Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Converted Doomer's First Map

I would probably compliment you on the wad but i cant play it. It keeps crashing on me, and im using zdoom.

how strange... certain people can play my level on zdoom and for some people it crashes. Can you tell me the error message displayed when it crashed so I can fix it? for those whose systems keep crashing, you can try two things:

- Disable Open-GL, this level is so huge, it has its own zip code.
- increase the heapsize using pre-game commands...
ZDOOM: -heapsize ## (128 recommended)
LEGACY (if it works for you): -mb ## (128 recommended)
the increase in heapsize SHOULD allow you to save games.

Please tell me if it works or not, and if it doesn't, tell me what kind of error message are you getting so I can try and solve it. Thanks.

PS: As for the overwhelming enemy count, Earthquake, I will keep on piling more and more monsters for UV; it will be much, much different on HMP and below, there is room for everyone, I hope so.

You don't get it.
Skill 1 & 2 is overwhelming.

Thousands of monsters isn't fun, especially when I have 1000 dead ones laying in front of me lagging the fuck outta me.

I don't know what caused the crash, my system probably overloaded; I was getting 3-5 fps when it crashed. Might I add that my system is capable of handling alot and I've never had any problems with any other crashes. I can't recreate the crash now for some reason, nor do I want to.

as of now, every monster i put on the map has all three [easy medium difficult] flags placed on them, don't worry about the skill settings or lack of health or ammo, since I didn't bother to adjust or put them in yet. expect to spend several days, a dozen saves/loads, fighting off 4,000+ fuckers on UV, go ahead and protest.

the system I am running my wad on is a 2.0 ghz P4 with a 64mb radeon 7000 and 256 mb of system ram. its not the best system in the world but it kept the lag from overtaking the gameplay, saves too.

okay, since lots of people are cursing that attrition is destroying their computer hardware, ill wrap up the project with three more major fight rooms... I got 2,762 sidedefs left to spend before the 2^15 limit is hit.

Remember that your SEGS might/will go over the limit before your sidedefs do.

I didnt know what to copy but thats what it says when it crashes.

note by Erik:
mail this kind of stuff to Randy, noone else can read out anything relevant from it anyway.

OK, I ran several tests of Attrition on Zdoom and I do feel sorry for shortening the lifespan of all your video cards... but, I found this out...

You'd better have a decent comp for this map to run, but I'm just restating the obvious right?...

I have four networked computer, and ran my map individually through all four of them, using Zdoom 2.0.60, and here's what happened:

... P4 2.0 ghz, 256 RAM, 64mb Radeon 7000: ran flawlessly.
... P4 1.0 ghz Laptop, 256 RAM, 32mb unknown video card: ran.
... AMD-Athlon 700 mhz, 128 RAM, 16mb ATI Rage: ran at 3 FPS, later it crashed.
... P3 600 mhz, 128 RAM, 12mb Voodoo 3: Crashed instantly.

After running Attrition on Zdoom through my [total of] four computers, it is true that lesser systems will not support it, sadly. But hey, processing power doubles every 18 months right?

89% of all people have outdated computers.

I won't be playing it, so I don't have to worry.
Do what you want with your level. Do it for you, and not for anyone else.

Hi converterd DOOMER this is my error I hope u can help me I want to try ur mod ^_^ btw i cant even open it with wad author T_T

l_error
R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found!

Well the wad works fine now after i reinstalled zdoom (go figure). But anyway nice wad. If you want fun put it on nightmare with god mode on and infinite ammo.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Uh, how do you activate cheats in Nightmare? :P

In Zdoom open the consle and type in -sv_cheats true- without the lines. Then restart the game in nightmare difficulty.

This is the last update I will post for my attrition before the physical layout is done, check it out, even people who hates my wad will love the hell section, I guarantee it. just check it out, no, really, CHECK IT OUT. If you love the tower of barad-dur... check it out.

quake, just take a walk through my level with -nomonsters.
ragnew... you will find a BFG now ^_^.

1,784 sidedefs left to spend on the best part of my level...

DOWNLOAD HERE

Holy Sh!t Doomer,Attrition looks Better then it did a month ago when u showed it to me.Keep up the good job and hope ur map gets a good review.

I use this command to start up the game C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\prboom-2.2.4-win32\glboom.exe -pwad attrition

and it still only loads the normal level one

edit: just looked at it thru the doom builder 3d mode, it r0x

The amount of enemies made the gameplay seem unbearably slow to me. It took a very long time to move to a new scene, so I only played through about the first 7 hordes before quitting. From the amount of the map I played, I got the impression that it was fairly easy to lure monsters into killing eachother due to the order of monster types released in the swarms, which left me with surplus ammo nearly all of the time. Also, what I did play was pretty easy - difficulty produced by cleverly placed monsters and traps rather than swarms you can easily strafe around is better IMO - you can get the same or higher level of difficulty with probably about 1/40th the amount of monsters, and that way the gameplay is much less sluggish too. Doom's enemies aren't as suited to huge fights as, say, those in Serious Sam which are designed with specific roles in mind for large battles like these.

Apart from the first (for me, major) gameplay gripe, the level's aesthetics were very good and high above most first map standards from what I discerned from playing in Zdoom and flying around the map in Doom Builder.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

The amount of enemies made the gameplay seem unbearably slow to me. It took a very long time to move to a new scene, so I only played through about the first 7 hordes before quitting. From the amount of the map I played, I got the impression that it was fairly easy to lure monsters into killing eachother due to the order of monster types released in the swarms, which left me with surplus ammo nearly all of the time. Apart from the first (for me, major) gameplay gripe, the level's aesthetics were very good from what I discerned from playing in Zdoom and flying around the map in Doom Builder, and very high above most first map standards.

Can I make a suggestion?
Release two versions of the map: one, the way it is, and one, with 1/3 the enemies. Then make a poll on the forums, post the url to both versions, and have people vote on which they liked the best.

I think Quake has a good idea here Converted DooMer. It may be good to have a couple of different versions of this map. I for one, am a bigtime fan of the map the way it is. I love levels that have THOUSANDS of monsters in them. And your level makes it easy to deal with them... Plenty of ammo and more then enough space to do all the straffing you need... I'm getting ready to check out the newest beta of the map, and I can honestly say I'm very excited...

But again, it is a good idea Quake has, and I'm sure alot of people aren't into the massive monster counts that I like to deal with. So two versions of the level may not be a bad idea at all... Hmmm, maybe use the version with the lower monster count in Shadow Runners (I think thats the name) megawad, and have the KILLER, monster infested version as a stand alone. I dont know, maybe kind of a limited or special edition of the map?

I use this command to start up the game C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\prboom-2.2.4-win32\glboom.exe -pwad attrition

At this stage, I don't think PrBoom can handle my map. You should use Zdoom version 2.0.60 instead.

- difficulty produced by cleverly placed monsters and traps rather than swarms you can easily strafe around is better IMO -

Oooh, you shouldn't have quit after seven swarms of monsters, because the wooden area does a pretty good job (for the most part) of killing you with minimum enemies placed. Addressing this issue below...

Can I make a suggestion?
Release two versions of the map: one, the way it is, and one, with 1/3 the enemies. Then make a poll on the forums, post the url to both versions, and have people vote on which they liked the best.

Your suggestions coincide with my independent idea of doing the same thing. Yes, there will two versions of my map, since you're already familiar with my hardware-killing version A, I will give a rough idea of version B:

- Legacy compatible: The wooden area will be chopped off to save 5-7k of sidedefs.
- The enemies will be fewer, but better placed and more powerful.

this version B will probably be made after version A is in full form.

Converted DOOMer said:

Oooh, you shouldn't have quit after seven swarms of monsters, because the wooden area does a pretty good job (for the most part) of killing you with minimum enemies placed.

Sorry, I had considered the possibility of it changing further on when posting, but instead just chose to post my impressions of what I played in case there was 50 more swarms to play through and then the level exit.

EarthQuake said:

Can I make a suggestion?

Good idea.

Extracting to "D:\Doom2"
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: no
warning [D:\Program Files\Richard\AttritionBeta.zip]:  extra 1 bytes at beginning or within Zip file (attempting to process anyway)
Error in file #1:  bad Zip file offset (Error local header signature not found):  0
(attempting to re-compensate)
Extracting Ooohh it's so big!.txt
Extracting ATTRITION.wad
Error:  invalid compressed data to inflate
This is the error i got while extracting from the winzip file.

My zip extractor says that Attrition.wad is now password protected... :( - The zip unzips easily until it gets to the wadfile, then asks me to enter the password to continue with the extraction of the level itself.