Here are a couple of general suggestions, which could really apply to any level you're doing. Note that none of them are meant to alter gameplay in any way, just to modify the architecture to improve appearance:
Black Void said:
Rex: If you think that I shouldn't entirely change the level, then could you give me suggestions on anything that you would add for some architechture?
1. Look for long stretches of walls with uniform textures (your boo3.jpg could serve as an example). Break up the uniformity of the wall in a couple of ways: (a) create angles in the wall so it is not just a straight line, or (b) create "supports" using SUPPORT2, SUPPORT3, or METAL series textures. As a variation on the support thing, you can even create "street lamps" in this way.I'll post additional ideas as they occur to me.
2. Create sector height variations. In your wall (again, refer to boo3.jpg) you could create one or more ledges, which could either be used to place enemies (which could alter gameplay) or just for decoration.
3. In corridors, create recessed "supports", recessed computers (if that section of your map has a tech theme), overhead beams, light strips (with associated light beam sectors), and recessed carpeting. If your map has a hellish or gothic theme, your corridor can be lined on either side with recessed gutters of lava or blood, with the GSTFONT series of textures seeming to pour blood into the gutter.
4. In larger rooms add sectors to create overhangs, recessed carpeting, overhead "ductwork", recessed computers (or, in the case of hellish themed levels, evil faces), overhead computers, etc.
5. If it will not affect gameplay, make your pillars hexagonal instead of square. Likewise, for decorations such as evil faces, etc., curve the linedefs instead of always keeping them straight. Remember to align the textures.
6. If it will not affect the lighting that you intended for an area, insert recessed light strips into pillars.
7. If it will not affect gameplay, make a curving stairway instead of one with right angles. (Feel free to steal them from my maps.) This applies to corridors as well.
8. On ledges that the player must walk, make a riser or "lip" at the edge of the ledge. As an added decoration, add "clamps" to the riser. This can also be used when you have concrete pads for storage areas, nukage vats, etc.
We hate what we fear