Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bryant robinson

Silent Hill Doom TC

I have been working on a Silent Hill TC for zdoom, Well....tinkering with the idea really. Seems I can do pretty much what can be done in the game: ambient sounds, skybox, dark atmosphere. But one thing I cant seem to do is that 'noise effect' seen in Silent Hill 3. That effect creates a more grainy look to add to the effect i'm trying to get. How would you create that effect with scripting? Thanks in advance for your help!

bryant

I think he means like static in from of the screen (also seen in Manhunt), and i duno how you'd do it in doom, would almost certinaly have to be zdoom scripting though, i cant imagine any way to do it in Deh or DDF, how about making several screen-sized images of grey pixels flying around (juse use the windows spraypaint), then animating them very fast over the display, at almost total transparency, so they are almost invisible..it might work

For intermittent "white noise" effect, you could set up a camera on an animated texture of the white noise, and have a script kick in at random intervals that will switch the view to the animated texture. However, I suspect that you're trying to have a permanent "white noise" overlay on the player's viewscreen. [I haven't played SH3, so I'm not quite sure of the effect to which you're referring.] One way was suggested by deathbringer, although I'm not familiar with a script that will permanently overlay a texture over the player's view screen. Another way might be to create your HUD in a way that includes the white noise in the view screen. Unfortunately, I don't know how you'd be able to insert an animated graphic into your HUD, nor how you would make the white noise random.

I know of this effect. I'm sure I can get it right.

Deathbringer's suggestion works. What you need to do is make about 10 frames of random dark-gray pixels at 320x200 resolution, with cyan as the transparent color. Then, with a script, use a scale HUD command to make sure the static stays at 320x200 regardless of screen res, and have it display the frames at perhaps 5 to 10% opacity, looping them endlessly. This will affect everything but the status bar.