Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I can't open a WAD as a normal user under win2k. [or newer Windows]

Hello!

I've got a problem.

I can open a WAD with XWE by double-clicking it.
That works under WIN98SE and also under Win2k, when i'm logged in as administrator.
But when i'm logged in under win2k as a normal user, XWE doesn't open the WAD, when i double-click it. Instead of that it gives me these two error messages:

First:

Failed to set data for "


... and then:

List index out of bounds (0)


Is there a way to solve this problem?

Greetings
Funduke

Share this post


Link to post

Are you using the latest version? After you get the error messages, does XWE still open? If it does, can you open files from the File menu? Or can you at least create a new WAD file and work on those?

Share this post


Link to post
Csabo said:

Are you using the latest version?


I tried it with 1.25 and also 1.16.

After you get the error messages, does XWE still open?

Yes.

If it does, can you open files from the File menu?

I tried that and got that message:

Access violation at adress 00442F2 in module 'XWE.exe'. Read of adress 00000050.

Or can you at least create a new WAD file and work on those?


I tried that and got the Message:

List index out of bounds (3)


Greetings
Funduke

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe the directory XWE uses for temporary files doesn't have write access for the non-admin user? Sounds like a permissions problems to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Lobo said:

Maybe the directory XWE uses for temporary files doesn't have write access for the non-admin user? Sounds like a permissions problems to me...

How do i change that?

There is under
"View --> Options --> Card "General" --> "Temporary Folder"
A field, that has the Entry "C:\" in it, but always when i change that to another path , and quit the program, XWE has "C:\" again in that field. It does not change.

By the way: I've got an Dual-boot system: C:\ is FAT32 and the win2k is on E:\ with NTFS.

I tried to copy the XWE-Folder to a FAT-Partition and run the program from there, but that doesn't help.

Greetings
Funduke

Share this post


Link to post

When XWE reads the temp folder, it checks whether is exists. If it doesn't, it defaults it to C:\. As long as you set it to a valid folder (and one you have write access to as the regular user), it should stay. But it shouldn't be a problem even if it's stuck on C:\, it cleans up after each session.

I think the errors you are getting are because of registry permissions. XWE saves its stuff to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, to which you should have access. However, if file associations are turned on, it also tries to write to HKEY_CLASSES, that's probably where it fails.

I've put a few more try/finally's around the registry stuff, so please download the new beta from the above link once again. Open XWE, go to Options and set file associations to none - as an admin! Once that's done, you should be able to use it as a regular user. If you need help with manually associating WAD files with XWE, I can help you, it's pretty easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Csabo said:

I've put a few more try/finally's around the registry stuff, so please download the new beta from the above link once again. Open XWE, go to Options and set file associations to none - as an admin! Once that's done, you should be able to use it as a regular user. If you need help with manually associating WAD files with XWE, I can help you, it's pretty easy.


I did that.
After logging in as normal user again, a double-click on XWE.exe produced this message:

Failed to create key WADFile\shell\EditXWE.


I clicked on the "OK"-button, and then got this message:

List index out of bounds (0)


But the Wad Editor program was started.

The same happened, when i tried to open a Pwad from the Windows-Explorer by using the

"Open with..." entry in the context-menue.

Trying to open a Pwad via "File --> Open" from the XWE-menue
resulted with this error message:

List index out of bounds (3)


Accepting this message by clicking on the "OK"-button resulted with the program showing me the sandclock but not opening the Pwad.

I think i should mention, that opening the WADs as administrator still works pretty fine.

Some times i think, that Windows is a much more hellish game than DooM!

Greetings
Funduke

Share this post


Link to post

Download the latest beta from the above link. Open XWE.INI file and stick this somewhere (eg beginning or end)

(OPTIONS)
NOREGISTRY=1
NOMRU=1

The run XWE. It won't touch the registry or use the MRU (most recently used) list. This means options won't be saved, the settings will only work for that session. However you shouldn't see any error messages. Let me know how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Csabo said:

Download the latest beta from the above link. Open XWE.INI file and stick this somewhere (eg beginning or end)

(OPTIONS)
NOREGISTRY=1
NOMRU=1

The run XWE. It won't touch the registry or use the MRU (most recently used) list. This means options won't be saved, the settings will only work for that session. However you shouldn't see any error messages. Let me know how it goes.


That solved the problem!
It works! :)
A double-click on the WAD and XWE opens it.
And i am logged in as a normal Win2k-user!

Many thanks for the many work!

Greetings
Funduke

:D

Share this post


Link to post

It would be cool if you could test one more thing. Try setting each one back to zero (default), and see if it still works. Ie. change the NOMRU=1 to NOMRU=0. If you don't get any error messages that way, then we perhaps don't need to disable that.

Share this post


Link to post
Csabo said:

It would be cool if you could test one more thing. Try setting each one back to zero (default), and see if it still works. Ie. change the NOMRU=1 to NOMRU=0. If you don't get any error messages that way, then we perhaps don't need to disable that.



Changing NOMRU=1 to NOMRU=0 didn't cause any problems.
A double click on a pwad opened it still with XWE.

NOMRU=1 causes the XWE.exe when i double-click it to lauch the XWE -Editor empty.
NOMRU=0 causes the XWE.exe when i double-click it to lauch the XWE -Editor with the last opened file.

But changing NOREGISTRY=1 to NOREGISTRY=0 caused this error message when double-clickung on a pwad-file:

Failed to create key WADfile\shell\EditXWE.


Double-clicking on the new XWE.exe caused the same message, and then after clicking on the "OK"-button once again the well-known message:

List index out of bounds (0)

At the same time the empty XWE-program was launched.
After accepting the second error message i tried again to open a pwad from the XWE "file --> open" menue. That caused again the previously encountered Message:

List index out of bounds (3)


Now i restored the xwe.ini with the
(OPTIONS)
NOREGISTRY=1
NOMRU=1

-lines. And everything was working fine again.

As a third thing, i deleted the "NOMRU=x" -line completely from the xwe.ini.
Double-clicks were still opening the pwad pretty fine with XWE.

Double -clicking the XWE.exe launched now XWE with the last time opened wad.

Giving back the "NOMRU=1" -line to the XWE.ini caused the XWE.exe to launch XWE empty when double-clicking it.


Okay, many thanks again. Please tell me, if there's something more to test.

Greetings
Funduke

Share this post


Link to post

I tried something more just for fun:
I used the setting
NOMRU=0
Then i opened a pwadwith xwe by double-clicking it.
Then i closed XWE.
Then i gave that pwad another name.
Then i lauched XWE by double-clicking XWE.exe. And it opened the Pwad, that was opened before the now renamed pwad was opened. <-- Huh, bad sentence, but you understand it...

Greetings
Funduke

Share this post


Link to post

NOMRU=0 or leaving that line out altogether will mean the same thing. XWE normally uses an MRU (most recently used) list, so it's convenient to re-open WAD files from the File menu, especially when you're copying stuff back and forth. Since we know this is NOT what's causing the error messages, you can leave this line out. Tomorrow if I have time I can try one more thing, which is to disable the file associations only, I suspect that this is where the errors are coming from. If disabling those are enough, then we're good, we can have options back.

Share this post


Link to post

I made the change mentioned in the above post. Please download the beta again from the same link and put this in your XWE.INI:

(OPTIONS)
NOFILEASSOCIATIONS=1

The other two settings you can either delete or just set them to =0 (same effect). Hopefully it will still run without displaying the error messages, if it does then we've pinpointed the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Csabo said:

I made the change mentioned in the above post. Please download the beta again from the same link and put this in your XWE.INI:

(OPTIONS)
NOFILEASSOCIATIONS=1

The other two settings you can either delete or just set them to =0 (same effect). Hopefully it will still run without displaying the error messages, if it does then we've pinpointed the problem.


It works.

NOFILEASSOCIATIONS=1
--> no problems.

NOFILEASSOCIATIONS=0
--> the usual error messages.

I use NOFILEASSOCIATIONS=1.

Greetings
Funduke

Share this post


Link to post

Download does not work... help please, i think i have an older version because in options there is nowhere i can put those stuff in. (The codes, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Spunkmeyer said:

Download does not work... help please, i think i have an older version because in options there is nowhere i can put those stuff in. (The codes, etc.)

Nevermind sorry, i selected Run As Administrator, to run it with my dad's profile to see if it works and it did.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0