Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ever since I finished Doom on Ultra-Violence, I always thought it would be neat to play as the enemies. You'd play as the enemy of your choice (the other enemies would still be active) and you'd try to hunt down the Doom Marine (with some nifty AI or perhaps another person). When you died, you'd be able to start as another enemy.
You'd be able to play in the calssic Doom levels or some levels of our choosing (and perhaps some Perfect Dark style challenges). I realize this would take some serious modification, but wouldn't it be cool?

Hmm.... This is not really a ...bad idea, but it would take some hard work to do, and I'm not really sure how much fun you would have as, lets say a lost soul, or an trooper...? Plus the marine would always keep kicking you ass...!

It's possible, but depending also on how ambitious you are. For a while I had the idea of a "PC" in which you are an Imp, but you pick up guns and stuff, the same weapons the doomguy uses. Limiting the player to the monster's attacks would be boring, and letting him use the standard weapons it possible, especially if you like DOOM's general playability. Using the Imp is probably the best choice, at least to start with, his human size and shape fit in naturally and looks better (unless you want to modify the engine a lot.) Making the Player enemies is possible even using just DeHackEd... you can make them fire BFG shots, rockets, anything, and even emulate an SSG by using two or three shotgun shot attacks together (each a frame of a duration of 1 or so, it even sounds kind of like the SSG) Making it a source engine mod all this becomes even easier (even without tweaking the code further.)

But when I was thinking about doing it I noticed the main thing was getting the sprites done; first an Imp wielding a weapon and possibly wearing an armor vest, and then each marine sprite of a different color and carrying the appropiate weapon, plus other decorations befitting a place inhabited by humans, as opposed to the stuff found in hellish places, like hanging corpses, disembodied gazing eyes, and whatnot. Whithout those graphic changes it would suck.

Hmm, I see your idea differs... it seems rather unwieldy (probably boring), but something like I mentioned would probably work out better.

IIRC there once was a source modification of ZDoom that let you play as any monsters. I think it was called Spice ZDoom or something.

Isnt someone making a mod where you play as a Baron? It's called Rampage DooM or something like that. Looks pretty good from what I saw.