Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lüt

Best color coordination in WADs?

Something of an offshoot of Foofoo's thread, what are the maps which mix as many different colors or themes as possible into a single scene or series of scenes in a way you think works really well?

What an odd way to phrase a question.
I guess you want me to state the one wad that in my oppinion has the best theme of colour composition.

That is a hard question with a multilayered answer.
It's more than colour composition that makes a wad have a good theme.
Architecture and overall texture useage.

There can be very plain and utterly boring maps that have great colour composition.
Especially with marble or wood textures.
But that's somwwhat off topic here.

I would say that mordreth, the darkening and gothic DM has the best
themed areas conserning textures and colour compisition.

But that's maybe because those wads also have (according to me) the best architecture seen in wads up to date.

Void by Cyb.

Or perhaps av31, Killer Colours. ;)

The first would be good use of different colors in a series of scenes, and the second is good color coordination (being the gimmick of the level, of course).

I like to keep levels within a certain color range, with combinations of just two or so colors. Too many and things get noisy.

Interesting question, since what seems an excellent blend of colours to one person can be an over-the-top mess to another. Still...

Some obvious ones are parts of DV (mainly maps 03 and 04, where reds predominate) and Equinox (many highlights, with maps 01, 10 and 13 perhaps taking the top honours). Also good areas in, e.g., HR map26, and Marswar map28 (really quite simple, mainly blue, red and silver/grey, but very striking I think).

Zombie Heart of Death has always impressed me for its use of colours. (If you decide to play this wad, it's not joking - skill 4 is really really hard.)

The Ana's Dream is classy, and uses colour schemes that you don't see too often in Doom wads. Damnit, Doom maps need more purple!

I always thought Hacx's batshit-crazy colour schemes worked well, but I know quite a lot of people would disagree.

And if you're looking for godawful use of colours, Doom wads like Sky May Be have a lot to learn from stuff like This Map is GoodFun!.

Grazza said:

I always thought Hacx's batshit-crazy colour schemes worked well, but I know quite a lot of people would disagree.

Normal (real world) levels are quite good, but Cyberspace levels suck IMO.

Though not necessarily the best, 'Club DOOM' from 'Console DOOM' comes to mind as a nice example. Anyone?

Ariel.

Colour co-ordination, hehehe, I'll show you colout co-ordination.
I got bored of the brown look that is sooo common in Doom, and so I came up with this sollution: change it...

I wouldn't call this a success story, but it got a small laugh.

Here are some other screenies:
Blue pallete #1
Blue Pallete #2
...Vomit Doom

as I said befor... not a success story ;)

jetflock said:

As much as I want to slam you for being a shameless self-promoter, I must admit that is some excellent color coordination.

My favorite? Hard, because I haven't been around as much as some people. I'll just take a stab in the dark, pretending to know what the hell I'm talking about, and name a famous wad everybody likes, such as Vrack.

Fredrik said:

Vrack.

Blabla :O

Regarding the colors, Vrack is simply boring. It isn't that hard to connect gray and black colors and making them look good.

Browns and oranges rule :)
EDIT:
Because of Doom's pallette it is not possible, but Doom64 had moments of really awesome color coordination, like Greens and Blues in Map 03 or Rude Violets and Reds in Map 15, not to mention how scary dark blues can be in map 14.

imo, Doom palette needs to be revamped and be made more real, with more natural colors, i.e. less saturated blues and greens...

boris said:

I think some parts of my CC2 map are quite nice colored.

well i never start a wad without first thinking of the colour coordination. Its like the primary creative thing i work out first.