Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bejiitas_wrath

Doom Press Release maps.

I have news that I have converted the Doom Press Release maps to work with Prboom. More news once I finish bug fixing the maps.

I hope you like this when I release it.

They are E1M1-E1M4.

bejiitas_wrath said:

I have news that I have converted the Doom Press Release maps to work with Prboom. More news once I finish bug fixing the maps.

I hope you like this when I release it.

They are E1M1-E1M4.

This would be great, about how much more work do you think you need to do on them?

Ok first of all. Doesn't Prboom already have that? I mean, isn't PrBoom based on MBF? Also, there's only 3 maps so why are they E1M1-E1M4?

I don't think PrBoom does, but WinMBF certainly runs the maps. And yeah, the maps are for the 3 different episodes, not the first only.

kristus said:

isn't PrBoom based on MBF?

No, it's based on Boom 2.02, was merged with LxDoom, and had support for many (but not all) MBF features added.

Funny, I would have based it off of MBF seeing as it has a wide range of bugfixes and afaik also is a lot faster than Boom.

But then I'm not a coder.

kristus said:
Funny, I would have based it off of MBF seeing as it has a wide range of bugfixes and afaik also is a lot faster than Boom.

The reason is that proff and cph merged their projects, which were PrBoom 2.02 (the plain Boom port to Windows) and LxDoom. They weren't working directly from the DOS Boom code.

kristus said:

Swings and roundabouts, I guess. If Proff and cph had decided to base their combined port on MBF, it would have meant throwing out a fair amount of work that had been done (e.g. Prboom 2.02's support for a wide range of resolutions and making it a Windows program) and features that had already been implemented (including some Boom 2.02 stuff).

Also, while MBF included many bug fixes, it also introduced some problems (see this list). Some of its fixes were also unwelcome for a port that intended to offer the option of emulating the behaviour of the original games as closely as possible (e.g. some key grabs no longer possible).

MBF originally started out as a project to emulate the PR beta, yes, and the maps are included in the engine. I share some of the responsibility for it becoming a fully blown port by continually pestering Lee with questions on how to code some things. The guy was a saint to put up with me. Very helpful, often rattling off a chunk of code at work without even looking at the main source. The name, Marine's Best Friend, came from the friendly AI he developed based on a request from Mordeth. That's how the Wolf3d dogs came about, as a demo for the AI, hence the name. Heh, he actually didn't know the dog sprites were ripped from Wolf3D, he just found them in a WAD.

I don't think anyone realises just how many bugs Lee found and fixed, most of which no one knew existed until that point. Every beta he sent me (there were probably at least 10) had at least half a dozen bug fixes on Boom and the original source release. MBF was based off the Boom 2.01 codebase if memory serves, and Lee developed many similar and superior fixes to the problems addressed in 2.02.