Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Enjay

Enjay tosses a map off, (not rude). :-)

For the briefest of moments, Real Life (™) didn't have me by the balls this weekend. So instead of sitting staring at my monitor, I fired up DeePsea and started doodling.

With E1M7 in mind, I did something I haven't done for a very long time - a simple, vaguely episode1 syled map with no port specific features. I deliberately avoided any overly fancy architechture and any "modern" tricks (tempting though it was) and after 4-5 hours doodling, I had something I thought I might actually like to try playing.

I fired it up in Zdoom and it was reasonable, so I took another couple of hours and finished it off. It's nothing fancy, but if something with a bit of E1M7 feel and logic to it interests you - you can get it ay my site, on the downloads page.

The map is simple in its architectural style, but middle to bigish in size. I tried to make it fairly open, so most areas can be reached by at least 2 routes. The logic of the map is very similar to E1M7, and the difficulty setting is not much harder than the original Episode 1 maps (so pretty easy).

I think it's OK bug wise. It played fine in all the ports I tried, but I did just "toss it off" in a few hours (I usually take much longer with a map), so there could be something amiss.

I have been told by someone that the front page of my site can be very slow to load, and can mess things up. I would like as many people as possible to let me know if that is the case as I will remove some of the stuff if needs be.

If you are someone who has a problem with my page, here's the actual file location:

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/DL/njtoss17.zip

I have uploaded to "incoming" too so it should be available via 3darchives soon.

I like it. How come you didn't make it for DOOM? Since you didn't use any DOOM II stuff...

Thanks VolteFace. :-)

myk said:

I like it. How come you didn't make it for DOOM? Since you didn't use any DOOM II stuff...

Thanks again. It was as simple as I had DeePsea open in the Doom2 project when I started "doodling". When I realised it was going to be pretty Ep1 in style, I thought about making it for Doom, but I think more people have Doom2, judging by the "I can't play it" comments that usually crop up when someone releases a Doom 1 only map.

Good fun, just about the right amount of switches, etc. I made 98% kills in UV, about 32 minutes, first time through. Man, all of that done in a single day...wow.

that was a good map. I got all the secrets, but only 98% kills on UV. I actually had to play through it a few times to finish. great enemy palcement. I also liked the placement of barrels. the helped conserve ammo. very e1m7 in many respects, but also has its own unique qualities. great hommage.

Wow, this is a really good map! Very E1-like but much better. The enemy placement in this map is nearly perfect andit looks nice too. I only wish I could do maps as fast ( it took me about 100 hours to complete my first map, honestly).