Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sitters

Welcome to Hell Released.

Hooray, comments on it in an hour, or somewhere around that, if i dont go and watch "Inseminoid" anyway

Chrono_T said:

God like sitters. Now, I dare you to make a.... HEAVEN LEVEL!

How about a larger episode? These levels all look good but are way too short compared to the amount of resources they need. Now, if we could have a little more to play in one piece that would be nice.

Put it in the Doomsday/Data/JDoom/Auto folder, and disable any other model packs to play it properly.

Can't wait to play this, Sitters. Cheers.

Mivalekan said:

How do I use .pk3 files with kickstart...

The "add" button under the wads tab can also be used to add pk3's.

I did what you said, tried to run it and got this error:

W_AddFile: Data\Doomsday.wad
W_AddFile: Data\Jdoom\Jdoom.wad
IWAD identification: 00056533
W_AddFile: WelcHell.pk3

Zip_Open: WelcHell.pk3: 'Data/Jdoom/Auto/WelcomeHell.dbs' is compressed. Compression is not supported.

Mivalekan said:

I did what you said, tried to run it and got this error:

W_AddFile: Data\Doomsday.wad
W_AddFile: Data\Jdoom\Jdoom.wad
IWAD identification: 00056533
W_AddFile: WelcHell.pk3

Zip_Open: WelcHell.pk3: 'Data/Jdoom/Auto/WelcomeHell.dbs' is compressed. Compression is not supported.

Download the leatest version of doomsday.

It is for version 1.8.6

No Dutch devill I am still thinking what my next level shall be.

Requirements for Doomsday:

# Pentium 166 (or equivalent) with 64Mb of RAM (providing that 3D models and special effects are disabled)
# Windows 98 (or newer), Mac OS X 10.3, or Linux
# DirectX 8 (or newer) on Windows
# A display adapter capable of 3D hardware acceleration
# At least one WAD file from the original Doom, Heretic, Hexen, etc.

So why do I FUCKING lag on all of your maps.

Mivalekan said:

Requirements for Doomsday:

# Pentium 166 (or equivalent) with 64Mb of RAM (providing that 3D models and special effects are disabled)
# Windows 98 (or newer), Mac OS X 10.3, or Linux
# DirectX 8 (or newer) on Windows
# A display adapter capable of 3D hardware acceleration
# At least one WAD file from the original Doom, Heretic, Hexen, etc.

So why do I FUCKING lag on all of your maps.

My maps are using all the features of doomsday, and they need much CPU power and memory.

If your video card is to slow than you must go to a lower resolution, isn’t that help than your computer is to slow.

Greetings.

sitters said:

No Dutch devill I am still thinking what my next level shall be.

I confess sitters I just downloaded doomsday again and played your map with it.
I couldn't resist, those screens just did look too impressive for me to ingnore your level.
And this time I had no problems your models did work fine.

Good luck on your next map, surprise us again with something cool looking:)

dutch devill said:

I confess sitters I just downloaded doomsday again and played your map with it.
I couldn't resist, those screens just did look too impressive for me to ingnore your level.
And this time I had no problems your models did work fine.

Good luck on your next map, surprise us again with something cool looking:)

Thanks,

I am still thinking what my next level shall be.

Greetings.

This is indeed a nice looking map but of your levels I've played, Welcome to Hell is my least favourite. Personally I found it more frustrating than fun.

I don't think the progression in this one has been thought out too well and the gameplay feels quite unbalanced.

Some things to work on in your next map:
Monster placement.
Path the player takes through the level.
A larger level or perhaps even a miniwad.

Don't get me wrong I think your doing a great job at discovering the posibilities for jDoom specific wads but I think underneath the gloss you could do with tightening the gameplay/design of your maps.

Might I suggest for your next map some kind of real world location. A shipyard/docks with cranes, warehouses etc etc might be a good choice (though I would really like to see you do a Silent Hill style hospital/mental asylum. Even though the theme is begining to become a bit cliche'd I think you'd do a great rendition).

BTW, Greetings

I think you should also make the next map run faster. I hate my old maps for Doomsday that lags like this, more or less.

First couple imps were ok, but when I opened that pentogrammar door.. all hell broke loose and I managed to kill them even though it was extremly hard, but later it turned into a God-like-Big-Fucking-Gun-9000-Blast-phem-ous-noclip-inside-out-frag-killing which obiviously ruins the designed gameplay which was already ruined by the Helllllllllagggg.

Better luck next time.

I did say in my earlier post this is the HELL and no fun , and there are traps where you come out as a corps. Hell is surviving and not a relaxing holiday.

Greetings.

Finally, I had to manually change the whole package to a pk3 file after downloading it (immediately set it as a .zip file instead).

Kick ass map indeed, quite unlike many things I've played in a long time.

ragnew said:

Kick ass map indeed, quite unlike many things I've played in a long time.

Thanks,

Yes it is a Kick ass map, if you don’t look carefully where the traps are to avoid them or running them fast over, then you are death. The imps are double strong. But when you know the pad and how to fight, you can finish the wad in about 20 minutes.

And DaniJ I don’t understand a larger map, this map is 4865 X 1728.

Attempt 1: Open the unmarked door (welcome to 1994 with bells on), kill the imps, go to 'jump' over the lava pit but get immediatley teleported into an inescapable deathtrap

Attempt 2: Avoid the main lava pool, open a door, kill all the imps, get trapped in a cage and wait to die

Attempt 3: Avoid the cage, dont know where to go, find a secret area, enter, get crushed

Attempt 4: Try to find my way through the holes in the walls, no, that doesnt work, go back out, find a hallway with rock bars in the way, try shooting the bars to break them (might as well, i mean i'm getting desperate here), no, that doesnt work. Wall-hump for a while, no secret doors, try and sneak through the secret area without being crushed, get halfway in then it activates anyway

The only good thing about this map is i watched some hilarious simpsons episodes while it was downloading.
"Want some cream?"
"Yyy-no"

And DaniJ I don’t understand a larger map, this map is 4865 X 1728.

What I mean is that most of the areas are very small and the map is pretty linear once you work out which ways you CANT go due to almost certain instant death. It would be nice to have seen more height variation eg in the caves you could have had ledges, walkways etc.

Traps are all well and good as long as: instant death traps are heavily telegraphed. No one enjoys being killed when they have seemingly done nothing wrong.

For instance the cage inside the first room would have been much better if the bars dropped, trapping you inside while some monsters teleported in leaving you with very little room to move. Then once the wave of imps has finished, raise the cage again. Much fairer and the player knows not to trigger the trap if they play again.

deathbringer said:

Attempt 1: Open the unmarked door (welcome to 1994 with bells on), kill the imps, go to 'jump' over the lava pit but get immediatley teleported into an inescapable deathtrap

Attempt 2: Avoid the main lava pool, open a door, kill all the imps, get trapped in a cage and wait to die

Attempt 3: Avoid the cage, dont know where to go, find a secret area, enter, get crushed

Attempt 4: Try to find my way through the holes in the walls, no, that doesnt work, go back out, find a hallway with rock bars in the way, try shooting the bars to break them (might as well, i mean i'm getting desperate here), no, that doesnt work. Wall-hump for a while, no secret doors, try and sneak through the secret area without being crushed, get halfway in then it activates anyway

The only good thing about this map is i watched some hilarious simpsons episodes while it was downloading.
"Want some cream?"
"Yyy-no"

Every trap has a hint.

Trap 1 look up and you see the bars.
Trap 2 avoid the squares flats.
Trap 3 avoid the place between the ghosts there is a small path between the lava and ghosts.
Trap 4 avoid the places where are skeletons on the ground.

That’s all , and the rest is fighting.

In the future I shall place a big 3d arrow with writing on, here is a trap be carefull.

Greetings.

Edit : and of course you know, you can't walk over lava.

I understand what your saying sitters but it is an unwritten rule of good map/game design that if you're going to include traps in a map, then you must educate players as to the "rules" of your traps in a situation that isn't life or death before hand.

For example the lava is particularly nasty one as Doom has already educated the player to think that lava IS hazardous but doesn't cause instant death.

Obviously theres no need to go with the big flashing arrows if you do this correctly.

DaniJ said:

I understand what your saying sitters but it is an unwritten rule of good map/game design that if you're going to include traps in a map, then you must educate players as to the "rules" of your traps in a situation that isn't life or death before hand.

For example the lava is particularly nasty one as Doom has already educated the player to think that lava IS hazardous but doesn't cause instant death.

Obviously theres no need to go with the big flashing arrows if you do this correctly.

Maybe it is a little bit over reacting of me, but in the early days ( 1995..) My friends and I make a lot of mods for doom, and send it with a modem, and it was a challenge to make traps that has a very little hint, but deathly, and you must save a lot before the finish.
But I release the time is changed, the fighting spirit and the full Harding.

Regards.

sitters said

I did say in my earlier post this is the HELL and no fun

o_O.....

Although the beginning was waaaaaaay to rough, I had a good time once I got the hang of it. I personally would have like to of seen more outside stuff, however.

As far as the traps go, by the time I made it to the outside area, I got the hang of what you were doing, so I was more alert for the various traps afterwords.

Anyway, next time you should probably avoid putting imps inside of rocks and anything to do with HOM (I'm referring to the trap that the ghosts were at; I think I'm going to call it... illusio-trap).

Changing subjects slightly, I would have to say that "The Aztec" remains my favorite of your maps so far.

Nuxius said:

o_O.....

Although the beginning was waaaaaaay to rough, I had a good time once I got the hang of it. I personally would have like to of seen more outside stuff, however.

I have made the imps 2 times stronger, may be to much.

And I also want to make bigger rooms, but the FPS don’t let me ( I use a lot a dynamic lighting).
When my FPS is dropping below 35 then I go to a other room ( and then it is still not playable for a lot of people ). I am waiting on the new bias lightning for doomsday.

Greetings

I was referring to figuring out the traps for the first time, not the imps. The imps were fine, had no problems with them.

Moving on, seperating two outside areas shouldn't take down the FPS.

Like say, at the end of the outside area, where you go into the teleport, you could have it go to a different outside area that's completely seperate from the first.

I should have explained myself better before, sorry about that.

But yeah, I totally understand what you're saying on huge outside areas bringing the FPS down, heh, I'm having that problem on a map I'm currently making.

I happen to be using a compiled from CVS version of Doomsday atm that has an early WIP BIAS implementation. As a test I replaced all your dynamic lights in Hell Released with new BIAS sources and I get a rock solid 85fps. So things are looking good for the future if you want to make larger levels with more advanced lighting.

BTW it is my understanding that Doomsday will convert dynamic lights to BIAS sources when they are large enough so all your levels will get a massive speed boost once the next version of Doomsday is released.