Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

map names in automap

My one big gripe about pwads is that the map name either never shows up on the automap, (or in the case of jdoom, at the start of the level) or the author never puts the map name that's in the txt into the pwad. Is there a font for both the intermission, and automap letters, and which resources in NWT should I look for when replacing them?

My one big gripe about pwads is that the map name either never shows up on the automap...

If the PWAD does not declare the name of the map - how is the engine supposed to know what the map is called?

The only thing an engine can do if the name is not provided via a custom intermission name patch graphic or other means (ie a MapInfo definition) is to display something like:

mywad.wad : MAP01

In vanilla DOOM your only option is to edit the intermission patch.

Most sourceports offer a better means to change these things (eg Doomsday has MapInfo DED definitions where the map name can be changed by simply editing a text string).

DaniJ said:

No, you can mess with DeHackEd to change string-names of maps, but you only get about 3 character tolerance, which means that the new name cannot be longer/shorter than original by 3 characters. Pretty shitty.

DaniJ said:

If the PWAD does not declare the name of the map - how is the engine supposed to know what the map is called?

The only thing an engine can do if the name is not provided via a custom intermission name patch graphic or other means (ie a MapInfo definition) is to display something like:

mywad.wad : MAP01

Most sourceports offer a better means to change these things (eg Doomsday has MapInfo DED definitions where the map name can be changed by simply editing a text string).

And how would I use doomsday to do this? (Yes, I've searched through the readme)

And how would I use doomsday to do this? (Yes, I've searched through the readme)

You can use a MapInfo definition for this purpose. Save the following to eg MyLevel.ded and load it along with your map:

Map Info {
  ID = "MAP01"
  Name = "My cool level"
  Author = "Invictius"
  Par time = 30
  Gravity = 1
  Sky height = 0.49
  Horizon offset = -0.105
  Sky Layer 1 {
    Flags = enable
    Texture = "SKY1"
  }
}
(or you can add it to your PWAD in the special DD_DEFNS lump (plain text lump))

More info can be found in the DED reference @ http://www.doomsdayhq.com/doc_dedref.php

No, you can mess with DeHackEd to change string-names of maps, but you only get about 3 character tolerance, which means that the new name cannot be longer/shorter than original by 3 characters. Pretty shitty.

That won't change the name in the intermission. The only way to do that with vanilla DOOM is via a custom patch graphic.