Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lizardcommando

"Edu-tainment" related story

I've been wondering about it for a while, so here's my question: Has anyone here ever tried to incorporate their Doom Editing skills with school stuff?

For example, A while back (4-5 months ago, I think) I was doing a project for my World History class about the French Revolution. My teacher said to make a board game that should have facts and trivia about it. I thought to myself "Hey, maybe I can try and make a recreation of the storming of the Bastille Prison using Edge." I thought about it, but then I realized that I couldn't really do much with it on account my editing skills were crappy. I could make the weapons and gfx, but the level would look like shit. I don't exactly know how to script and have special sectors (swimmable water, 3D floors, etc). Anyways, so I scrapped the idea and just made a boardgame similar to Monopoly...

So, yeah... that's my little story of trying to use Doom as "edu-tainment". Anyone else have a similar story?

Well, if I could do high school over again, I'd sure as hell try!

I did make a quake level for a high school oral about holiday destinations... I made a resort and took screen shots of it for pictures and used them as photos of the resort. I even included a disco with a dancing fend (thanks to a cleverly timed screenshot!). That might sound strange, but I when absolutely nuts and made custom textures with a digital camera and my (limited) artistic ability. Turned out pretty darn well to... ‘cept I never bothered to explain why the photographer was always carrying around a shotgun :/

The only class I've had so far that incorporated any Doom editing knowledge was my CAD class, but there's hardly a resemblence. I have a class on video games next term, so maybe it'll come up there.

Little Faith said:

I've always dreamed about doing a TC based on the New Testament.

that's a pretty interesting idea. you should try it.

Ahh... and what's the Player sprite replacement, Jesus Christ?