Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

RONE screenshots

Nick Perrin said:

vavoom is actually really sweet, but no one uses it. In a lot of ways its much more powerful than zdoom.

Its only advantages are 3D-floors and the lights. On the negative side there's an engine with a lot of serious problems which take all the fun from playing Doom. I most recently noticed that while playing Silent Steel. Generally I liked this WAD but I'm quite sure I won't play it ever again due to the source port being used.

Nick Perrin said:

To be honest, it looks like a block with a carry handle. A misshapen suitcase maybe?

Huh? You mean the fists with a crate in the background? Truly I didn't think someone could be wrong with it. But the green crate is a part of the map, whilte an open palm on the left, and a fist on the right are the weapons...

ellmo said:

Huh? You mean the fists with a crate in the background? Truly I didn't think someone could be wrong with it. But the green crate is a part of the map, whilte an open palm on the left, and a fist on the right are the weapons...

I guess, he was refering to the screen shot bellow that. The 'misshapen suitcase' isn't exactly the best looking weapon, indeed. The map design is really nice, though.

'misshapen suitcase' - great name for a weapon. :-D

Anyway I really don't like this side-view of the weapons. I don't understand why so many people think that this is the 'correct' position to hold a weapon. It's not. To aim properly you have to hold the weapon in front of you and that doesn't just apply to Doom, it's also true in real life!

Graf Zahl said:

Anyway I really don't like this side-view of the weapons. I don't understand why so many people think that this is the 'correct' position to hold a weapon. It's not. To aim properly you have to hold the weapon in front of you and that doesn't just apply to Doom, it's also true in real life!

Nice to see you use BOLD type (lol).

IMO there's nothing wrong with the "suitcase" weapon. Looks fine to me - I like it since it's different and interesting. Btw, you don't hold all weapons "in front of you". Whatever you actually mean by that - since of to the side is also in front and some weapons are shoulder launched (is that in front?).

Not only that, in actual combat training, you learn to shoot "from the hip" (depends on weapon of course). Vietnam was the start of realizing that staying alive was much more important than some artificial standard of where a weapon was supposed to be held. So they adapted training to "real life" world situations.

P.S. It's actually real easy to hit targets without formal "sighting" - as in most things, just a matter of training, skill and experience.

Graf Zahl said:

Yeah? Ever been trying to hold an assault rifle in front of you, so it's end is centered on your breast? I don't think this is the right position as it would definately break your ribs in no time. I don' lite weapon side view either, bot those weapons aren't side-viewed. I think this is the correct placement.

Thanks Ellmo
I'm tired of everyone calling our rifle a suitcase... However, just begun development on the BETA (beta means better!) assault rifle :-) I guess everything to satisfy the public, eh?

ellmo said:

Yeah? Ever been trying to hold an assault rifle in front of you, so it's end is centered on your breast? I don't think this is the right position as it would definately break your ribs in no time. I don' lite weapon side view either, bot those weapons aren't side-viewed. I think this is the correct placement.

I mean the standard issue one-handed side view made so pupular by Quake 2. I just don't like it very much.

deep said:

Nice to see you use BOLD type (lol).

But not one word in each sentence... :-P

Graf Zahl said:

But not one word in each sentence... :-P

Rationalizing an odd thing to say doesn't improve it any in the "real world" :-P

Graf Zahl said:

I mean the standard issue one-handed side view made so pupular by Quake 2. I just don't like it very much.

I agree. I also prefer the centered weapon in Unreal.
Though, the way Doom's rocketlauncher is held really wouldn't probably a good idea in real life.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Though, the way Doom's rocketlauncher is held really wouldn't probably a good idea in real life.

True, but putting it where it should be would not be very helpful in terms of gameplay.

May I remind that this thread is not titled "weapon placement on screen". If You don't have anything to say about the RONE screenshots-which is this topic-don't say anything.

sorry about calling the weapon a suitcase, it just didn't look very appealing to me.

but, like I said, everything looks kick-ass, i love the other guns and the maps, and if this game is what you say it'll be then i very much look forward to it(I've been waiting for a mod like this, something different.)