Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

What do you regret making in your .wads?

if you play a wad of yours nowadays, do you ever see stuff you wish you did or did not put in???

Also do you think your wad took a wrong direction??? that sorta thing??

another one: are there any wads of yours that you wish you never made in the first place??

one last one: are there any wads that someone else made that you wish you made??

Haven't Had that problem yet... but I've a wad in progress so let's just see Foo...

im always having the above problems. but it'll take too long to go back and fix stuff, so i'll just leave stuff as it is.

There's undoubtedly some flaws in my XDoom maps as well as my remake of the E1M1 in the Doom Bible. I'll look into it and tell you.

if you play a wad of yours nowadays, do you ever see stuff you wish you did or did not put in???: In Doomos.wad, I wish I'd put Refire pointers on the two Desert Eagles and the Autocannon.

Also do you think your wad took a wrong direction??? that sorta thing??: I should never have gotten rid of Doomos's freeze gun (that will be fixed in my next mod though!)

another one: are there any wads of yours that you wish you never made in the first place??: Weasel's Weapons.

one last one: are there any wads that someone else made that you wish you made??: Xaser's Fury.

if you play a wad of yours nowadays, do you ever see stuff you wish you did or did not put in???: Pretty much everything more or less sucks when I look at my old wads (pre scythe2) nowadays.

Also do you think your wad took a wrong direction??? that sorta thing??: Not really no.

another one: are there any wads of yours that you wish you never made in the first place??: I guess not.

one last one: are there any wads that someone else made that you wish you made??: Pretty much everything good for doom2.exe and boom.

if you play a wad of yours nowadays, do you ever see stuff you wish you did or did not put in???

AV map24 doesn't look finished, and really isn't that polished.

No, i'm happy with the sp maps

another one: are there any wads of yours that you wish you never made in the first place??

xfire4, gimmicky dm map. There's more maps I wish I could finish.

one last one: are there any wads that someone else made that you wish you made??

tons, mostly medieval/castle themed maps where I haven't made anything cool yet.

yet...

Yes. Mostly it's just lack of detail, like a big blank wall, or some sort of odd texturing decision, or something worse, but I suppose that's part of maturing as a level editor or some shit like that.

Usually if I don't like an area or how something is going I end up deleting that area (or more) and starting over and I continue to do so until I'm happy with the area/map. I've never really made a section of map where I was unhappy with it but still left it in. So I guess the answer is yes, but I fix it.

god yes

Not really wads as a whole, I don't think I ever was that jealous of someone's work that I was like "man, I wish I made that instead of him", and normally when a map is really good I just admire it and will think something more along the lines of "man, I wish I was as good as this guy". However, I have seen ideas or neat tricks put into maps where I often find myself saying "I wish I'd thought of that" just because it's so cool.

Yes mostly some more original concepts and new graphics ofcourse. A lot of my old levels are rather generic, thus I seek a lot inspiration now.

I'm having this many times but only if I am mapping. After the work I'm pleased with how it turned out (i.e. If it survived mapper's block's strike on it while was in progress it must be somewhat good) wishing I could put more stuff is a different thing tough.

No.

D efinately [:P], like HelpYourSelfish or CH_Retro-I always wanted to make an E1 replacement.

Yes, I regret I didn't put the log system in Nimrod for instance. But mostly it's about how it lacks detail or how something don't align or shit like that. Codename hynea though. when I play that I just laugh.
But as Cyb said. It's growing as a mapper/designer. Usually I find my stuff be pretty weak and find alot of flaws all over in the design the moment I've finished it.

Not really.

No. I love them all. although some of the stuff is rather amusing.

OMFG yes. Aliens TC, batman Doom, Zan Zan and RTC 3057 to count a few of the hundred.

No.

No.

No.

Nope.

Nope. They were right at the time. I can do better now, but I was happy when I did them. No regrets. :-)

Nope, can't think of anything like that.

Nope, they were all made for fun and I had fun making them all. So even if no-one else enjoyed them, they served their purpose.

There are plenty of WADs that people have made where I thought "that was cool" or "that's clever" but I have never wished I had done it instead of them. Why would I? I quite often think I'd like my mapping skills to be up to the level of certain other people's. Anyway, if I experience really cool stuff as a player, then I get the full playing experience from the map as intended. If I'd made the map myself, I'd not have that "voyage of discovery".

Foofoo said:

In my case there were experiments that failed. The thing I regret somewhat is that those experiments took place in full public environment. I wouldn't do that today, but evolution and improvement is always essential.

Sometimes the maps gain an own life that just happens to develop into catastrophe. This is painful, and has happened.

Some of them required a too large investment of time and affection to be worth it.

No, what other people make is their business.

I rather dislike the state in which had Phocas Island when I released it. But that's just me.

My maps usually take a whole new direction, but that just makes me like the map much more.

I've only released three maps, so I suppose not. I really don't even regret releasing a map done while being drunk.

No. I just will play a map and think "I could never map as good as this". But that is mostly because I hate myself so much most of the time.

I regret even opening the level editor, and if possible, i regret even considering the idea of making a level. **

This is a pointless question .. everyone who's released anything they've created will have some regrets or things they wish they'd done differently. Doesn't matter if it's WADs or music or art or anything else.

If someone is totally 100% satisfied with something they've made, then it's either a revision of the original or they're full of themselves. :P

udderdude said:

This is a pointless question .. everyone who's released anything they've created will have some regrets or things they wish they'd done differently. Doesn't matter if it's WADs or music or art or anything else.

The original post had no mention of "released" at all.

Foofoo said:

in answering my own question, i'd have to say Action Doom. Why didn't i think of making a wad that takes the piss out of doom stuff earlier?

:D

I would say Grove as a wad I would have liked to have made, heh. And Batman Doom... except scale the sprites by 60% so batman isn't a midget, lord.

I've only truly released one wad, Action Doom, and there are alot of things I would have liked to added. Some of it could have been done, some probably not possible.

I really wanted to incorporate a hitpoint system. I think it may have been possible. Either 'A' An armor system where you grabbed some armor which allowed you to take X number of hits before the armor wore off, or 'b' a hit point system where the player can get hit 3 times, then they die and it reloads from the last save. I talked this over with Cyb at the time, and I think we came to agreement that it was too difficult to implement.

I also would have liked more endings. Especially an ending if you get Daisy to get sucked out the window... however because of Daisey's clipping problems, most of the time she gets stuck in the floor, so I never made the ending.

I also wished I had spent more time making my own artwork. True, the wad contains more original artwork than probably any wad of recent years, burt there are still a few textures and things I didn't draw. I probably should have spent a little longer and drawn my own versions of those 30 or so entries. This would have meant more time and a longer release date. And if it works don't fix it.

I really wanted a super secret level where you floated around in 0 gravity, and you had to use the recoil from your gun to shoot yourself around the ship. This however is just a little too much for Doom I believe, not only do no guns have a recoil, but this has never been attempted. Maybe with .64 I could rig a gun that fired the "Rocket launcher" from heretic that knocked you back, except not explode and just act like a pistol... still it sounds a little out of Doom's league.

I also wished I would have elisted Cyb's help in the beginning, I might have saved myself alot of trouble (since alot of the "scripted events" in AD don't use scripting, just level and dehacked tricks) and maybe incorporated some really unique stuff early on. Also, I wish I knew how to make slopes :/

Foofoo said:

Yes. More detail is possible.

Foofoo said:

do you think your wad took a wrong direction??? that sorta thing??

Nope.

Foofoo said:

are there any wads of yours that you wish you never made in the first place??

Not really. If somebody plays one of my first wads and one of my newer wads it shows how much I've improved.

Foofoo said:

are there any wads that someone else made that you wish you made??

Of course. I wish I made Scythe. :)

The only thing I regret was never releasing my Powerslave weapons mod, so it could be critiqued and enjoyed. I was actually very close to recreating the weapons exactly as they were in that game. Oh well, I've learned a little bit more since then, and I might try making this thing over with what I know now.