Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Great single level wads?

I know there have been several threads on reccomended megawads, but I'd like to know: what do you think are some awesome wads that have only one level? It doesn't matter to me if they're vanilla or for any source port, as long as they're cool and have one level.

Some personal favourites:
CIC.wad
Wtrfront.wad
Mines.wad (by Jim Flynn)
Rigel1.wad
Trinity.wad
Seej.wad
Punisher.wad
Nuts.wad
Kaboom.wad
Aboosord.wad
Hltrsktr.wad

[EDIT]And several of Alex Parsons's maps, including ap_005.wad, ap_006.wad and ap_007.wad.[/EDIT]

DooM 1: (all vanilla)

uac_dead.wad
talpoida.wad
sapidusb.wad
jihad.wad
11getbfg.wad
barrel2.wad
evil_e.wad
deadbase.wad
opost21.wad
awp11f.wad
sludgfac.wad

DooM 2: (all vanilla unless said otherwise)

wtrfront.wad
rotgs.wad (ZDoom)
aniceday.wad
iloveyou.wad
ironhall.wad
go2kill.wad
ipray4u.wad
gotheway.wad
run4ever.wad
dothejob.wad
abigjob.wad
aday2die.wad
moon2000.wad
runbuddy.wad (port)
go2hell.wad (port)
ahellday.wad (Boom/ZDoom)
darkstar.wad (port)

Erik's Europa series

Sacrifice in Blood

Vrack

Vrack2 (though it suffers from an overabundance of cacodemons)

Darkstar (If you only want to play one Michael Krause wad make it this one)

Null Space

Ultimate DooMer said:

11getbfg.wad

You may wish to take a look at Biggest_.wad, which is an 8-map episode including 11getbfg as E1M3. It can be downloaded from here, if nowhere else.

Check out The DooMer's Recess for Great DooM releases of 2002 and of 2001. The site also has many other reviews.

Keep in mind that many of the wads reviewed are not single-level wads. But there are quite a few that are.

Fer Ultimate Doom:

Crossing Acheron (one o' the best WADs ever, IMO)
Aurora
1_on_1
Ambush
Mntfire.wad
Dead Base
And, of course, Enigmatic Complex, availible now!!! (hee hee)

I have a pseudo-list around here somewhere; I'll post 'em if I get the chance.

Speaking of Alberto Barsella's levels, did he ever finish any past Mntfire.wad?

RTDscout said:

Speaking of Alberto Barsella's levels, did he ever finish any past Mntfire.wad?

Unfortunately not. That and a lack of an invade3.wad really disappointed me all those years ago :)

Here's a couple of wads that must not be forgotten. They are sadly enough never mentioned very much, and deserves a bit of attention again. This being a good opportunity. Note that they are very different in style and gameplay.

Unconditional Elimination by Andy Badorek: ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/mirrors/ftp.cdrom.com/idgames/levels/doom2/v-z/zap28.zip

Selfish 3 by Paul Corfiatis: ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/selfish3.zip

Painful Evil by Tomi Rajala: ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/painevil.zip

Derelict by Philippe Lesire: ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/derelict.zip

Rocketeer by Qingshuo Wang: http://home13.inet.tele.dk/CNH/roketeer.zip

I wonder if the original poster (Draconio) intended for this thread to be an opportunity for people to p1mp their own levels. Heh.

uac_dead.wad
the RTC-3057 demo
Hell Hotel (or something like that, a cool wad on one of these weird CD packs, replaces E2M2 or was it E3M2? IIRC, E3M2)

tnt3, too boring end boss...

You should set the spiders to lesser health....

Wha? 3057 didn't suck. Although I got lost a time or two it's one of my favorite wads.

It had a lot of gameplay and action, and missions to complete before moving on. It also had a fair share of puzzles to solve and a world to explore. It had a lot of new graphics that were well done, and the introduction and scripts were fantastic.

Anyway, we could go the other way and say TNT2 and 3 suck because they have too much stuff. So much in fact that they lag out most computers, and on mine it takes 10 seconds to save or load. Or we could say it has too LITTLE stuff because almost nobody who's played (except you of course) can find enough health and ammo. And in some cases, too LONG gameplay. The spiders in TNT3 MAP02 had WAY too much health. All your beta testers told you to change it because it's boring once you learn the attack pattern, and they become easy to kill. I even gave you a line of code to change their health but you refused. >=/

Tormentor667 said:

RTC Demo sucks >:

Too much stuff, too short gametime, I don't like that...

Stuff meaning?
Short gametime? Well ofcourse, it's a demo. What did you expect?

Tormentor667 said:

RTC Demo sucks >:

Too much stuff, too short gametime, I don't like that...

You're an idiot. It's a demo, and for that reason, it is short. It's meant to give the player a small taste of things to come, get a feel for the mod. It is, however, a large download, but mainly because theres so much in the demo, which makes it all the more sweet. It wouldn't be much of a mod if it was a 2 or 3 mb wad, would it?

By the way, not everyone likes levels that don't seem to want to fucking end and lag the shit out of high-end systems. Yes, I'm talking about YOUR level, bucko. It does lag my system, and my system is no old piece of shit. The RTC Demo, however, runs smooth like greased lightning flying from Zeus' ass. Do you know how many times I play TNT3? Once. How many times have I played the RTC demo? At least 30 or so times, it's like a second nature to me now. Why did I do that? No, not because I'm on the team, because it's FUN. TNT3 was good once but then after that, it's worth nothing. Not to say TNT3 wasn't good, it was, but it just didn't give me a reason to come back for more.

So, before you go flaming works of art, make sure your doodles can compete.

Youse all need calm yourselves.

Hell Hotel was in the Maximum levels, from the Master levels Doom/Doom II expansion pack thingy. I'm usin' a lotta specs from Hell Hotel in Biohazard.

Grazza said:

CIC.wad

I have just managed to find the textfile for this wad in an old back-up, and have uploaded it to the archives - it is in /newstuff now. I think it's a great map (though not one you can speed through very fast), and there is also a very interesting fire texture that the author is happy for other people to use.