Seej
all of Sam Woodman's swXXXXX maps - swblstcs being a favorite of mine
T2
T_dunn02
Tantrum
TVR
ZapXX maybe

something to start with anyway...

While there are probably far better ones out there in a wide array, I simply can't resist but suggest E1style.

This map I'm working on, is shorter than Vrack2, nearly as hard, but not as jam-packed. :P

Edit: Nevermind. I think the shortness of my map is a bit misleading. It's about 15 minutes long already, and I'm only halfdone. ;P

Crusades.wad for original doom is a darn tough map set, and they are fairly short. Also any of Richard Wiles other work.

The Blind Alley maps have a high monster count, but tend to be mid size (10 minutes) more than short.

There were a ton of great maps mentioned earlier by Opulent/DEMOn.

Try some of my wads; Well, actually, a lot of my levels more made to attempt to rival quake 3 maps in architecture and tend to get pretty long, so...

If you want some, just say "Whiplash!"

Not to be a plug but people found Grind2 and Grind2X especially to be difficult. They're pretty small.

Your penis is a short hard level. LOLZ. You could probably beat that one in under 5 minutes!

Heh, I have like five or six short (somewhat) hard levels sitting on my hard drive. I don't suppose they count though, since I made them :P

The Chord series is really good, I especially like Chordg, the best of the series IMO. I wish the dude who did these levels would've stayed with Doom for a few more years, there would have been more of them :(