Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

DETH (revived) - 4.31

Pretty cool of you to help preserve and even inject a bit of life into an old legacy level editor, Gibb. Also the little memorial for Jim, Ty and Dr Sleep is a nice touch. :^)

Interesting, defintly going to follow this. Are certain limits that plagued the old Deth going to be increased in order to support larger maps like Doombuilder and others can do ??

2 hours ago, Apprentice said:

Interesting, defintly going to follow this. Are certain limits that plagued the old Deth going to be increased in order to support larger maps like Doombuilder and others can do ??

I can definitely go above that.  Since DETH is already a 32bit DJGPP program, increasing them will likely require more memory, I’m shooting for 32MB as a default minimum, similar to my DOOM128 stuff.

I would say though that about 30000 vertices would be ok, since even okuplok has only around 20k

I will do some testing to see where the DOS limit is (memory) and then bring it down a few 0000’s from there so it’s stable.

EDIT: Do you have any maps where this limit is reached on the first level?  I've tried a few but can't find a decent set that reliably surpasses it.

Ok @Apprentice - I have actually removed that limit.  The original limit was restricted to sizeof(struct Vertex).  So I instead did a sizeof(NumVertex).  Basically, any map that is opened, it will allow the display of that map with however many vertexes the map has.  Which removes this limit now.

I've added some proof :P Deus Vult, MAP05.  Here is an attached experimental binary containing the change:

DETH.EXE_experimental.zip

And a screeny :)

Spoiler

428162277_Screenshot2022-05-08at14_54_16.png.6e10b5f98695e2e208f33e08c2e803a7.png

Edited by Gibbon

This is amazing work.  I think I made some of my early fooling around levels with DETH, including a prototype CTF level.