Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Dear Shadowrunner

I think I do too many outdoor/cave maps. Maybe my imagination is somewhat limited, I'm not sure.
I usually look for inspiration from Tru3D (TM) levels and make something that is equally fun to play, even If I don't have room over rooms, realistic lighting, etc...
Alot of the ideas I get are from Half-Life or Quake levels... sometimes from Unreal or Unreal Tournament.

Erik said:

yeah, making megawads yourself is reserved for crazy people... uh... *looks around*

heh yeah! I'm currently working on a map for the megawad I started in '99. I have many maps that have been sitting around for years, not stuck or anything, just doing other things/maps. I'll usualy work on three maps or so at once, some brand new, some quite old.

Heh heh, tech maps have suddenly become hard for me because I have to make them realistic. I can't wait 'til I finish my current project so I can make Grimm's Canyon.

A Gothic map i havent tryed yet.But by hell im talking the lava and red and stuff, i cant map that stuff even if i tried making one,Knowing that would still involve tech stuff(D3m6).
But my strong map types Are
1.Tech
2.Cavern
3.Deathmatch(Expect one soon)
4.Underground
5.Wooden
6.Castles
7.Marble
8.Combining All of the Following
Correct me if im wrong but if i do make good maps to and they get good reviews would u reconsider your comments on God?

shadowrunner: if you want any of your "projects" (they really shouldn't be called projects, since all you do is write a blurb about it here and expect others to do it for you) is going to get done, you'll have to do it yourself.

I don't ever think I've asked for help on a project or level. I always do it myself, since no one else is ever interested or just because I want total control over what is being done.

Don't plan on doing a project where there is a part you know you can't complete because of lack of experience.
If someone comes along and is willing to help, then I guess that's good for you. Team mates are not a requirement for making a project. If you can do the entire project yourself, then it has a much better chance of getting done, especially if the theme of your mod isn't exactly popular...

However, don't get me wrong, there have been many great wads completed by multiple authors. It helps to personally know the persons, or at least be close friends with.

ReX said:

There have been rooms that have taken me several hours to make (usually spread over a few days). Granted they have been large and somewhat detailed rooms, but even a small room or corridor can take me upwards of an hour to create. A part of my problem is that I frequently play my map-in-progress to make sure I made the right sector, texture, flat, and lighting choices. I also take care of alignment right when a room or area is done, and then check the alignment in-game. All of this adds to the development time.

That's exactly what I do, and it's part of what makes mapping so tedious for me. I'll check my map just about every room/big group of sectors to make sure everything is perfect before I go on. Otherwise, I'd forget lots of small stuff if I were to run through the level only after I'd completed the whole thing.

And I'm also noticing the numerous people who say tech is the hardest for them to design. It's far and away my easiest. The fact that I can make them realistic makes it a lot easier for me to make because I can keep coming up with ideas. For caves, hell-themed, gothic, etc maps I always find myself stretching for ideas. And especially in caves, having to make so many jagged walls can be a pain in the ass too :P

Same here - I've really struggled at times when doing the gothic maps for SSD, whereas I'm far more comfortable with tech maps, as I can be more realistic with the design. (they're also my favourite type of map)

Erik said:

yeah, making megawads yourself is reserved for crazy people... uh... *looks around*

Yeah those people are nuts. :p