. But uh, maybe Eternity users could use it or something.

 

AM_TruColor.zip

 

The pistol was drawn by Ninlhil, by the way, I only put in the frames and added a muzzleflash. The rest of the guns have much more extensive work, the full credits of which you can find in this .wad file, and I think also the credits for Ad Mortem itself.

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't had the chance to play this very much yet, but I like the reskinned guns, and the rest looks cool too.

 

One small issue that I noticed is that when you fire your last two shells from the super shotgun, you still perform the reload animation and reload shells that you don't have before switching weapons. This is a bug in Boom (-cl9) and MBF (-cl11) with an unmodified Doom II SSG (see "super shotgun reloads when out of ammo" here, but is fixed in MBF21 (-cl21). Somehow it makes a comeback with the SSG in this wad. I'm using dsda-doom 0.21.3, in case it's relevant.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't even! It looks wonderful, gameplay is so thrilling and it's for Woof! The best Halloween surprise I've ever seen. 

Share this post


Link to post

Very glad to be a part of this project. Congratulations to all the contributors for their maps and assets, and thanks to all the patient anons over at /vr/ that tested the levels - we couldn't do it without good feedback.

Share this post


Link to post

Uses MBF21, so gets a pass by default. And then it also looks awesome as a byproduct. I love the usage of bright colors and edits in there.

 

Gosh @Vaeros i hate to give it to you but this also looks like something that should be mentioned at the Cacowards. Why are you lot making so much awesome stuff?

 

I also love how this targets the newer ports DSDA and Woof. This is truly a next-gen WAD experience taking advantage of new standards.

11 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Ihough mind that GzDoom doesn't actually fully support DEHEXTRA yet, so for the moment, this patch isn't strictly usable, but I figure Vaeros can put it into the opening post once it's there. But uh, maybe Eternity users could use it or something.

GZDoom has full support for DEHEXTRA since version 4.6.0.

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

But uh, maybe Eternity users could use it or something.

Eternity doesn't support UMAPINFO, though.

 

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

GZDoom has full support for DEHEXTRA since version 4.6.0.

Its handling of MBF21 features however is extremely broken still, even in recent devbuilds.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I really, REALLY wanted to get a map done for this project, but it was not in the stars. Perhaps next time.

Since the palette was a bit harsh on the guns, I've made a truecolor .png patch which has the sprites for the guns unaffected by the new palette, this patch could be used with GzDoom, though mind that GzDoom doesn't actually fully support DEHEXTRA yet, so for the moment, this patch isn't strictly usable, but I figure Vaeros can put it into the opening post once it's there. But uh, maybe Eternity users could use it or something.

 

AM_TruColor.zip

 

The pistol was drawn by Ninlhil, by the way, I only put in the frames and added a muzzleflash. The rest of the guns have much more extensive work, the full credits of which you can find in this .wad file, and I think also the credits for Ad Mortem itself.

 

Nice, thanks for the file. I'll post them in the OP and maybe I'll work with those sprites once again to fix the correct palettes, Sometimes slade acts really weird when it comes to converting sprites for some reason. lol

 

Also no worries man, I had the same exact problem with my two maps for this project but I went busy working on the graphics and other stuff. 

Since this is just a public beta release, you can still continue to finish your map and contact with me here or my e-mail anytime just if you want to (also i'm sorry if i didn't reply you back there, my message wasn't sent for some reason.. I hate gmail). I still wanna work out my own maps for this project too.

 

Keep in mind i'll upload the wad on /idgames when it's fully Finished. Possibly it will be -finally- done in the next spooky month of the next year... I wanna ask /vr/ next time if they're interested to make more maps for it or not. 

 

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Gosh @Vaeros i hate to give it to you but this also looks like something that should be mentioned at the Cacowards. Why are you lot making so much awesome stuff?

 

Thanks! i'm very glad you're enjoying it so far.

This is my first time managing a project like this and i'm so happy getting positive reception of it. I'd prefer give all the credit to /vr/ for helping me and making such very good maps. Honestly, a lot of stuff were planned for this project but didn't make it in this release for lots of reasons. I wanted to add my own reskinned sprites for some enemies and other stuff but I needed to release this project in two months especially for this special holiday. However I'll keep updating it, more new stuff will come so stay tuned!

 

11 hours ago, Shepardus said:

I haven't had the chance to play this very much yet, but I like the reskinned guns, and the rest looks cool too.

 

One small issue that I noticed is that when you fire your last two shells from the super shotgun, you still perform the reload animation and reload shells that you don't have before switching weapons. This is a bug in Boom (-cl9) and MBF (-cl11) with an unmodified Doom II SSG (see "super shotgun reloads when out of ammo" here, but is fixed in MBF21 (-cl21). Somehow it makes a comeback with the SSG in this wad. I'm using dsda-doom 0.21.3, in case it's relevant.

 

Hmm... Interesting find. 

I didn't noticed this before but it could something related with the DeHacked and the animation frames?

 

@punch you in the face man , What do you think?

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Vaeros said:

What do you think?

Right now I'm assuming it's because the SSG doesn't use the codepointers from the original. All that those do is play sounds (and I guess perform that ammo check from vanilla) but this gun just plays one continuous sound. I'm planning another update to the DeHackEd so I'll look into it, no promises though because the SSG has been a point of frustration with how non-ZDoom ports play weapon sounds.

Also once the DeHackEd is basically final I plan to release my DecoHack source code for people to sample if they like the monsters or other things and want to use them as a base for their own projects. I figure this is one of the first projects to really rely on it and sharing what I've learned might help people (not that my code is that well written). Shoutout to MTrop for his work on DecoHack.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I also love how this targets the newer ports DSDA and Woof. This is truly a next-gen WAD experience taking advantage of new standards.

GZDoom has full support for DEHEXTRA since version 4.6.0.

Considering that the weapons and monsters break in GzDoom 4.7.1 (such as the pistol not actually shooting), I don't agree with that.

 

6 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

Eternity doesn't support UMAPINFO, though.

Oh right, I forgot that was still in the process of being implemented.

 

41 minutes ago, Vaeros said:

Sometimes slade acts really weird when it comes to converting sprites for some reason. lol

Slade generally behaves for me when it comes to converting sprites, but when it comes to converting graphics into flats, often they come out as an unknown lump, and once this happens I've gotta plain close the program and boot it up again, because it will not stop doing this by that point. This leads to me saving the .wad file before converting every single flat.

 

41 minutes ago, Vaeros said:

Since this is just a public beta release, you can still continue to finish your map and contact with me here or my e-mail anytime just if you want to.

I still wanna work out my own maps for this project too.

Well, uh, I sent you an e-mail, make sure to check your inbox.

 

41 minutes ago, Vaeros said:

Keep in mind i'll upload the wad on /idgames when it's fully Finished. Possibly it will be -finally- done in the next spooky month of the next year... I wanna ask /vr/ next time if they're interested to make more maps for it or not. 

Woah, well if you're interested in THAT long of a scope, then by God, I can provide a lot more assistance, I should be getting new glasses in a week or so, so by then I should be able to actually see something again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Considering that the weapons and monsters break in GzDoom 4.7.1 (such as the pistol not actually shooting), I don't agree with that.

Its literally in the readme. Perhaps you mean MBF21 instead?

Share this post


Link to post

Though I am not the most technically minded, I am going to assume that since it's a matter of the weapons and monsters being written in DEHEXTRA, and them not working properly in GzDoom 4.7.1, while the new functionalities and fixes in the MBF21 map format seemingly work fine, that yes, the issue must lie in GzDoom's current implementation of DEHEXTRA.

If I'm incorrect about that, do correct me.

 

EDIT: Yeah, egg on my face, I mixed up DEHEXTRA with DSDEHACKED.

Edited by ChopBlock223

Share this post


Link to post

Oh hey, I've been following this thread on /vr/ and been wanting to play this for months now

Nice, congrants on the beta, hope it's a release soon!

Share this post


Link to post

Hope you guys had a nice Halloween day yesterday.

Well... I did, I was wasted af and now dealing with a terrible hangover. lol

 

Anyways, here's a new update! (New download link in the OP)

 

Changelog v3:

Spoiler


-New Titlepic midi "Tricks n' treats'' by SynDoom added.


-MAP02:
*Savegames that causes crashes in DSDA-Doom and other issues are probably fixed.
-MAP03: 
*Removed the upper textures on a self-referencing sector behind a portcullis that only sometimes rendered, hopefully whatever caused them to show up doesn't result in a HOM now.
-MAP07:
*format mistakes fixed.
*Added co-op spawns and Deathmatch mode to the map.

 

-.txt/Credits Updated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Vaeros said:

-MAP02:

*Savegames that causes crashes in DSDA-Doom

How exactly did you fix this? 

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, fabian said:

How exactly did you fix this? 

according to a post in the thread, apparently the issue had to do with some weird use of pushers and changing them to scrollers fixed the issue

Edited by LunaticRedEyes1

Share this post


Link to post

Looking at the third screenshot. Is this slaughter?  cause it looks pretty cool but I suck at slaughter, well I shouldn't say suck but map after map of absolute chaos is...meh

Share this post


Link to post

Played it yesterday, what a blast! I got to MAP03 myself and have enjoyed every minute of it! Gotta give props to the team, this was a great way to send off the spooky season. 👻

Share this post


Link to post

This looks absolutely fantastic. Cant wait to give this a spin. 

The pumpkin monsters (or at least I assume they are) look absolutely adorable btw. 

 

P.S. Just an FYI....a megawad is a term generally used for 32 map wads. This would be classified as a map-pack then I guess. 

(Sorry just had to put that out there :p )

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

P.S. Just an FYI....a megawad is a term generally used for 32 map wads. This would be classified as a map-pack then I guess. 

(Sorry just had to put that out there :p )

Nope, by the idgames definition a megawad only needs at least 15 maps, and Ad Mortem fits that definition.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, LunaticRedEyes1 said:

Nope, by the idgames definition a megawad only needs at least 15 maps, and Ad Mortem fits that definition.

 

Ah I didn't know that...all 32-level maps I've seen are always labelled as megawads, so assumed that was the case by-and-large. 

Well, I feel sheepish now. Sorry for the misinformation.

Share this post


Link to post

Finished this set earlier - great stuff in here, very thematic and some maps were especially inventive.  Thank you for making this!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×