Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doompunk13

thinking about creating doom WADS

Alright i just went to barns and noble and they hooked me up with a book called Sams teach urself Game Programming....i was wondering if any of you have read it or seen it or heard about it b4....also ..people who have made WADS before ....is it hard...? lol jus wondering but i want to try to promise u that i will relese a WAD in the next ...2-3 months on a skool based WAD...DONT COPY THAT IDEA PLEASE

hmm, heh. Wow, a school, I think no one have ever been thinking of that for a doom map. * looks in idgames ftp's doom folder and find tons of school wads *

I haven't heard of that book before, but I do have Tricks of the Doom Gurus and 3D Game Alchemy, also by Sams.

code? You probably won't have to deal with any coding. I think it's easy, ya just draw sectors and change the heights and change the textures and ya move on to the next room.

Just download an editor and use the tutorial, which will probably come with the editor. You don't need to know any coding, unless your using scripts in ZDoom, which you don't need to worry about yet. However, learning a code or language is still a good idea. I'm currently working on "C". Doom editing involves drawing sectors (rooms and platforms and slime pools, etc), and customizing the sector's light level, floor/ceiling textures (technically called "flats") and height, and sector types such as flashing lights, or damage. Then, you can edit the sidedefs (walls) with custom textures, flags, and types. Then, you place the objects and monsters and items and player start/teleports. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

No, it ain't that hard, but before prepared for shit to not work for absolutely no reason.

Editing starts out real rough, but as time passes you eventually get the overall hang of what the heck you're doing and you start to make actual playable maps. I didn't use any books or whatever to help me out in my editing, I just posted on the editing forums a bunch, asking all kinds of questions about stuff and finding out stuff on my own, and looking at other levels in Deepsea, which btw is my editor of choice.

My first editor was an even older version of DEU (2.x or 3.x something) with no tutorial :)

The first editor I tried was WadEd, the biggest load of garbage I have ever used. It crashed almost every time I used it, especially when trying to make a column (made up of one sided lines), and just about gave up on map editing altogether. It took me several months (when I bought Heretic) to become interested enough to try map editing again. I tried several other editors before finally coming across DCK, which I still use today (later version though).